Body mounted suport gunners platform

cafemondo

Ive always wanted a big body mounted smartgun, think Aliens drake and vasquez support gunners but more milsim. Ive found this, it looks and feels good, mixture of aluminium and stainless steel, the casting and engineering is very good with bearings also used in the swivel attachment.

The two side supports of the arm pivot up and down either on one spring or two, non adjustable spring tension at the minute. The arm swivels 180 degress on the attached base plate and what looks like near enough to be a perfect pintle mounting will swivel 360 degrees. The pivot action works well with just my arms as a force but Ill need to test the springs with various weights.

Ill have a play later and see if I can screw it to the kitchen table and throw the m249 in it.

Im going to need a chest plate(s) and some rigging of some sort making soon.

Look forward to positive comments.

gallery_40367_1366_7803.jpg

gallery_40367_1366_46761.jpg

Edit - for technical grammatical errors(there may be more)

The original Aliens mount was based on a steadycam mount. The camera men who use them regularly end up with muscles in weird places :D Have a look at the way the steadycam mount works.

I found a cheapo rip off on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Comfort-arm-and-vest...1QQcmdZViewItem

You might need to adjust the position and strength of the spring to get it balanced for the weight of the M249.

Looking good allready, a few photots here and a youtube vid allready. This is very interesting so far, swivels 360, good axiz of movement in most directions, would be extremely interesting on a vehicle, but far more badass strapped to my good self. Bolted the arm onto a oak bench for stability and then just used a straight bolt throught the pintle mount, very nasty and will need some serious attention from the engineers.

Thans ruzz, had a good luck at them allready and they look fairly good for what they are, problem is the weight issues. Most cheap steadycams are rated at about 4kg, the only ones ive seen that can handle 10-12kg are the original ones which come in at thousands. At the moment I cant even afford a cheap steadycam.

Thanks for the other comments, Im after a badass look and also a new and different project.

gallery_40367_1366_1270.jpg

gallery_40367_1366_33104.jpg

gallery_40367_1366_6031.jpg

The pintle mount connector is going to need some work to get a bettter fit, its shonking at the moment.

M249 mount youtube video

How much of the weight of the '249 does it take up? If the spring is too strong and takes all of the weight it might provide a bit of resestance when aiming.

Would replacing the spring with a kind of bungee rubber be of any benefit do you think? It would certainly cut the weight of the rig a little, and would make the strength of the "spring" adjustable...

Otherwise, keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Trasher - Positive comments only welcome, this is a prototype remember, please do not post if you havent got anything interseting, positive or worthwhile to say and contribute to the project. I will have the mods close this thread and take it elsewhere If you would prefer that. Please trasher do not reply as youll clutter my thread and I wont be able to read it anyway as Im adding you to ignored users.

Fully oustreched here on the arm, single spring seems tensioned well with the gun, the spring is taking much of the weight and theres a little bounce which would need to be counteracted.

gallery_40367_1366_47780.jpg

Thanks for the bungee advice scorch, Im also thinking of drilling further holes in the individual arms so I can loosen/stretch the spring as needs be.

On a vehicle or even if it was an entrenchment this would look really good. I mean really good as in I want one. Im not so sure as a body mount, it looks too big and with all the weight on the front, it would damage your spine without some sort of balancing weight at the back. Do you think so?

Thanks for the land rover info, made for a good bit of research and reading. I think a vehicle or platform mount will be the easiest way to start.

Clamp for vehicle side, Im thinking u shaped steel with a screw type clamp, simply slot over the side of a pickup or winding the front windows down and it clamps over and onto the door. Im going to see a man about a boat, actually Im going to sneak into my friends shed and see If I can 'borrow' his outboard engine and 'borrow' the mount that clips the engine to the back of the boat. From what I remember its a clamp type which may have some uses once its met some tooling. Suggestions please, If you know of a better solution in use elsewhere that could be easily sourced and modified, please share.

Auroris you may get one yet, ive not just got one :D I like your idea, what would be needed for a base? In regard to body mount not too sure if weight needed on the back as long as the body mount was braced properly, this item does exist in steadycam or steadicam format with about the same weight. However there are probably H&S guidelines and procedures in existance for camera men regarding breaks etc. Who knows? its probably as gung ho as a lot of industries out there. What about soldiers? are there any reading this who can tell me about the total carrying weight of their bergen,weapons and kit, how long they wore it for per day? I can see this bodymount and gun rig being about 20kg (50lb) but hopefully less if I use aluminium and keep it simple.

I think I can make one of these using some scrap ali and a couple of cheap chinese gunbags.

gallery_40367_1366_4887.jpg

I think it would be sweet mounted on a dune buggy or something similar!

What about soldiers? are there any reading this who can tell me about the total carrying weight of their bergen,weapons and kit, how long they wore it for per day?

As for soldiers this is about what we carry:

Rucksack 35lbs

IBA w/ SAPI 27lbs

LBE 7lbs

weapon 10-15lbs (depends on your weapon and attatchments of course!)

ammunition 10-15lbs (depends on weapons, distribution and mission)

mission essentials 10-15lbs (water, food, radios...)

We would usually dump the ruck while teaking short breaks on marches and so forth, and after we reach the AO but everything else usually stays on. If the mission requires vehicles sometimes us dismounts will leave alot of ###### in the HMMWVs or Bradleys instead of lugging it around. I've worn it up to 12 hours a day though usually about 2/3rds to 1/2 of that.

Trasher - Positive comments only welcome, this is a prototype remember, please do not post if you havent got anything interseting, positive or worthwhile to say and contribute to the project. I will have the mods close this thread and take it elsewhere If you would prefer that. Please trasher do not reply as youll clutter my thread and I wont be able to read it anyway as Im adding you to ignored users.

