AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this varient of AK's. the AK105 for moterized units in Russia. Didn't have the folding stock and didnt have any plastic grips.

What I think you should do is carve in medium size russian font some sort of saying or a unit number or just anything related to what this weapon is used for. I think it will add to your bad *albatross* Bakelite mag.

Great choice of AEG, tobad CA is the only company to make this varient.

^Never knew it actually exists in RS. Anyone has any pics of it in Russian service? THanks!

It doesn't. He's pulling comments out of his rear end. AGAIN. The AK105 only exists in one configuration - polymer furniture, side-folding stock. Oh, and it looks like he forgot that G&G makes the RK105, another incorrect attempt at an AK105.

Edited by PlasticMag
I'd love to get my AK-105 set up with a metal side-folder and wood grips. :wub:

And it should get here later today. Pictures and initial impressions when it arrives!

VFC? Cant wait to see what you've got to say about it.

Yup. Just arrived. Gimme a moment to up-wrap, initial impressions will follow in this post.

EDIT1: Alrighty. Initial impressions are these: The box looks rather beat-up on the inside, but otherwise fine. The stock has a bit of wobble to it, which I feel is a bit unusual (most of the RS folders I've used have been absolutely solid) but it's much better than my TM AKS-47. The finish is matte black, very similar in appearance and texture to my Arsenal SAS M-7 (AKS-47). Externally, everything appears to be typical Kalashnikov. The most unusual thing is, though, that unlike most Kalashnikovs, which have very optimistic range settings for the rear sight, the rear sight on the AK-105 is only graduated out to a reasonable 500 meters. I have only two small annoyances at the externals (one of which could be true to the real AK-105), the first being that the button to extend the folding stock sticks out of the butt, even when the stock is not folded, and the second being that the bolt covers the same distance as the bolt on the TMs, with only a slightly manlier sound when it slams home. I'm not sure if this is true to the real thing, but the receiver cover is smooth and not scalloped. Removing the flashhider reveals the threads underneath (which appear to be typical AK-74-style threads). The flashhider even appears to have the gas expansion chamber of the real thing.... One other surprise is that the cleaning rod is threaded, but the thread is too small (in diameter) to work with my Otis cleaning kit.

If anyone wants me to break that up to make it more easily read, I can do so. Mostly just writing stream-of-consciousness there.

EDIT2:

AK105_flso.jpg

AK105_frso.jpg

AKs_ursm.jpg

Over the right side, you can see my faithful Benelli M1 Super 90. On the left, you can see an errant Target bag.

Edited by Jagdraben
The most unusual thing is, though, that unlike most Kalashnikovs, which have very optimistic range settings for the rear sight, the rear sight on the AK-105 is only graduated out to a reasonable 500 meters. I have only two small annoyances at the externals (one of which could be true to the real AK-105), the first being that the button to extend the folding stock sticks out of the butt, even when the stock is not folded, and the second being that the bolt covers the same distance as the bolt on the TMs, with only a slightly manlier sound when it slams home. I'm not sure if this is true to the real thing, but the receiver cover is smooth and not scalloped.

Very nice! And yes, the rear sight and stock button are true to form. So is the smooth receiver cover. The bolt, well the bolt's just something we live with.

SiG 55xs, yes. FNCs, probably not.

Of course, most of the differences between the classic Kalashnikov and the Galil could be made by a skilled armorer/gunsmith. The differences between the 55X and FNC can only be accounted for at the beginning of manufacture.

Edited by Jagdraben
SiG 55xs, yes. FNCs, probably not.

Of course, most of the differences between the classic Kalashnikov and the Galil could be made by a skilled armorer/gunsmith. The differences between the 55X and FNC can only be accounted for at the beginning of manufacture.

Well, anyone with a kit can turn an AK into a Galil into a CR-21

vektorcr21rightse2.jpg

But I don't think most people would call the CR-21 an "AK variant"

Because of the loose definition of the word variant in this topic title however, I guess that ever weapon in the link I posted above would be able to have a post in this thread.

Looks like any such "kit" would involve replacing everything but possibly the bolt.

Of course, any division between the Galil and the AK would be entirely arbitrary and random. And, quite frankly, making a seperate Galil thread when they're so few and so expensive is like dividing an M14 thread into M14 and Mk14 threads.

Yes, it's VFC. No, I won't do a vid, because I don't want the bloody recoil thing (I've already removed the coat-hanger). It screwed with the bolt/hop-cover closing all the way on the power of the spring, I've never noticed the bolt to move on the real thing (other than the recoil and, "Hey! There's another round in the chamber!"), and even if I did, the short overall movement of the thing would get on my nerves. With the recoil disabled, I can at least work the bolt the full length.

Also: The AK-105 strapped into my Eagle A-III (as it would likely be transported to/from game sites). Inspired by pictures of USSF strapping Kalashnikovs to their packs. As soon as I can find my Gadsen, it's going on there in place of the IR flag.

AK105_frsbp.jpg

If by "safe" you mean it won't fall out, then yes, I think it's safe. If by "safe" you mean it won't get damaged, then no. I fully expect that if I have it strapped there that the pack will do nothing to protect the gun against, say, a bus running into the pack (or against damage caused otherwise incidentally).

It doesn't have broken stock tangs, which instantly make it better than the G&G RK-103 I once owned. It's of steel construction, possesses a comfortable side-folding stock, and has a siderail to mount optics (or to mount mounts for optics). I'm not in love with it, but as a replica or a mantel piece, it's a fine piece of workmanship. Whether or not it works well in a skirmish is another matter, entirely, as I haven't been to one in ages. But there was one last weekend, so there might be one tomorrow.

Well, anyone with a kit can turn an AK into a Galil into a CR-21

vektorcr21rightse2.jpg

But I don't think most people would call the CR-21 an "AK variant"

Because of the loose definition of the word variant in this topic title however, I guess that ever weapon in the link I posted above would be able to have a post in this thread.

Based on the gas system I would say that it is an AK variant.