WW2 101st Airbourne kit

cnix19

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually better to shop around, good as SOF can be they are often neither cheapest or most accurate at times.

Awesome customer service and some real bargain items but generally the priciest option.

100% agree. Particularly when it comes to US webbing, SOF's doesn't have a good reputation for build quality.

Watch Band of Brothers, you'll soon get a picture of it. I got the box set for xmas, it's fantastic.

Better still get a good book or two out the library, not the best idea to base an historical impression off tv drama (good as it is).

I dont really do us kit but i can recommend:

The American Solider - Phillip Katcher

Opsrey men at arms 70 - the US army 1941-45

A lot of *very* knowledagle people to ask

here:

http://ww2aa.proboards45.com/index.cgi?

and

here:

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=42

The online bible for US kit is a website called 'hardscrabble farm'

has *everything* you need to know down to how to pack a rucksack in a 40s US way.

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/index.htm

• 3 months later...

Here's a few pics from an informal photo shoot myself a few 101st Airborne reenactor mates did about four or five years ago. I'm the one with the " -E " painted on my helmet, the tactical marking of Charlie Company, 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion.

My M1942 Paratrooper uniform and the majority of my web gear is from At The Front (expensive but very good), my M2 para helmet is from Josh Murray 1944 Inc. and my jump boots were from SoF.

My web gear in these pictures consists of an M1936 pistol belt and M1936 suspenders. On the belt is fitted x2 rigger pouches (holding either M1 rifle clips or a MkIIA fragmentation grenade) on the right hand side, a single M1 carbine pouch holding two M1 rifle clips on the left hand side, a compass pouch containing a US Army engineers lensatic compass, a first aid pouch with Carlise first aid pack in it, an M1941 "mounted type" canteen cover complete with canteen and cup, an M1 bayonet and scabbard and a shortened M1910 entrenching tool and cover. On my back is an M1936 field pack otherwise known as a Mussette bag. In at least one picture I can also be seen carrying a demolitions bag, basically a satchel charge. I also have a bandoleer containing extra M1 rifle clips slung over me too.

Atrest2Small.jpg

Atrest3Small.jpg

Atrest4Small.jpg

Barn7Small.jpg

Field5Small.jpg

MarcReload2MediumSmall.jpg

30calMoveBWSmall.jpg

Thats some pretty cool pictures you've got there...just makes me wanna get on and start buying my kit. Shame ive gotta wait till friday (pay-day). Just got my M1C helmet complete with 'Easy' Company embelm. through the post....Original reconditioned....looks amazing

Just a quicky....With regards to weapons. Whats good to go for, as id love a Garand but would it be more sensible to go for an M1A1 Thompson?

Im considering an Gas Garand but with that comes its problems around Gas. im also looking at the M14 conversion availble at Shoot & Scoot.

Tarnish knows his US Airborne stuff, trust me :D

Cheers Glyn! How you doing fella? :)

To biguk:

Regards weapons that is a good question. I did buy a Marushin M1 Garand when they first became available and it is a very nice piece of kit but I couldn't help but feel it was more suited as a collectors piece than a truly practical skirmishing weapon. I found that it took a lot of experimentation to get to know the rifle's little foibles and quirks and I really didn't want to take the clip loading system (as cool as it is!) out into the field and start losing ejected clips, I mean it's easy enough lose kit when playing airsoft as it is. I can't help but feel that gas just isn't a particuarly good power source for a semi auto rifle like the M1, I'd always choose an AEG for my main weapon if it was semi or full auto.

As it turned out I wanted myself an SA80 and I've got my deac Garand anyway so I sold my M1 to Pete the guy closest to camera in the second picture and got myself a G&G L85A1 which I don't regret despite the bit of work I had to do to it.