I contributed my honest opinion to the project - since you stated you're after the "badass" and "more milsim Aliens look" (whatever is that). The current state of your project is very different from the Aliens machine-gun bodymount, and has nothing to do with realism/milsim.

smart03.jpg

Replisoft and Steelhawk are a couple of shops that built the Alien's SAW w/ mounting provisions. . very nicely done. Try a search or contact the stores for pics.

the real prop is based off an MG42. .here's a couple of decent links

http://www.alienscollection.com/props.html

http://www.inetres.com/gp/sf/aliens/index.html

Thanks for the replies and helpfull links, a big respect for the soldiers out there, 99-114lb is 45-51kg which is worn for upto 12 hours. Thats pretty impressive, savage and thought provoking, shows what a fit human is capable of. Ill aim for about 20kg/44lb as a maiximum for my non milspec civillian body. Thanks KT for the usefull information, do you or your comrades suffer from spinal problems as has been mentioned or does the human body just adapt and 'step up'?

An APC is in the vice at the moment :) However the tripod proto base is now complete, made a fixed base with a 80mm central bar and swivelling/tilting crosspiece that the mount connects too. Ive also got large rubber swivelling wheels (think milspec supermarket trolley) so it can be moved in any direction on a flattish surface, itll make for the most smooth panning shots if I can get a video camera mounted to it.

Ive got a flatbed transit pickup coming this week for some modifications hopefully.

No progress on bodymount but work started on pintle attachment, looking at safe ways of cradling the m249 whilst not interfering with the boxmag. No pics at the moment as Im too busy building to photograph unfortunately and I keep forgetting the camera.

Ill be posting more video this week coming hopefully.

Thanks for the replies and helpfull links, a big respect for the soldiers out there, 99-114lb is 45-51kg which is worn for upto 12 hours. Thats pretty impressive, savage and thought provoking, shows what a fit human is capable of. Ill aim for about 20kg/44lb as a maiximum for my non milspec civillian body. Thanks KT for the usefull information, do you or your comrades suffer from spinal problems as has been mentioned or does the human body just adapt and 'step up'?

A lot of Squaddies suffer from back and knee problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Done a bit with the arm in the past 3 weeks. This is a variation that Ive gone down, there is one more but ll be doing that one later on.

SO I went down a wheeled mobile platform route. Theres a saw attachment nearly done and the sniper rifle cradle is now finished.

CLose up of the base, stainless steel box section and pipework, aluminium connecting block on 80mm rubber castors with bearing centers. Should have got 1 lockable castor in hindsight.

gallery_40367_1389_15056.jpg

Half inch plywood and a few more bolts. The head where it attaches is milled from one huge block of aluminium, has good swivel and turn action. Any votes for a camo paintjob?

gallery_40367_1389_101644.jpg

Side view, with rifle support attached, cast from high density plastic and lined with a rubber pad. Still to work out a universal attachment to clamp rifles in securely. Need a Kart m14 EBR gawddammit.

gallery_40367_1389_30345.jpg

Rear view, H&S dictate signage, need some grunt to hitler the safety dude. FIxed arm straight to it with bolts, its there to stay as a fixed yet mobile station. DIscard the station, take the weapon if being overwhelmed.

gallery_40367_1389_60204.jpg

Load it up, front pintle mount is now complete as a prototype and just needs tidying up with smooth bolt etc. so excuse the mess.

gallery_40367_1389_61424.jpg

Camera crew not out of bed yet and I cant use my camera left handed so.... and it balances so well, most of the m249 7kg now evenly distributed and as a sentry would be able to stay like this for hours.

gallery_40367_1389_35058.jpg

And now all the weight is just sat on there, and doesnt she look a picture.

gallery_40367_1389_9487.jpg

This was only part one of the arm project that I worked on when I got a couple of mins here and there weeks, the other part is even better I think.

Camera crew out of bed so some more pics and video later.

As always look forward to comments and suggestions.

Hmmm no comments, you hate it right? ah well works for me and cant wait to take it indoors. Heres the video its got a good tune at least :o Apologies for camera work, someone needs to mod up a steadycam :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTTWsG7V8LM

Part two of the mounting system was destroyed within 5 seconds of being taken out of the vehicle unfortunately. The arms are cast and tend to shatter when dropped. Later on this one.

Sorry, I didnt understand it at first. I was wodnering why you would moutn a gun to your body when you could easily carry it. This idea makes sense now and it would be awseome to see this attached to a while or something in a defensive area. The wheels look a tad juvenile as if they are flimsy or something. Looks like it needs off road tires or something to make it more menacing looking. Two machin guns attached to one pivot point would be awesome as well. Good work and I am impressed so far!

Yes its a strange diversion from the original idea. The swivel wheels are capable of 100kg loads each and are more suited to flatter enviroments like hospitals or malls. They look flimsy I think because of the size, they are in fact 80mm and will take a 100kg load each. If anyone can hunt down 100-150mm inflatable rubber (swivel) wheels with a bearing center that would save me doing it. Front two wheels could be fixed and the rear one could swivel which would help with any stability issues.

Point noted about two guns, if this was a fixed sentry post then yes. I can attach and detach the m249 from this in under 3 seconds and still use it as Im detaching it and then have my m249 ready to use as a primary weapon.

Vehicle mount for next weekend, some major issues with the prototype at the moment.

dude, bit of a change from your orignal idea, but its cool, nice vid also.

i was wondering though, have you ever in a fit of excitement, fired upon the head /top part of the sheild?

(on a side note, if that is where you live in the vid, it looks such a cool place)

Archived