1970's U.N.I.T. uniform

rhino

I checked in the other Doctor Who U.N.I.T. thread (why was that closed?!?) :huh: and realised that all that was mentioned there was the original U.N.I.T. patch and a rough guide on what could be used as the uniform. I've managed to get a few pics (not very good mind) of "ye olde British U.N.I.T. squaddie" in action against papier mache monsters of old.

soldier01.jpg

soldier02.jpg

soldier03.jpg

Now i'm not great on British gear, but can anyone tell me what webbing and gear they're wearing? Anklets (i think), sand beret (obviously) and an M65 style olive jacket are all i can really guess at. As for uniform, olive type trousers? Or are they the old WW2 style khaki wool jobs?

I've been wanting to put together an authentic (well, almost authentic) 1970's style U.N.I.T. loadout for a while (and it'll give me the perfect excuse to save up and invest in an FN FAL :P )

Help! I've got a Dalek in the driveway! :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've been on about them for ages, just forgot about the thread TBH. :D It's mainly the ones from the mid Jon Pertwee era to very early Tom Baker era (screen grabs where off Robot and The Three Doctors) Don't really want to go for the Camo tops (i did originally, but there's something "Classic" about Ye Olde Khaki style :D )

I know what you mean it reminds me of my very first action man, all in OD, black beret, SLR and eagle eyes lol. I'm really enjoying the old Dr whos there mid " pyramids of Mars " at the mo ( I also had a toy of the robot as well when i was a nipper I beleive he may have even fought with my action man at the time i didn't realise i was reinacting Dr Who.

Yeah, seems to be a mishmash of the different patterns, but I've been able to definitely identify the '58 patt.

Yoke seems 58, would asume the rest is as well, judging from the size of the pouches and the way the seem to be fixed..in this more square postion....but hard to tell :huh:

putee's my dad used to swear blind he'd burn the damn things one day. heh, although i don't think he had to blanco too much stuff. depended on the unit you served in..

but yeah 58 patt webbing should see you sorted with em. as for the jacket, not sure but you'd get away with an early style DPM or perhaps even a dennison smock?

then SLR and oversized beret indeed ;)

jacket, boots and beret (and UNIT badge and patch) are no problem. Just couldn't figure out whether the trousers were the khaki woolies or just standard olives (might just go for standard olives due to them being easier to source) and what webbing was used.

Hi all.

I help run U.N.I.T. themed LRP games (ok using Lazer-tag gear not airsoft, but Ming was at the last one so it sort of counts).

Basic gear as far as we've worked it out is pretty standard for late 60's/early 70's:

Olive 'lightweight' trousers

'Wooly Pullies'

60's pattern 'N.A.T.O.' jacket

Short DMS ankle boots

Putees

58 Webbing (although some 44 pattern stuff turned up as used by the Brigadier)

Fawn Brown Guards Beret with U.N.I.T. roundel (Later became blue U.N. beret with the wing insignia)

Dennison Smock (Sgt Benton wears one in the story 'Inferno so I guess it must be 'canon' or whatever)

When the BBC were filming 'The Invasion' (the cyberman invasion of london story), they got the MOD to loan them a real platoon from the Brigade Of Guards as extras to play U.N.I.T. (They were from either the Coldstream or Grenadier Guards depending on who you listen to), hence the Guards berets they wear. As a nod of thanks to the MOD, U.N.I.T. throughout the Pertween era wore Guards berets.

Sadness over.

H

I can try and post some piccies of our stuff if anyone's interested...

I help run U.N.I.T. themed LRP games (ok using Lazer-tag gear not airsoft, but Ming was at the last one so it sort of counts).

And great fun it was too. First time I saw the Cybermen coming over the ridge, it was definite chills down the spine time!

Basic gear as far as we've worked it out is pretty standard for late 60's/early 70's:

Cheers!

Fawn Brown Guards Beret with U.N.I.T. roundel (Later became blue U.N. beret with the wing insignia)

Heh. I definitely recall getting a few stern stares because I showed up with one of the latter rather than the former! ;-)

I can try and post some piccies of our stuff if anyone's interested...

Go on then!

right, i've been told that the anklets are in fact gaiters, so i'll now be able to source them. I've also seen a 58 Pattern Yoke set complete with pouches. That the right one? Just the trousers to worry about now... how easy would it be for me to source a pair of wooly khaki trousers (or would i just be better off with the Olive trousers?)

right, i've been told that the anklets are in fact gaiters, so i'll now be able to source them. I've also seen a 58 Pattern Yoke set complete with pouches. That the right one? Just the trousers to worry about now... how easy would it be for me to source a pair of wooly khaki trousers (or would i just be better off with the Olive trousers?)

putee's are early gaiters ;)

they're definitely putee's tho.

check on re-enactores sites wwiireenactors etc. they usually have sale sections and area's where they show repro retailers.

there's also shoot n scoot, he may have some stuff too.

pete

Oo, i'll have a shufty on there in a bit! Cheers for the links. Reason i was saying gaiters is that i was looking on Ebay to check the availability of gear (typed gaiters, anklets and puttees) and gaiters seemed to throw out more hits than the others. Just want to start saving up and get them as cheap as poss. ;)

You're looking for the 'putees' that were issue in the 70's and early 80's (and used in the Falklands). The words 'putee' and 'gaiter' get used and misused and seem to mean different things to different people. To me, gaiters are the WW2 canvas things with brass buckles. 'Putee's to me mean cloth bands that wrap around the ankle, like the First World War ones. The 70's issue ones were shorter and only went around the ankle.

Olive trousers would be fine I reckon. In the first couple of Pertwee stories (spearhead from space etc) U.N.I.T. are wearing a shockingly horrible 49 pattern Battledress type uniform tailored in mushroom brown fabric. I believe it was tailored by BBC costume and is to be stayed away from (yuk).

Sorry guys, still tyring to find piccies. Will post them soon.

H

Archived