1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the NineBall Recoil Spring guide set is junk, 2 out of 3 that ive used fell apart, and the front half almost always comes apart, its a cool idea with bearings but doesnt work. the only part i like about it was the bushing.

Yeah that bushing is nice....I am keeping it for a future TM1911 I might buy...

The idea of the 9Ball guide is good, just very poor execution....

Are there any tricks to fitting guarder barrels for TM? I have to manually push down on the top of the chamber in order for the slide to rack. Otherwise, the slide locks up and can't be racked. It looks like if I put a larger angled cut on the barrel's link area (the lower portion that slides over the hopup/inner barrel assembly), it should allow the barrel to lower itself easier as the slide is pulled back. Good idea?

My 1911s:

Pict1356.jpg

My first Western Arms pistol, a Para Ordnance P14.45 offered to me as a gift, by my friend and late Para Ordnance president Ted Szabo.

Pict1383.jpg

Wilson Combat FBI Trial pistol (Western Arms).

Pict1512.jpg

Wilson Combat Professional (metal slide Western Arms).

Pict1492.jpg

MEU-SOC Early version (customized with a metallic Springfield slide Western Arms).

Pict1623.jpg

Wilson Stealth Defense System (Western Arms).

Pict1702.jpg

MEU-SOC Late model (Western Arms).

Pict1730.jpg

Kimber MARSOC (customized with a metal slide, Western Arms).

Dsc_0856.jpg

Colt M1911A1, 1943 vintage with correct details of the pistol of that era. Customized with a Guarder full-metal frame/slide/barrel kit.

Dsc_0811.jpg

S&W Gunsite pistol (Western Arms).

Dsc_0880.jpg

Colt Officers model, customized with a Prime full-metal frame/slide kit (Western Arms).

Some more:

Dsc_1754.jpg

Colt Delta Elite, based on Tokyo Marui 1911A1, with a full-metal frame/slide kit.

Dsc_1184.jpg

Nighthawk Custom Vickers Tactical. I own a real Nighthawk Talon, so when I saw that, I had to have it (Western Arms). The funny thing is that we have tested the real Vickers Tactical in our E-zine some months ago, and this replica has the same serial number with the real pistol we tested.

Dsc_1386.jpg

Para Ordnance P13.45 (or as Western Arms calls it P14.45CC). I have a special love for Commander-size pistols, so when I learned about it, I had to have it. It now features taller sights that I can see.

DSC_1751.jpg

The king of my collection. Western Arms Colt Series 80 Collectors Edition. The bluing on this pistol resembles the Royal Blue color that Colt's custom shop does on some of their models. The most beautiful pistol in my collection.

DSC_1730.jpg

Colt Series 80 lightly customized. Based on Western Arms Colt Series 80 CQB, minus the rear sight.

DSC_1759.jpg

Another Colt Delta Elite I build from spare parts I had left, from various projects.

COBRA 1911

CobMov.jpg

Movie Links:

Sylvester Stallone's 1986 movie has a lot to answer for. "Look at that 1911 with the Cobra grips!! Look at that weird sub machine gun (Jatimatic) with laser sight!"

Cobragrip.jpg

CobMov5.jpg

CobMov7.jpg

His Colt Government Gold Cup National Match with 9mm conversion slide unit was the star for me. At the time of the movie Colt had just released the conversion kit for the Government to convert the .45 to a 9mm. The conversion kit contained a slide assembly, recoil spring set etc. The question is; did the movie armourer decide to use the 9mm conversion kit for ease during filming, or were they following the fashion for the "Wondernine" which was pretty much the 'in' calibre at the time and to suggest commonality of ammunition between his pistol and sub machine gun? The movie did make a point of showing the 9mm mag loaded with Glaser safety slugs, something else new to the market at that time.

Movie armourers often use what's available or easiest to work with to get the desired results. Even though .45's are used in the movies often, it's perhaps not as often as one would think.

Previous 9mm movie 1911's or substitutes include:

# The Wild bunch - 1911's were used during the static scenes, but when it came to shooting 9mm Star Model B's were used as the M1911's couldn't be made to fire with blanks reliably.

# The Untouchables - another Model B during firing scenes!

# It's the same story with Extreme Prejudice with Nick Nolte. His character was based on that of a real Texas Ranger who used a .45 Colt Commander, however for reliability the armourers gave Nolte a Commander in 9mm as the .45 Commander didn't function correctly with blanks.

# Another example is Hunter with Steve McQueen - Colt Government Series 70, yet in mag changing scenes a 9mm magazine can be spotted..

Steven Seagal's Out for Justice movie - Seagal is a 1911 fan in real life and his guns make interesting study pieces. During certain mag changes is that the tell stripe of a 9mm 1911 mag I see?

# Let's not forget Terminator 2. Arnies 2 tone .45, often mistaken for a Combat Elite (I thought it was when I first saw it at the flicks). Closer scrutiny thanks to the DVD and information and photos taken by the current owner of the actual gun itself show it clearly to be a Colt 9mm calibre gun (built using a Series 70 slide and Detonics frame).

Cobra, Airsoft:

No matter what, I wanted the "Cobra" gun, and it was going to be a .45, well it's the calibre he should have had anyway! ;) (Interestingly years ago, MGC made a Cobra model gun using the .45 National Match). Western Arms released the Cobra 9mm Government which was a very close representation of the movie gun, and it seems strange point out differences between WA's offering and the movie item when I'm making mine a .45 version but.....meh!

WA's OE gun has an Elliason rear sight but it should have Accro, front sight is a partridge type and the movie one is a ramp although I have seen pictures of 9mm conversion kits with the former. Grip screws are sliver on the WA instead of black.

My version is based on the Series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match, so a Prime metal kit was the obvious choice.

Main donor gun - WA SCW3 Cobra

For a .45 calibre barrel - I chose blued with a polished silver chamber as that most resembled the 'Hero gun'.

Some black grip screws were put in place of the OE silver.

The rear sight was changed for the correct and more carry friendly Colt-Accro type.

Internally, the usual tweaks were applied to make it function as it should.

CobrAir.jpg

CobrAir1.jpg

CobrAir3.jpg

CobrAir4.jpg

CobrAir5.jpg