AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, if everyone is so *fruitcage* unpleased with the finish just shoe polish the hell out of it, or better yet, steel wool the hell out of it. Or both. I used a brand new shoe shiner on my AKS74N at first and it went pitch black and really shiny. But then I got tired of that and used steel wool instead.

Now the finish reminds a lot of VFC´s finish, kinda greyish and shiny, allmost all of that spray painted look (which is realistic) disapeared.

I'm not going wear out the finish on the Dboy's since I'm probably going to sell the ak. Not everybody wants their ak to look all worn out.

Does it have foam in it, what brand and where did you find it?

Foam: Yes

Brand: Element

Seller: Gunners

Build quality: Very well done

But be careful, I ordered the Aluminum version considering the weight difference and they still sent me a Steel one, I'm going to have strengthen my front end as a result.

Edited by SACSlym
I'm not going wear out the finish on the Dboy's since I'm probably going to sell the ak. Not everybody wants their ak to look all worn out.

I know, it was a crappy advice. Still, just saying, if you´re unpleased with the dull finish there are ways to get rid of it.

And if you don´t want to use the steel wool, the shoe polish still stands, sounds ridiculous. But it worked for me.

edit:

I´ll compensate all the ###### with some pics, I promise.

Edited by kaptenn
Foam: Yes

Brand: Element

Seller: Gunners

Build quality: Very well done

But be careful, I ordered the Aluminum version considering the weight difference and they still sent me a Steel one, I'm going to have strengthen my front end as a result.

Thank you very much for the info!

Ive been tempted to do the RPKS74 myself using the Dboys as a base, but the furniture is a major kick in the wallet! That an the outter barrel I imagine will be a bit tougher to secure that a TM. Unless I had a new one turned....

Nice job on your front end and stock though, I just started hacking up a front site and gas tube over the weekend :)

Also is that a .031 body? Your weathering looks pretty good.

Kaptenn, how in the world do you spit shine a receiver? I can't imagine not getting polish on my uniform!

Kaptenn, how in the world do you spit shine a receiver? I can't imagine not getting polish on my uniform!

"Spit shine"? I have no idea. I used a brand new pocket size shoe polish, not the old school stuff, that wouldn´t have worked.

Man, lets drop the shoe polish discussions.

Ive been tempted to do the RPKS74 myself using the Dboys as a base, but the furniture is a major kick in the wallet! That an the outter barrel I imagine will be a bit tougher to secure that a TM. Unless I had a new one turned....

how were you planning to adress the problem of the stock latch mechanism. i had an idea for a half arsed one where you basicly butcher the release button etc from a 74M stock and rig an RPK stock onto the stock hinge... OK its not proper, but it'd work.

You got any more info on that sidefolder? some closeup pics? Looks pretty cool :)

I'll get more pictures sometime in the near future.

Basically, what I did was I removed the stock trunion from the body, and cut off the part that extends inside the AK, creating a flat surface. I then cut the flanges off of the AKs body (which is the Dboys one that sells seperately, btw). I mated a cabinet hinge to the body (clamped to the inside w/ a piece of 1/8" sheet aluminum, similar to the way the aftermarket romanian style folders attach, iirc), and drilled and tapped the stock trunion to attach to the other side of the hinge. This means that I can use any AK stock on it, basically. It's pretty cool. I've got a latch for the unfolded position that is basically a "hook" onto the rear of the AK receiver. I'm trying to devise a folding latch that does not use the AK stock itself, just the trunion/folder, so that I can swap it out for any stock I want, whenever.

Edited by Whitedingo

Got my RK02 today! Just wished someone would have told me about the whole finish change before. :(

Still I'm very happy with it!

1-7.jpg

4-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

2-6.jpg

(Reminds me of a ICS or CA AK74/SL105 rather than a VFC)

-Oh, and STAR mags work with mines. Don't know if that was mentioned before but fits like a charm. ;)