• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thtat's weird, the RS version doesn't come with front sights. There are no sights at all on the RS version. I wonder why the kit comes with front sights.

SIG SAUER website says otherwise...

though to be fair, the GWS 556 frontsight isn't the correct one due to the reasons blake mentions.

Because the kit uses the front sight block from the donor gun. All the current airsoft SIGs have a front sight. If you want to go sightless, you need to cut the front sight off. Not hard to do since it's pot metal.

yup, like amateurstuntman has done to his.

Personnaly, i like iron sights to fall back on when need be, and i'd like to source a rear flip up 556 sight in the future

Edited by sturgis

I feel a little crazy for doing this... but since I've been spending so much time in HK, I went by GWS again tonight (flying back to the US in the morning). GWS is now building me an upgraded and custom 556 (painted in FDE with some other modifications which you will have to wait and see :) ). I should receive the gun prior to the end of the month even taking into account the Chinese New Year Holidays. I'm actually really looking forward to it especially after having handled the sample they have there.

I brought to their attention a number of the issues people appear to be having with their 556 kits (almost all the issues pointed out so far on this forum were not evident in any of the samples they had their at the shop). The issues I mentioned were: (1) the slight gap in the front of the lower receiver, (2) slight barrel wobble, (3) *suitcasey* ergonomics at the rear of the trigger guard, (4) flashing from casting. Issues 1 was slight, but not terrible and didn't affect the gun at all. Issue 2 was not evident in any of the samples I inspected, and I was assured the finished gun I receive will be to the same standard. Issue number 3, they said that they had followed the original 556 design very closely and that that was how it was on the RS. Just holding it in the shop I could tell it would be a bigger issue in the long term (perhaps even in the short term) as it begins to rub against your middle finger. I requested that those pointy corners be rounded off a bit more like on an Armalite prior to painting the parts FDE. Apparently that wouldn't be a problem. As for Issue number 4, not present on any of the samples I saw and I was assured the finished gun would be pristine.

So having been dead set on never giving the fellas at GWS another dime after my Bizon fiasco... I just paid for a FDE custom 556 carbine. Pics in a couple of weeks. :)

RE: The front sight coming off.

I sawed mine off and filed the edges off, I did the bayonet lug too. Then I realised that the Proud RAS partly attaches to the bayonet lug.

Mind you, the bit of the RAS that attaches to the bayonet lug (like the bit that receives the body pin) is removable with a couple of allen bolts.

Eventually I will paint it.

But, I am lazy sod and I don't have any paint.

DSC00013.JPG

They must've used a preproduction model. Since the production model pics I've seen from this years shot show there is no gap between the grip and trigger guard. Looks like they remolded the grip to add the nub to take care of it. Also the production model shows a flip up front sight. Seam lines can be seen on the RS also where the upper and lower meets. And on the RS the buttstock (rear of the receiver) is a part of the lower instead of the upper as GWS has it.

I don't think it would actually be too hard to find RS 556 parts because almost everyone that owns the RS one is trying to convert it to a sig 551. Just like how USC stocks are plentiful from all the people that converted to a UMP.

cool, hopefully it shouldn't pose to much of problem then :)

little follow up

I think the "barrle wobble" was actually caused by the upper receiver and rearcap not beeing bolted togheter far enough.

I've tightened the screw there while it was apart and that seems to have done the trick :)

how she looks now:

IM000494sm.jpg

cool, hopefully it shouldn't pose to much of problem then :)

little follow up

I think the "barrle wobble" was actually caused by the upper receiver and rearcap not beeing bolted togheter far enough.

I've tightened the screw there while it was apart and that seems to have done the trick :)

how she looks now:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/s.../IM000494sm.jpg

sturgis, that looks awesome! Can we get a side pic of it?

Looking at older pics of the RS 556 and new pics from Shot Show and a RS magazine I perused at the book store the other day, GWS definitely went with the original design plans for the 556 as the new RS 556 has a specific grip made to bridge that gap between the trigger guard and pistol grip. I'll have to email GWS to find out if they have any plans to make a modified grip for resale.

-Alex

sure can :)

IM000492sm.jpg

IM000481sm.jpg

got some more pictures up in the SIG picture topic and pictures of you weapons topic.

about the grip, that's what i figured to, because it's the 552 grip, on the pictures i've seen of the RS 556 the gap isn't as prominent.

As soon, as i get my grip installed properly i'm going to try and do something about it. But overall, it doesn't detract to much from the kit as it is easily fixable.

mine is rocksolid now. :D

• 3 weeks later...

thanks sale!

second follow up

I got my motorcage in a while back, and got around to testfiring it, more specificly the feeding...

i tried:

MAG 100 rounds midcaps

STAR 30 rounds realcaps

TM 300 rounds highcap

TM 250? rounds Nam type highcap

TM 68 rounds lowcap

Dboy thermold style highcap (this one actually broke on me during testing <_< )

with the exception of the battered old vietnam type highcap, noone of the magazines feed their BB's into the gun, without having to push the magazine upwards <_<

not sure what is causing this atm, as i haven't had them to properly test it further.

i've contacted amateurstuntman about this, and he reported the sme problems with STAR realcaps, but hasn't had a chance to test other brand magazines.

any other 556s owners experiencing this?

Edited by sturgis

What's in this package I wonder?

custom55601kk0.jpg

A gun case!?!!

custom55602uj0.jpg

But what's inside it!?!!!

Ta-da!!! :D :

custom55603uw3.jpg

custom55604ks7.jpg

custom55605au0.jpg

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm very pleased with it so far. I sent GWS a Magpul End plate to install on the gun before shipping. I told them to make sure it feeds fine with TM standards and the mag they included with the gun was a TM standard so we'll have to wait and see. One thing I did notice which I also noticed when I was at GWS is that the mag catch has a hard time snapping into the mag. I may have to file that down a bit like I often have to do with my M4 mag catches. The flashhider is a Madbull DNTC Flashhider. I also had them round the corners on the back of the trigger guard. It's not perfect, but it doesn't annoy me like the unaltered ones do.

I have one of those flash-hiders too!

I think I saw your gun in the shop when they were packing it up to ship - I thought to myself that whoever it was for was one lucky blastard.

You lucky blastard. :D

LOL... well they've made two of these so it's possible I'm that lucky b-astard... or it could have been another lucky b-astard ;)

LOL... well they've made two of these so it's possible I'm that lucky b-astard... or it could have been another lucky b-astard ;)

Blastard : A portmanteau of the words "blast" and "b@stard". Meaning is literally "blasted b@stard".

i see that customs also enjoyed eyeing your piece as well.

Yeah... I think I've been flagged. Almost all of my packages have the customs seal now. But (knock on wood) they've been cool so far. Hopefully they're just doing it for curiosity's sake as they know what kind of stuff I've been getting. I may need to get an anonymous PO Box...

You wouldn't believe how many people at work kept asking me nervously if I bought a gun/rifle. The gun case GWS sent the 556 to me in, even with the wrapping over it, just screams "this guys heading for the nearest clock tower". lol. My office mates have come to expect it... the rest of the studio however...

Blastard : A portmanteau of the words "blast" and "b@stard". Meaning is literally "blasted b@stard".

Ahhh... I see... copy that! ;)

Actually, that one is on display in their shop front.

Nope, the one in the store fron is slightly different. It has a $300 stock, the Noveske FH, a reflex sight, and a RS RIS. They made one that was identical to mine which they sold right before I left and started on mine mid to late February.