A&K M249 Mechbox internals

cafemondo

Plenty of topics been going on around the place regarding the externals and battery siting. The mechbox stuff has been thrown around the place everywhere.

Im looking to make my M249 more reliable. Ive got an element ftk kit, an aluminium piston on the way <_< and just about to order a prometheus polycarb piston. I presume the piston I need is the Ball Bearing POM model?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd get the prometheus hard piston. That's what I've put in my M4 and my M249. From what I hear from guys in the know (at Airsoft Mechanics), that is the best piston you can buy. Don't bother with aluminum pistons as all they'll do is beat the tar out of that clone gearbox. I've got an Echo1 / A&K M249 myself, and I'd never consider putting an aluminium piston in it. Heck, I wouldn't do that to my CA M4.

The Element gears are okay... not great by any means. I'd defiantly suggest using a mosfet (preferably with active breaking), and upgrading the wiring in the gun. Also, the stock motor is lame in the ROF category. I'd downgrade from that 400 fps spring and go with an m100 and put in a high speed motor. I'm using the Guarder High Speed motor myself.

With an M100, Standard ratio gears, Mosfet with Active Breaking, Guarder High Speed motor, upgraded wiring, I'm shooting 20 rps on a cheapo 8.4v mini battery.

I'd get the prometheus hard piston. That's what I've put in my M4 and my M249. From what I hear from guys in the know (at Airsoft Mechanics), that is the best piston you can buy. Don't bother with aluminum pistons as all they'll do is beat the tar out of that clone gearbox. I've got an Echo1 / A&K M249 myself, and I'd never consider putting an aluminium piston in it. Heck, I wouldn't do that to my CA M4.

The Element gears are okay... not great by any means. I'd defiantly suggest using a mosfet (preferably with active breaking), and upgrading the wiring in the gun. Also, the stock motor is lame in the ROF category. I'd downgrade from that 400 fps spring and go with an m100 and put in a high speed motor. I'm using the Guarder High Speed motor myself.

With an M100, Standard ratio gears, Mosfet with Active Breaking, Guarder High Speed motor, upgraded wiring, I'm shooting 20 rps on a cheapo 8.4v mini battery.

Airsoft mechanics begs to differ

http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/home/conte...iew/22/29/1/15/

prometheus_1.jpg

Deepfire Polycarb with Titanium tooth is my choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Fingers crossed i should have my M249 delivered tomorrow. I was thinking about upgrades, and what is possible with this. How compatible are these A&K M249's with off the shelf urgrades or replacement internals...Can i go buy upgrades specific to the CA model and they will be fine..or will there be some modifying involved?

Also batteries. I will most probably replace the battery. Now i have the Para varient. im looking for 9.6v with over 2000 mah.

Does any one know of any batteries cabaple of this that can fit in the front end?

im relativly new to airsoft and dont know much about batteries and upgrades. Its just knowing what to buy would be the help

Any version 2 parts will fit in the gearbox no problem. I've downgraded my spring, upgraded the motor, replaced the piston and piston head.

This is a good gearbox to learn on as there's no having to deal with the tension of the spring on the gears and bits when you take it a part. Good luck.

I downgraded to an m100 spring to increase my ROF. I haven't chrono'd the gun, but the increase in the ROF was measurable. If you're looking to increase the rof, make sure to replace the stock motor with a high speed motor of some type.

I have a deepfire titanium tooth piston in my Inokatsu and its one of the smartest things I ever did, prior to that I went through 3 polycarb pistons, the stock one, a systema, and an Angel.

I just bought an A&K and the first thing that is going in when the gearbox dies is a Deepfire piston and systema gears, its an awesome combination for durability.

I fitted a CA high speed motor and encountered feeding problems and two stripped pistons (both Element). It now has a CA piston and the original motor. I will try a standard CA motor soon.

