hugh_b

Painted Weapons Picture Thread

To start there are three finishes going on here: the Steyr reciever, Steyr mag well and magazine, and the cylinder side plates.

-Steyr receier - 2 coats flat black acrylic epoxy, 2 coats black shellac, rubbed on silver (spray a piece of cloth, let dry, rub on surface), 2 coats clear shellac, 1 coat mahogany shellac (for rust tint), run with scouring pad in 1 direction (don't zig-zag, it WILL show) for the carded look, buff with cloth. If you see uneven spots run the scouring pad on it some more and rebuff. The trick is you have 2 surfaces that the eye picks up: the actual painted object underneath and the scuffed and polished shellac which acts like tiny parallel mirrors picking up the glare and really accenting on those carded marks.

-Steyr mag well - same as above but minus the silver rub and rust tint

-side plates - same as above but minus silver rub, rust tint, and scouring

Edit:

The reason I went to shellac is that I find clear lacquer to never, ever really dry and it doesn't take well to the scouring process.

Edited by renegadecow

AOR1 done with Montana 94 and Krylon Sand (base color), using these stencils: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Digital-Camo-Vinyl-Airbrush-Stencil-Kit-HUGE-24-x-26-Camouflage-/191060724036?hash=item2c7c1b4944

Was not happy with the result. If you pay attention, you'll notice that the pixels are all over the place, while in actual AOR they tend to cluster: areas with a lot of 3rd and/or 4th, and areas which are clean. I have since painted the gun in AOR2 and I am now much happier with it.

MrYrnXZ.jpg

PR7Zuw4.jpg

PCvcC2p.jpg

fQvFv6v.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work matey , especially well done on the M16 , first time I’ve EVER seen an ‘aged’ paint job that actually looks old !

And don’t even get me started on the ‘to Afghan and back’ paint jobs ! F**king hideous all !

• Like 1