Where to buy lexan or clear acrylic? UK

galactica

A store by the name of plasticsonline on ebay sells a decent range of acrylic in various thicknesses and colours. The prices are really reasonable too.

I think I got a sheet of clear 5mm acrylic approx the size of an A3 sheet of paper for about £4. If not, give me a shout as I've got some offcuts in the garage that might be enough for you to use for what you want.

Cutting wise, you are best using a fine tooth junior hacksaw or similar to get the rough shape of the item and remove the bulk of excess material. Then a dremel + sanding drum at low speed in combination with hand files and a fine grade of sand paper should do you alright.

Or do it my way and nick some time on a laser cutter :P

(that might be a bit excessive for most people though)

I've always sourced my acrylic from ebay. That particular shop has very quick service and a lot of my orders came the next day. They also do a wide range of thickness.

Little tidbit - I took some 3/32" acrylic I had lying around and considered it for a lense protector. Shot lense-sized pieces at close range, about 1 foot or 1/3m with guns right around 1J and it shattered to bits on the first shot with each gun, rather spectacularly with a KJW M700. So I'd go for Lexan, or thicker sheets if acrylic.

Go into a DIY or hardware store and buy a polycarbonate grinding visor for about £2. Remove the aluminium edging and you're left with a big sheet of polycarbonate idea for making lens protectors.

I reckon you're better off using polycarbonate rather than acrylic cos it's more flexible and easier to work with. all you need to do to cut polycarbonate is to score it with a stanley knife then bend it a few times and it'll snap.

Even so, it'll stop a .22 air rifle pellet without much damage.

The trick, IMO, is to leave a few mm air gap between the lens and the protector.

For an Eotech, for example, all you need is a square with a couple of postage-stamp sized tabs on the sides. Bend the tabs backwards and slide them either side of the lens inside the metal cover. The protector will simply wedge in place. Job done.

Stealth, you got a picture of this "polycarbonate grinding visor"? I'm wondering what it's called in the US so I can find it's equivalent.

m510.gif

You can pick em up at hardware stores, builders yards, DIY shops.

You don't need to buy the whole thing. You just need the polycarbonate sheet. Wherever sells the actual visors will also sell the replacements.

Go into a DIY or hardware store and buy a polycarbonate grinding visor for about £2. Remove the aluminium edging and you're left with a big sheet of polycarbonate idea for making lens protectors.

I reckon you're better off using polycarbonate rather than acrylic cos it's more flexible and easier to work with. all you need to do to cut polycarbonate is to score it with a stanley knife then bend it a few times and it'll snap.

Even so, it'll stop a .22 air rifle pellet without much damage.

The trick, IMO, is to leave a few mm air gap between the lens and the protector.

For an Eotech, for example, all you need is a square with a couple of postage-stamp sized tabs on the sides. Bend the tabs backwards and slide them either side of the lens inside the metal cover. The protector will simply wedge in place. Job done.

Nice one, thanks.

In case anybody thinks I'm over-simplifying, I'm not.

A square of polycarbonate with a couple of tabs on the side is all you need to protect your EoTech. I whipped the shroud off my Eotech then used a couple of sticky-pads to secure the shield (before replacing the shroud) but, TBH, I don't think I needed to.

If anybody's interested I could do a bit of a tutorial for anybody who can't grasp the finer points of cutting out a square with a stanley knife (:P) but polycarbonate (1mm-2mm thick) is dead easy to work with and will EASILY stop any BB.

You just don't need a 5mm thick lump of acrylic and, tbh, the bendy properties of polycarbonate make it a better idea than the hardness of acrylic, which can shatter when a BB hits it.

Anecdotally, I've shot a bit of 2mm thick polycarbonate with an FAC air rifle shooting at around 40ft/lbs and it made a neat little crater in it about 5mm deep that was just starting to split very slightly. The pellet didn't go through.

We were looking for something to protect laptop screens in a hazardous environment. The laptops were built into pelican cases and the shields were designed to stop the screens getting damaged when the laptops were in use. We started off looking at thicker plastic but we realised that something like a grinding visor and a 10mm air gap to the screen was enough to stop anything that wouldn't put the person using the laptop in hospital as well.

shurely 0.5mm? A 5mm gouge in a 2 mm thick sheet is quite a hole! :)

Nope.

What I mean is that a 40ft/lb rifle put a dimple 5mm deep in a grinding visor about 2mm thick.

The polycarbonate didn't break. It stretched and absorbed the entire impact.

From that you can see that there's no way a BB is EVER going to break through the polycarbonate.

It WILL flex as a BB hits it though. That's why I'd suggest leaving a small air gap between the shield and the lens. Just to no shock is transmitted straight through the shield to the lens.

TBH, even with a 5mm think lump of, well.. anything really, I'd still leave an air gap. I'd never place place the shield right up against the lens. I'd be concerned that the shock would go straight through the shield and still damage the lens.

I used the clear plastic outer cover of a DVD sleeve. Removed the shroud from my Eotech clone and taped a square of the plastic tightly across the lense (with a gap between the plastic and the lense), then put the shroud back on and you can hardly notice it.

I've done similar with my aimpoints using the flip up cover to hold it in place and have yet to suffer a broken lense. (I did when I had no protection at!)

What would be the best way to bend the poly 90 degrees without it breaking ?

Rich, i've just made a lamp protector and it was a piece of pish. It bends really easily 90deg after a little heating from a ciggy lighter. I drew a circle(ish) with 4 tabs at N E S W, scored the edges with a stanley and it broke really easily around the scoring. Applied a little heat to the tabs and they bent nicely. Popped on front of light and taped around the edge. Works like a dream. Took 5 mins. I will make a retainer for my FranShield tomorrow, probably.

Archived