WW2 101st Airbourne kit

cnix19

No, the 101st did not (as far as I know). He could be reenacting the 82nd, which did use the arm flag, but it looks like he has a stitched on arm pocket on his left side, which (again, only as far as I know) did not make these types of modifications to their uniforms. Additionally, for the other reenactor pictured, I do not think that the shoulder holsters were in use until sometime around MARKET-GARDEN.

I've watched this thread for quite a while now and I'm a bit surprised at the number of "pathfinder camoed" uniforms that are shown/discussed. I don't have the exact numbers here, but U.S. airborne divisions were smaller than traditional U.S. divisions (10-15,000 soldiers). In addition, the 10st Airborne was also a mix of PIRs and GIRs which dilutes the pool of actual paratroopers even further. By the time we actual start to count up the number of "pathfinders" we are getting into a pool of maybe a few hundred (even that seems high).

I know that everyone wants to portray a cool or "special" unit, but I also think we need to have an appreciation for the "average" soldier be he a regular "leg" infantryman or a para/glider-borne soldier.

That said, I know it is just airsoft and I don't want to come off as that mean, nasty stitch counter. The uniform looks great! Only wish we had more WWII-based games in my neck of the woods.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

No, the 101st did not (as far as I know). He could be reenacting the 82nd, which did use the arm flag, but it looks like he has a stitched on arm pocket on his left side, which (again, only as far as I know) did not make these types of modifications to their uniforms. Additionally, for the other reenactor pictured, I do not think that the shoulder holsters were in use until sometime around MARKET-GARDEN.

I've watched this thread for quite a while now and I'm a bit surprised at the number of "pathfinder camoed" uniforms that are shown/discussed. I don't have the exact numbers here, but U.S. airborne divisions were smaller than traditional U.S. divisions (10-15,000 soldiers). In addition, the 10st Airborne was also a mix of PIRs and GIRs which dilutes the pool of actual paratroopers even further. By the time we actual start to count up the number of "pathfinders" we are getting into a pool of maybe a few hundred (even that seems high).

I know that everyone wants to portray a cool or "special" unit, but I also think we need to have an appreciation for the "average" soldier be he a regular "leg" infantryman or a para/glider-borne soldier.

That said, I know it is just airsoft and I don't want to come off as that mean, nasty stitch counter. The uniform looks great! Only wish we had more WWII-based games in my neck of the woods.

The 101st did not have arm flag on d-day but had them for Market Garden.

• 1 month later...

Archived