Obviously being the WW2 nut that I am I've owned an M1A1 TSMG since 2000 and quite frankly it is one of the best AEGs Marui has ever produced, it's never let me down. Nowadays with the ACM clone M1A1s out there your laughing. I feel that the best way to go for you is to initially get yourself a Thompson, it's a great gun and it's historically accurate. In time when you've had a chance to get into the WW2 side of airsoft a bit more then why not look into a GBB Garand or Carbine or got for an M14 and a conversion kit. I'm quite interested to see how the AZR Garand kit s turn out.

Why not also treat yourself to an M1911A1 while you're at it too? There's far more choice that the Western Arms these days.

:)

Marc

Yeah ive looked at the AZR conversion..emailed and also Shoot & scoot do one also. The deciding factor for a conversion would be the Mags, and If i can get some cut down m14 mags.

If i got the garand id have to paint the clip a luminous colour. So as not to loose them. Im prolly heading more towards the TM or Cyma thompson to be honest..purely its cheaper. But god damn Steven Speilberg!!, he had to make them so appealing!!

Cheers Glyn! How you doing fella? :)

To biguk:

Regards weapons that is a good question. I did buy a Marushin M1 Garand when they first became available and it is a very nice piece of kit but I couldn't help but feel it was more suited as a collectors piece than a truly practical skirmishing weapon. I found that it took a lot of experimentation to get to know the rifle's little foibles and quirks and I really didn't want to take the clip loading system (as cool as it is!) out into the field and start losing ejected clips, I mean it's easy enough lose kit when playing airsoft as it is. I can't help but feel that gas just isn't a particuarly good power source for a semi auto rifle like the M1, I'd always choose an AEG for my main weapon if it was semi or full auto.

As it turned out I wanted myself an SA80 and I've got my deac Garand anyway so I sold my M1 to Pete the guy closest to camera in the second picture and got myself a G&G L85A1 which I don't regret despite the bit of work I had to do to it.

Obviously being the WW2 nut that I am I've owned an M1A1 TSMG since 2000 and quite frankly it is one of the best AEGs Marui has ever produced, it's never let me down. Nowadays with the ACM clone M1A1s out there your laughing. I feel that the best way to go for you is to initially get yourself a Thompson, it's a great gun and it's historically accurate. In time when you've had a chance to get into the WW2 side of airsoft a bit more then why not look into a GBB Garand or Carbine or got for an M14 and a conversion kit. I'm quite interested to see how the AZR Garand kit s turn out.

Why not also treat yourself to an M1911A1 while you're at it too? There's far more choice that the Western Arms these days.

Marc

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that AZR were offering cut down magazines to go with the M14 kit, damned if I can find it again now though.

It was the practicality of the thing that made me decide to sell the Garand, I just couldn't be doing with the hassle of gas in my main gun, I can accept it in a GBB pistol in fact I prefer a GBB pistol to an AEP, I just couldn't be bothered to skirmish with a GBB rifle.

If the S&S or AZR M14 kits are any good I may one invest in one and an ACM M14 to go in it, no way my TM M14 is getting butchered for that!

:D

He he! Well don't rush into it too quickly fella, got to do what's right for you. Certainly take your time when buying the rest of the uniform and gear. Vendor wise I'd also suggest looking at What Price Glory, get yourself on the UK WW2 Re-enacting forum and treat yourself to a copy of Histoire & Collection's "D-Day Paratroopers: The Americans" by Christophe Deschodt (ISBN: 2-915239-29-0)

For what it's worth, my jump suit is Chinese via eBay and it looks exactly the same as the one SoF sell for twice the price.

Also, if you want to be a little bit different and stretch your loadout beyond Summer '44 then the M43 jacket and para trousers would be cool and a little different.

Good luck and welcome to WW2!

Cheers...there's so much to choose from..Looks like im doing a 506th look seeing as my original restored M1 came with 'Easy' companies embelm on the side.

Just gotta decide where to get the jump suit from... Whats the average price of an accurate durable jump suit? ive got up to £100 to spend on the jump suit.

Archived