A tutorial Section?

I think a tutorial section for this forum will be a great idea because a number of people comes here for advice. And instead of having one separate thread for each question or problem some may have we should open up tutorial section so instead of asking we can search for it... it will also be more easier for the searchers.

Thing is, this is a community, not a reference library.

I was once part of a forum where they decided to ban repeating the same topic.

When a subject came up the thread would be closed and the poster would be directed to the pre-existing discussion of that topic.

It killed the forum almost completely within about 6 months.

Thing is, if you want advice here then you ask and those who can answer will respond.

The REALLY GOOD bit, IMO, is that repeating a subject can introduce new facets to the discussion. People might make the same assumptions 99 times but, on the 100th time, somebody might come up with something new and, as a result, a much better method of carrying out a task is discovered.

The only way to get that 100th point of view is to let the other 99 discussions take place beforehand.

Beyond that, it's rare that anybody comes up with a method for doing something which is beyond reproach.

I dunno if you've noticed this but, basically, those who actually know what they're talking about tend not to broadcast it. I mean, they show up and answer questions or make suggestions as required (the whole "community" thing again) but they don't particularly care about inflicting their opinions on others.

By contrast, certain people arrive and announce their opinion to be a fundamental truth and find that there are people queuing up to tell them just how wrong they are.

So, who gets to decide what becomes the "official" guide to doing a particular job?

Which method gets picked as the "correct" one?

I guess you could add a tutorial section to the review database where people could post how-to's and tutorials and THEN have people add comments or suggestions.

Course, the result would be that the "official" guides end up being the ones that people can be bothered to write.

Which kinda brings me back to my original point, where a lot of the people most qualified to write these guides just don't bother to.