AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Unicorn AKS74 I received yesterday. My own wood foregrips too, and they were constructed out of a block of Fir. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised in the quality of the steel parts for the gun. Took quite awhile to get it assembled to my standards, but after taking some time tweaking it, its solid now and I could definitely break down a door with the gun. Its all steel and weights quite a bit. My only complaint is the way the receiver was stamped, the fake bolt gets hung up when it hits a spot on its slide rail while pulling it half way back. And I know, I forgot to put the fake cleaning rod back in it when I took the pics :rolleyes:

100_1887.jpg

100_1886.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm glad my guide is helpful to ya'll!

GRIM!- Thanks for continuing to set the bar higher and higher- you give us all something to aspire to with each 'tweak' you add to your weapons! Keep it up!

I can see it now, when we are all old and gray, we will see folks like GRIM! pulling out their Airsoft AK collections to show the kids what weapons from the Iraq war looked like- since by then war will have been declared obsolete and we will be driving flying cars...... :rolleyes:

Slainte!

Hehe yeah but sssh i allways goto get a new acount like evry week since im so "popular" with the admins for making a statement of my opnion on PTW "cheap prices" :P

Get a kit on http://www.russianmaniaworkshop.com/shop.asp Ting the owner is great i have bought totaly 4 AK kits from him and he have a starters kit now, the AK are mostly about 2000 svenska kronor atm :)

Hmm I realise this is a slightly different request but would anyone care to take or show me a picture of some kind of AK with an ACOG mounted.

Even the one from CoD4 would do but I cant seem to find one from the side.

Thanks.

Thanks for the pics, slvrgtstang. That's the first time I saw a non-retailer pic of a unicorn AKS74.

Yep, I searched for pics of the gun before I purchased it, but there were none to be found. Can hold a 9.6v 4/5A battery too, and space to spare in the rear for the plug and possibly a fuse if you want to use one. Did I mention its ALL STEEL? No pot metal other than my G&G gearbox I put in it. I don't recommend buying the Unicorn AKS74 if your not willing to put some time and effort into the gun. It is not one where you can take it out of the box and use it right then and there, it requires disassembly and reassembly and locktite on all of the screws.

Here are some more pics for those interested:

100_1890.jpg

9.6v 2000mah Elite 4/5A battery.

100_1884.jpg

100_1883.jpg

You can see here where I slid the fake bolt over and over again with some grease to try and wear in the stamped steel slide part. Its sliding much better now, but still takes some force to pull it back.

100_1882.jpg

This night, I was looking on the "news" and saw a weird AK in the hands of Mr. Usama bin Laden. It had an AKS74 stock but an AKM flashhider and a bakelite 7.62 magazine. Didn´t see if it had any of the other characteristics of an AKM.

Do anyone know.. something about this?

This, by your description sounds like a Khyber Pass Rifle. Newly created in the early 80s as the soviet invasion of

Afghanistan began, the Mujideen [sp?] rebels took the battlefield pickups of the Soviet AKs-74. Those were the standard infantry rifle of the time. But they Mujihadeen[sp?] didn't have any of this new caliber (5.45,mmX39] so they took off the folding stocks add flashhiders and put them on their own AKMs. Thus producing the Khyber Pass gun, which is named for the big illegal arms market in the road into Afghanistan and the place where they got started.

Edited by dookieboy

Great looking AKs guys, after reading what Slvrgtstang had to say and show about his Unicorn AK I kind of want to scrap my plans for the RMW AK 104 kit and go for Unicorn's AK 105, I always wanted an AK 104/105 but never went through and it looks like I'm lost again... What do you guys think I should start out with?

I mean if price is your big deciding factor, the Unicorn is an option, but as far as I hear, the quality and fitment of the RMW are going to be top knotch and won't require near the amount of fitment. If you've always had your heart set on a RMW AK, then I'd say go for it, and don't get the clone. Cost of shipping to the USA was basically $200 for Unicorn AKS74. However, I bought it for the steel parts as if I were buying an Inokatsu kit, and I feel it was worth the $200 for just that.

Yeah it looks that way in pictures, but for whatever reason, thats just the color of the pieces that are that color. Almost looks like there was paint or something sprayed on them... Maybe it was a release agent in the molds, or a high content of Iron Oxide in the steel when it was formed. Its got to be something to do with the casting process.

Great looking AKs guys, after reading what Slvrgtstang had to say and show about his Unicorn AK I kind of want to scrap my plans for the RMW AK 104 kit and go for Unicorn's AK 105, I always wanted an AK 104/105 but never went through and it looks like I'm lost again... What do you guys think I should start out with?

If you want the gun for the occasional use or as a wall hanger, I'd go with the clone. If you want it as your main gun, I'd get a VFC or RMW gun. The RMW kits are cheaper than the VFC guns, but you need to get a mechbox for them or upgrade the Cyma box Ting sells with them, so you'll probably end up at about the same cost as a VFC (which is already great out of the box).

On top of that, if you go VFC, you'll get pinned construction as opposed to Guarder/Inokatsu/RMW's use of small screws. That is, unless Ting decided to change that in recent models.

I'm currently cursing the grub screw construction. The hexagonal insert on the grub screw that holds down the foregrip retainer stripped so now I can't remove it. Which means that it's stuck on there and I can't realign my barrel to fix some feeding problems. One of these days I'll get a RS retainer and modify the barrel so it will fit and then carefully machine in holes for pins.