I bought the ACM Eotech 552 from eBaybanned about 1 1/2 Weeks ago. Both service and comms were very good. And the item arrived with in a week of ordering.

Just like the named ACM Aimpoint Magnifier that I reviewed recently, the packaging that it arrived in was above standard.

Nice molded foam emcompassed the entire object to prevent any damage from occurring.

The contents only included the Eotech replica and 2x AA Batteries, in Heine Sight, a Manual would have been nice, even if it was a complete copy of the original Eotech manual like the Magnifier came with.

Anyhow, this thing is built like a rock. I haven't dropped it yet, but from the feel of it, it definitely feels as though it wont break easily. I'm not 100% sure of what its made of, I mean I know its metal :P , but I don't think its Pig iron. Which is a good sign :) Its also a little heavy (well not that heavy) but that leads me to believe that its not an aluminium alloy either.

Front

FrontView.jpg

As far as build quality goes, it does appear to be an exact dimensional replica of the real thing. However, you can tell that this is a quick mass produced item. The finish is far from perfect and the edges are quite sharp if you run your fingers down them.

Functions

The two pictures below show what each function does.

Control Interface

Controls.jpg

The two up and down arrows on either side control the brightness of the dot. There are 7 different levels in total for each the red and green dots. Pressing both these buttons together will also turn the unit off. Pressing the up arrow on its own, turns the unit on.

The round button in the middle top of the control panel changes the mode from red to green. On the real unit this acts as an NVG compatibility switch.

These two "knobs" adjust where the red dot sits.

Elevation Controls

Rightsideandadjust.jpg

Overall

Well, I bought this because I wanted a change from my Aimpoint. And yeh, it certainly looks better (in my opinion). I also bought it for the trades. Which are okish I suppose. They are stuck on, and not water printed. And there is no "Eotech" Trade - Obviously.

Eotech Safty Trades

LeftsideandTrades.jpg

The red dot itself is pretty good. Several brightness settings, very helpful to adjust to different light conditions. Most importantly there is no ghosting on any of the levels. The pictures below are just a bit blurred :(

Green

GreenDot.jpg

Red

RedDot.jpg

The batteries are quite easily accessible and a 3 step instruction is outlined below.

BatteryTakedown1.jpg

1st. The lever is pulled up and out

BatteryTakedown2.jpg

2nd. The front plastic compartment slides forwards and up

BatteryTakedown3.jpg

3rd. Pull the unit out.

Batterycompartment.jpg

As you can see the batteries sit nicely in this little box. On the unit, it says where the + & - should be.

In terms of value for money. Its not to bad either. It was around £55 posted. The real 552 is almost if not 5x that.

However, and this is a very valuable quote off these forum, which I very much agree with, details the truth about real and replica Eotechs.

Red dot sights can have a variety of reticules, not just circular dot reticules. The fact that the replica red dot Eotechs have reticules that look like real Eotech reticules isn't particularly special. Technology wise... it isn't the style of the reticule that sets the RS and replicas apart... it's how the reticule is projected into space that primarily differentiates them.

This topic of real vs. replica eotechs really has been rehashed way too many times. Personally I prefer real eotechs. Not for bragging rights... not to show off how much money I like to waste ( <_< )... but because I notice a difference between holographic vs. red-dot. However, if someone finds that a replica eotech works just fine for them, that's perfectly ok with me. Who am I to judge what they use? I just wish the people on the opposite side of that coin (those who adamantly use replica Eotechs over real eotechs) would extend the same courtesy to those who prefer real over replicas. Blanket comments of "oh... you have a real eotech... you're such a poser" or "you only bought that for bragging rights" simply aren't necessary.

Should someone buy a real or fake eotech? They should do the research and if possible test out both. If they find the difference between the two simply isn't enough to warrant the real thing then they've answered their own question. Just don't judge those who prefer the real thing. It's really not that complicated.

And the above pretty much sums up my review lol!

Anyhow, for airsoft, I feel that this replica does its purpose. At the end of the day however, it is the same as any other Red dot sight, the only difference is the housing. The real Eotech is Holographic and stands out from the rest of the crowd. I have just bought a real 552, so naturally when it arrives I will compare, update and review :)

I shall give the replica a safe 7/10 on the grounds of it in truth, at the end of the day, just being another red dot.

Due to this now being surplus to requirements, I am selling it. So if you are after one, please feel free to check my For Sale thread Here

Edited by kliskey
Well, obviously I cant account for yours. The review is on mine :P - And on mine.... There is no ghosting :)

Convinced me to get one. I've been on the fence for the last couple weeks, but I think I've fallen off.

The newest models at Ebaybanned supposedly don't have ghosting. Who knows how reliable this information is, however, and what the lemon rate is.