The stock motor gives me 12rps with an M100, the high speed gave me 24rps. Hopefully the standard CA short will give me 18rps (ish) as 12rps is poo. I also replaced the bevel gear with a CA one as it fitted better (far less screeching) and gave it as full shim replacement. I also replaced the anti-reversal latch with a beefier G&P one 'cos the stock one rattled. Much quieter now.

The wiring is next on my list.

To rectify the misfeeding, I've modded the mag and replaced the hop unit with a CA. Misfeeding was chronic with the high speed motor, seems beefing up the voltage in the mag can fix this.

I fitted a CA high speed motor and encountered feeding problems and two stripped pistons (both Element). It now has a CA piston and the original motor. I will try a standard CA motor soon.

The stock motor gives me 12rps with an M100, the high speed gave me 24rps. Hopefully the standard CA short will give me 18rps (ish) as 12rps is poo. I also replaced the bevel gear with a CA one as it fitted better (far less screeching) and gave it as full shim replacement. I also replaced the anti-reversal latch with a beefier G&P one 'cos the stock one rattled. Much quieter now.

The wiring is next on my list.

To rectify the misfeeding, I've modded the mag and replaced the hop unit with a CA. Misfeeding was chronic with the high speed motor, seems beefing up the voltage in the mag can fix this.

You probably lost your piston due to the high rof and not having good mesh of your sector gear to your piston teeth. I've noticed that the stock pistion (and the aftermarket ones I've tried), all meshed improperly till I removed the second tooth of pistion partialy. I'm running a high speed guarder motor, 9.6v battery, and mosfet with no issues now that I removed that second tooth.

Increaseing the voltage in the box mag fixes the feeding issues. I'm running 4 AA cells in there.

Glad to see you searched real hard /scarcasam

Yes, A&K box mags are readily available at quite a few online stores. If you're running 20+ rof, know that you'll need to increase the voltage to the box mag to have it feed reliably.

Cool thats all i wanted to know. I have found the A&K Box mags on Rsov.com aswell. Cheers guys, picked up the M249 last nite...it looks a beauty, I was suprised at the amount of loose items on it though....but from what i can see im very impressed. Well pleased!!

Cheers for all ur comments

Sorry for the double post but its not letting me edit my post. Just ran my first 100-200 rounds through the A&K M249 and ive noticed that i get miss-fires, so i get large intevals or gaps appearing in the line of BB's, after about 5-10 secs continous bursting. Its like the box mag is not feeding fast enough (ive heard increasing the voltage in the Box mag helps).

Is this common piece for an M249 straight out the box?

ive not had a chance to go round and tighten everything yet...as ive now gone to work. Thats tonights job. I did expect to come across some issues with it, but i guess i didnt expect it to happen straight away, going on comments ive read.

This is my first Clone/ACM gun and im used to the Quality of TM. Im guessing its nothing to loose sleep over. It just suprised me.

Overall im still well chuffed with it though..its a beautiful piece of Kit. Very happy to spend the money on it

If you're running a large or higher voltage battery, or have downgraded the spring then you will have feeding problems till you add 2 more batteries to the power supply of the box mag.

As i said its straight out the box using the battery that came supplied...Althought ive not charged it myself. Im just using the test charge.

Sorry for all these questions....but i wanna learn

You probably lost your piston due to the high rof and not having good mesh of your sector gear to your piston teeth. I've noticed that the stock pistion (and the aftermarket ones I've tried), all meshed improperly till I removed the second tooth of pistion partialy. I'm running a high speed guarder motor, 9.6v battery, and mosfet with no issues now that I removed that second tooth.

I did take the tooth out - also tried removing the next one. Two pistons completely knacked. The gear was engaging about halfway down the piston and stripping 4 or 5 teeth out. I'll get it right eventually!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Panic over, everyone stop rushing around. Rebuilt gb now with new element bits and bobs and seems to be doing ok on the worktop, however Ive probably over done it on the shims. It sounds slower perhaps? Ive had a search and cant find a suitable pic or guide that works for me. Can someone please write up their reshim in regard to the A&K gb? a picture from underneath showing how close they mesh together would be excellent.

Archived