Real World Sniper Pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im liking how my thread has grown. A few more pics to add to the pot

march24snipers.jpg

There is some quality 'skylining' from professional snipers in this thread... blatantly PR shots as even a recruit knows not to break a straight line like a wall if you *like* having your head on your shoulders.

Here's one of my fave pics of russian lads, more likely a recce team given the kit but the front guys obviously the marksman.

leshy_071.jpg

@Gadge: you cant apply conventional wisdom to a modern, urban counter insurgency. When i was in Iraq, 9 times out of 10 the best positions for sniper pairs were on rooftops, most of which are completely surrounded by unbroken walls of some kind. Short of kicking a portion of wall down (which works wonders for hearts and minds) the best fire position is on top of the wall.

as for the russian recce team, they are showing poor skill by letting their marksman patrol with his sharpshooting weapon. any half decent sniper knows that you patrol with your primary weapon, switching to your precisiosn tool when you reach your objective, as most of the time you will be left in a position to dominate the ground with support fire. If you are contacted while patrolling you will be reacting to enemy fire and a sniper rifle is a poor weapon for the job. the machine gunner should be in front of the sniper.

Darkchild

We don't know if the marksman is actually leading, though.

After all, someone was in front of him to take that picture, and maybe someone in front of that guy again.

Unless it's a staged promo-picture or something, in which case it doesn't really matter.

Here's a German sniper team:

011600ef5.jpg

as for the russian recce team, they are showing poor skill by letting their marksman patrol with his sharpshooting weapon. any half decent sniper knows that you patrol with your primary weapon, switching to your precisiosn tool when you reach your objective, as most of the time you will be left in a position to dominate the ground with support fire. If you are contacted while patrolling you will be reacting to enemy fire and a sniper rifle is a poor weapon for the job. the machine gunner should be in front of the sniper.

Darkchild,

As I have some more photos from that series, I can tell you:

1. The DM (with the SVD) is not point. He's actually 5th or 6th down the line.

2. The Russians don't always give DM's secondary weapons. You get an SVD, and if you can scrounge an AK, good. The SVD is used to supplement the range of the guys with the AKs, not necessarily to snipe.

3. I believe that the photo is from the beginning of the 2nd Chechen war, when Russian 'sniper' doctrine was still being developed. The PKM gunner has loose belt ammo (current gunners have specialized rigs for this), and the gear is SPLAV, not the newer (and more gucci) SPOSN. Thus, anything you see here is probably about 5-7 years obsolete.

The DM looks like he's got enough ammo though, if his pouches are anything to go by - figure 2 mags per pouch, at least 4 pouches, 8 mags, 10rds per mag, 80rds + loose ammo. Quite a bit for the SVD.

Edited by PlasticMag
Weird looking, but pretty cool. I like the paintjob on the second one down as well.

Any info on what rifles these are exactly? Obviously they're M14 based.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

Those are M14 fitted with locally made stocks, scope mounts and bipods.

imagezf9.png

Edited by Logo
Darkchild,

2. The Russians don't always give DM's secondary weapons. You get an SVD, and if you can scrounge an AK, good. The SVD is used to supplement the range of the guys with the AKs, not necessarily to snipe.

3. I believe that the photo is from the beginning of the 2nd Chechen war, when Russian 'sniper' doctrine was still being developed. The PKM gunner has loose belt ammo (current gunners have specialized rigs for this), and the gear is SPLAV, not the newer (and more gucci) SPOSN. Thus, anything you see here is probably about 5-7 years obsolete.

The DM looks like he's got enough ammo though, if his pouches are anything to go by - figure 2 mags per pouch, at least 4 pouches, 8 mags, 10rds per mag, 80rds + loose ammo. Quite a bit for the SVD.

Awesome, could you share some of those pics as we based our old 'red star battalion' team loadout partly on this photo.

Darkchild,

I dont care, i was making a vague point about posting comments on pictures where you dont know the full picture, in reply to Gadges observation of the rooftop snipers. My comments were an example of how i could come to similar conclusions.

Your corrections have proved my point, see!

Darkchild

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...