AK & Variants Picture Thread

how solid is the gun with the stock folded out? folded in?

The stock is rock solid when it is out. I have really tugged on it and I can't even get it to move side to side. If I hold the gun by the end of the stock and swing it around there is a tiny bit of vertical rock but frankly I'm abusing the gun to get even that.

When the stock is folded it stays in place but it seems like the alignment with the latch is a little off (it clips on the very bottom of the attachment plate on the stock). However, this is mainly cosmetic because once the stock is snapped home in the folded position it is not going to pop loose. For all I know this is simply a replication of the real gun and it's all in my head.

btw do you have any comments on the wood? i am most likely going to replace my wood with a VFC set or try and source a real set..

I took the whole front end apart today to do some aging work and got to have a better looks at the wood. It is not a accurate replication of RS AK wood but it does look the part (functional but a bit rough around the edges) and is very solid. My plan is to hunt down some RS AK hand guards when I get the chance but in the meantime I would like to strip the wood, ding it up some, and then try Grim's used motor oil and burial treatment on it.

last question, did you find any rust or damage when you got it from rsov?

The only damage on the whole package was a hole punched in the box itself. RSOV actually just tuned the box inside out for shipping and even went as a far as stuffing in a few other items that I had ordered. However, I never really cared about boxes so it didn't bother me. The gun was minty when I received it. Honestly I was hoping for some rust but I'm sure it is nothing that a bit of salt water cannot take care of.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying things out. I actually go pistols only most of the time (since I'm more causal than serious) so finding a comfortable way to 'wear' an AEG, especially a heavy one, doesn't come naturally to me.

If anyone has a suggestion I'd be happy to hear it.

Still trying things out. I actually go pistols only most of the time (since I'm more causal than serious) so finding a comfortable way to 'wear' an AEG, especially a heavy one, doesn't come naturally to me.

If anyone has a suggestion I'd be happy to hear it.

Steel Wool works. As does these foam backed sanding pads I found at my local Hardware store. They work really well actually. Look back a few pages to my Worn AIM-in-progress.

Today I was reminded of how much I like the looks of the underfolding stock, but also how much I hate it from a practical point of view.

Got my RS type 56-1 from Gunners today. It´s more durable than the ground, all I´m gonna do now is to install a higher spring.

th_35624_DSC06619_122_340lo.jpg

th_35674_DSC06620_122_906lo.jpg

th_35717_DSC06623_122_364lo.jpg

th_35752_DSC06624_122_85lo.jpg

th_34968_DSC06598_122_211lo.jpg

th_35086_DSC06599_122_15lo.jpg

th_35134_DSC06602_122_1165lo.jpg

th_35174_DSC06605_122_201lo.jpg

th_35563_DSC06613_122_801lo.jpg

th_35793_DSC06628_122_584lo.jpg

Stupid imagevenue, resizing the pictures.

Edited by kaptenn
Random Q: is there any clone AK74 with either solid poly, folding poly, or skeleton stock that doesn't have problems with the stock tangs snapping off? Seems like every single one is weak in that area, from the reviews I've read.

The ones a few of my friends have played around with the stocks have either cracked or the AEG had major internal problems.

Key word is clone kids. Buy an actual MFG'd AK74 from a trusted brand name. G&G, VFC, Inokatsu, RS, TM, and ICS.

You get what you pay for.

EDIT: The only clone company I can think of that makes a rugged AK is Kalash.

Edited by BoE.Solidius

I havent uploaded any pics in a while so here goes

VFC AKS74N with RS plum furniture, mags and sling (looking a lot more shiny than normal)

pum.jpg

Kalash AKS74U with compression strap

su.jpg

Weeee :)

Edited by Fin
Key word is clone kids. Buy an actual MFG'd AK74 from a trusted brand name. G&G, VFC, Inokatsu, RS, TM, and ICS.

You get what you pay for.

EDIT: The only clone company I can think of that makes a rugged AK is Kalash.

:rofl: so you suggest the brand that is most infamous for breaking stock tangs of all time. classic.

kalash/dboys stock hinges have been known to break if they are the pot metal ones. the never full steel (except the barrel) AKSU however has steel stock hinges and should have no such problems.

The only breakage I observed and worried about on my old RK-02 (and not the new one) was the locking button on the rear.

Side folding wise, I would go with the following:

-VFC

-RMW/Inokatsu/LCT

-DBoys/Kalash (if you're gonna be rough with your AK, stop at the above two)

The CYMA is still a little weak in that area, in my opinion.

Anyone who thinks the CYMA AK series isn't reliable and rugged has either never thrown one in the mud and kicked it around or is just ###### off they paid VFC 400 and that everyone else only has to pay 120.

Thinking a brand name soley makes a product better is ignorant, only testing and usage of every brand from year to year can qualify you to talk trash. This little bee found that with one quick grease cleaning and a Tightbore his CYMA AKSU could out perform and out last the 2 VFC AKSU's he had previously upgraded. When I chrono her, the FPS is ALWAYS 379.2-379.8 never above or below, and I've rarely seen a gun accomplish that sort of consistency, certainly not the VFC.

Having both a VFC and a CYMA, I can definitely say the quality of materials used in the VFC is far superior than that of the CYMA. The wood and the metal of the CYMA definitely feel cheap. That's fine, because they are, but saying the CYMA is as good as the VFC is utter tosh IMO

Anyone who thinks the CYMA AK series isn't reliable and rugged has either never thrown one in the mud and kicked it around or is just ###### off they paid VFC 400 and that everyone else only has to pay 120.

Thinking a brand name soley makes a product better is ignorant, only testing and usage of every brand from year to year can qualify you to talk trash. This little bee found that with one quick grease cleaning and a Tightbore his CYMA AKSU could out perform and out last the 2 VFC AKSU's he had previously upgraded. When I chrono her, the FPS is ALWAYS 379.2-379.8 never above or below, and I've rarely seen a gun accomplish that sort of consistency, certainly not the VFC.

Easy nitro. Calm the hell down. I will repeat my belief (backed by experience) that the CYMA AKs will not stand up to being abused, externally. Internally, maybe.

That said. Take a chill pill, because you've got some nasty reverse fanboyism going on.

I dot trust kalash after seeing my m8's SU after a drop fron 1M id rekomend RMW or VFC they are STRONG as AK should be! :D

... but thats the old one. The new full steel ones are probably more rugged. We just have to wait and see.

Some reports state that VFC / Ino internals arent especially good, not even Cyma level.

VFC internals are perfectly fine. They're not the best but thats why aftermarket upgrade parts exist.

The only real beef that i have with VFC internals is that they come with plastic bushings and they dont locktite their piston heads.