I bought the 2nd gen. long model from RSOV, and as a warning, here are the problems with mine:

- Battery compartment lever won't close completely (interferes w/ fov)

- Two cut red wires hang inside the lens box (?!!)

- Vertical dot adjustment not working,

- Green dot mode not working

- Dot brightness adjustment was dead, started working after a while (?!)

I won't buy another ACM red dot, that's for sure.

Edited by Trasher

FWIW, I'm hearing about problems with zeroing ACM sights a LOT.

If you read around these forums you get one or 2 people posting every week to ask "how do I get the dot to move on my Eotech/ACOG clone?"

Thing is, most of these questions are phrased rather poorly and the responses usually only succeed in clarifying what the OP is asking rather than answering their question.

I have a chinese ACOG and I KNOW it doesn't work right. A mate also has one and he says his was fine.

Oh yeah?

I stuck a laser on his gun and tried adjusting the scope while the laser was shining on a target.

Turns out that his ACOG adjusters are actually only functional through about half their range. The other 3 turns do nothing.

Fortunately, his scope can just about manage to zero at the edge of the range of adjustment.

I wasn't so lucky.

From what I've seen in chinese ACOGs and EoTechs, the problem seems to be that they use REALLY poor quality springs working with the adjusters and, as a result, the adjusters turn but, because the springs are the wrong size, they aren't pushing on the lens, making it go where the adjuster wants it to.

If you get a chinese scope, as soon as you get it fit a laser to your gun and wind the adjusters right through their range of movement and ensure the crosshair has the full range of adjustment.

When you buy one, take into account that it's entirely likely that you MIGHT end up with a scope that either won't zero or which will require you to replace the adjuster springs with decent quality ones.

That's what I've just spent the evening doing to my ACOG. <_<

When you buy one, take into account that it's entirely likely that you MIGHT end up with a scope that either won't zero or which will require you to replace the adjuster springs with decent quality ones.

That's what I've just spent the evening doing to my ACOG. <_<

How does one go about replacing the adjuster springs? I just purchased a Eotech 551 replica, and mine won't zero. The adjust knobs do move the reticle, but the range of adjustment just doesn't include the spot it needs to be (specifically the elevation knob). I found some threads that suggested placing electrical tape under the back of the sight, but I'd rather fix the sight rather than change the gun.

How does one go about replacing the adjuster springs? I just purchased a Eotech 551 replica, and mine won't zero. The adjust knobs do move the reticle, but the range of adjustment just doesn't include the spot it needs to be (specifically the elevation knob). I found some threads that suggested placing electrical tape under the back of the sight, but I'd rather fix the sight rather than change the gun.

I imagine your sight is "too" high? What i did was i disassembled the whole thing. The key part is the bottom panel. Once you open that up, 2 springs will be vertically pushing up the board/wires loom. Take these 2 springs out. You'll notice that there is still some linear springiness, as there are more springs inside. Close everything back up and your reticle should now be adjustable.

I imagine your sight is "too" high? What i did was i disassembled the whole thing. The key part is the bottom panel. Once you open that up, 2 springs will be vertically pushing up the board/wires loom. Take these 2 springs out. You'll notice that there is still some linear springiness, as there are more springs inside. Close everything back up and your reticle should now be adjustable.

Did that... but i noticed another problem... apparently i had turned the elevation adjuster thumbscrew too far, and a small locking piece had come off of the threaded rod. The adjuster knob was no longer able to actually turn the threaded rod that adjusted the elevation, instead it just rotated independently. In the end, I took out the two springs you were talking about, and replaced them with some pieces of tape that I layered until the reticle was lined up correctly (through trial and error). How obnoxious. But thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

After you take it apart, there are 2 big springs attached to posts on the bottom, which i have pointed out using arrows. Pull these off (gently). Put the sight back together and enjoy having a zero'd replica. Now if only it would stop going through batteries like a drug addict on a binge...

gallery_1209_1364_183833.jpg

hows the durability of the lens on the ACM eotech? Once in a while when I'm getting shot at, someone will nail my red dot right in the lens. Luckily my G&G aimpoint replica hasn't shattered yet but I've seen some of my friends' reflex sight lenses get cracked by incomming fire

Ninja828, you can always get a Lexan lens protector for one of these sights - I think they're mentioned in the EOtech picture thread. Something to invest in, in my opinion, since I'd rather replace a $1 square of Plexiglass than a $70 sight.

Are the adjustment problems true of all models of the ACM EOTech? Or just the 552?

On eBaybanned they've just recently released new gen eotechs both the 552 and 551 with vertical adjustment... I assume they just worked out the problems from the original ones. becuase the now have windage adjustement. I don't think they're much more expensive either.