Official Heckler & Koch trademarks

elchinator

It is the sensational news the world of airsoft was waiting for. Or is it?

Finally an airsoft company buys the rights to sell airsoft guns with HK trademarks. Now there will be licensed guns with offical logos. For those of you who never heard of UMAREX - they are quite a big player in the sporting gun market, at least in Europe. The own the Walther company and all the legal rights to use the famous walther logo. If you ever bought a Walther PPK or P38 with trades, you probably bought it from UMAREX in one or the other way.

So, a happy end for us all? Not quite...

First of all, UMAREX is sueing all german airsoft retailers for selling HK-lookalikes. WTF?!? Yes - they didn't only buy the rights for the logo. They also bought the rights for the design patents. Worldwide! That basically means they can sue any company producing or selling lookalikes of G36s, USPs or HK416s!

As a start they are trying to ban all those clones from the market in Germany. I also heard of UMAREX representatives threatening companies at the Shot Show. So they ARE going international already.

Of course there soon will be replacements to buy. But only from UMAREX. And if you look at their "Walther" product lineup, expect the worst.

The logo is printed on nearly everything they can rip from the hands of cheap chinese producers. From cheap torchlights and reddots to middle-class airguns - they use ("exploit" comes to mind) the trades whereever they can.

So it easy to assume the G36 with trades will be produced by the likes of SRC or UTG. No more Tokyo Marui G36C, Classic Army CA33, ICS MP5 or KSC USP. Unless those companies pay for the licensing rights. And those will cost a fortune. There is no official word on the price UMAREX paid to HK, but it must have been several millions. And surely they want the money back as soon as possible...

The whole story sounds familiar? "Cybergun" you say? You are probably right. Some companies seem to forget, that they only make money by satisfying the customers needs. Not the companies needs. Cybergun learned it the hard way. Maybe UMAREX will lear that lesson, too. Here in Germany airsoft players are watching the developments closely...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, so, no more HK lookalikes.....how will this affect companies like VFC, JG, SRC, CA, ICS.....I mean these companies fall outside of European law....unless, like in Germany, they decide to hit the retailers.....I'm gonna be selfish now, but I wonder if a German company can take a UK retailer to court.....

Theres gonna be a mad rush to buy up all the HK G36s, 416s and MP5 you can get your hands on....I must get the Systema MP5....now!

If true I wonder how that would affect imports from HK? I wonder what Customs' take is on this would be (if true that is).

Edit: Or on another side, how will it affect those H&K replicas already owned prior to Umarex claiming to have the sole rights?

Wait so certain looks can be patented worldwide? I thought it could only be like trademarked. China doesn't care about patents :P . But suing RIF's is BS. Anyways, not all of the RIF's have HK trademarks they usually have the manufacturer's trademark and etc. Just because you have rights on the trademark I don't think you can keep people from copying the body since the dimensions are usually off. So it would be like HK416 looks like a armalite, so whoever makes the armalite can sue HK and etc. So many people manufacturing RS and RIF copy ideas from each other and stuff, its not a big deal. IDK why UMAREX gotta be all poopy about RIF's. Is MASADA from Magpul gonna get pulled from contracts and etc. because of this BS? Probably not. Its all bunch of bullocks I tell you. BULLOCKS!

It wouldn't affect already sold guns and there is a period for the retailers to sell their stock. But after that period there will only be licensed guns from Umarex...

And Umarex bought the worldwide rights, so theoretically they can sue ANY producer from here to Hong Kong. I don't think, they will even try that in China, but they can surely control the market in Europe. I wonder, whether they already contacted Shops in UK...

No, thats true....if you look at a HK416, you'd have a pretty hard time trying to regulate the sale of a gun that is based on a gun that is based on a gun....and thats assuming the RIF is a 1:1 replica..total, because, without trades and if the gun deviates even a few mm from the actual item, its not a full replica......

Howevr, I don't think this company will try to chase down HK416, I think the chase will be one for the more lucrative MP5 and G36 ranges...these guns are distinctly HK, and if you can control these brands you could stand to make a lot of money.

Hopefully, these kinds of things will bring about an era of high end Sci Fi guns.....no more Milsim.......just kidding.

I hope they don't. It would only set a precedent that would encourage other companies to seek these kind of licences. It wouldn't be so bad if the product was actually good quality, but umarex and cybergun exclusively produced POS guns that weren't worth the plastic they were made of. It would essentially end the sport.

Boycott, effective immediately. We should start putting it in our sigs. Well actually, send a formal email to UMAREX telling them to cease and desist any actions against other airsoft companies and retailers or face a boycott. If they don't abide by that, then start boycotting them.

They may have international law behind them, but we can bring down airsofters' law on their heads. :P

I hope your right, Umarex (Walther) do make firearms aswell.

At least that's what they say themselves. They only acquired the rights für airsoft, airguns and blank firing guns. With the MP5 and the G3 (realsteel) there is another problem, as those are already produced by other companies. Maybe they will sort that out later.

For the moment they are quite busy getting some airsoft guns removed from the current Shot Show... :(

Boycott, effective immediately. We should start putting it in our sigs. Well actually, send a formal email to UMAREX telling them to cease and desist any actions against other airsoft companies and retailers or face a boycott. If they don't abide by that, then start boycotting them.

They may have international law behind them, but we can bring down airsofters' law on their heads. :P

The problem is most of their guns are *beep*, and the people who will buy *beep* guns won't know about the buttraping these 'fags' as ubar would put it are up to.

For someone like me who has over 1/3 of my collection as Hk's this could be a real pita, and what of the new ICS split gearbox MP5s?

Archived