1970's U.N.I.T. uniform

rhino

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry about digging this up again but is one of the Unit people carrying an M41A???

Looks like it and I definitely got the loan of a friend's at the event I attended :-)

Just wondering but where did you find the U.N.I.T. capbadge?

The 70's style round grid one? As I understand it, pulls from an original prop. I traded some of my stash Battlefield-style winged globe ones for one :-)

just wanted to mention this quickly (as it concerns the 58 patt webbing pouches anyway..)

UMP/UMG magazines fit the front mag pouches! Bonus. On another note, should be getting my gaiters/puttees/anklets back tomorrow with new straps (fingers crossed)

Actually i thought he was very good too.

My fave doctors (going from when i first started watching as a kid)

Baker

Eccleson

Tennant

They all have that anarchic 'i do it cos i can' feel about them and eccleson was even a bit 'aggressive' which was interesting to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, managed to get a few bits and bobs together (just waiting on a new Khaki/sand beret and awaiting a reply back regarding the UNIT beret badge)

Pics

UNITsgt003.jpg

Wooly Pully version from 1975 era

UNITsgt002.jpg

and my attempt at the Pertwee era (well, after the "Mushroom" variation of the UNIT loadout - can't see it too well, but i stuck my scrim scarf on as a few of the screengrabs i sourced seemed to have them wearing them)

I'll prob. get roasted for this, but (having not seen any of the latest series, where it may in fact occur) has anyone thought of doing an "updated" UNIT loadout? Same org, just using today's gear and uniforms...

funny you should mention that. That's my next pet project. Got a red MP beret on it's way to me and i've got black combat vest et al. Just wondering whether to go for trousers and jacket look or go "cheap" and just buy a black boilersuit I'm also considering doing a "Battlefield U.N.I.T. loadout from the Sylvestor McCoy era... funds permitting (camo uniform with light blue UN beret)

• 2 weeks later...

update on this. Given up on the Milliput Badge and decide to make some "truer" badges (looking back at some of the earlier berets they wore - especially in the Pertwee era stories) they were almost the size of a small dinnerplate :P So, i ordered some blank badges and decided to make some laminated logos

UNITrefpic.jpg

that's the reference pic from Spearhead from Space and as you can see, the badge is bloody huge! :blink:

unitberetbadge1.jpg

my attempt. The badge is pretty much the same size (57mm sized)

unitberetbadge3.jpg

front and back of badge

unitberetbadge2.jpg

on the beret and a spare 7 that i had the chance to make up. Basically, i printed 8 of the logo inserts and after cutting them out, laminated them and then cut slightly round the edge (to make the paper waterproof and a bit more durable) inserted it into the badge and then secured it with the plastic perspex cover. Et voila. when i get the chance i'll post up a few new pics of my completed loadout ;)

EDIT: Just some info i thought i'd share... U.N.I.T. in the new series of Doctor Who is now referred to as UNified Intelligence Taskforce as opposed to the original United Nations Intelligence Taskforce (that's what happens when the UN gets uptight about UN & United Nations)

FYI ;)

Right, finally completed what i reckon is (closest) to the 1970's Doctor Who U.N.I.T. soldier look.

Pics:

UNITsgt005.jpg

UNITsgt009.jpg

UNITsgt006.jpg

UNITsgt008.jpg

UNITsgt007.jpg

UNITsgt010.jpg

What's needed:

Green wooly Pullover

Green shirt (i actually used a German shirt i bought for a few quid from the Army surplus store)

58 Pattern webbing Set (well, the Yoke, Left & Right front Ammo pouches and belt parts)

SAS Sand/Tan beret

Green olive combat trousers

Gaiters (WW2 style - not puttees - bandage-style - just Canvas Gaiters)

Cadet short leather boots

U.N.I.T. badge (obviously :rolleyes: )

(optional)

Green combat smock

Scrim scarf

FN FAL or Sterling SMG (pre-VCRB mock used in this instance for photo purposes)

"Jenkins... Chap there with the wings... 5 Rounds Rapid!"

Now if someone would only build an authentic airsoft Sterling... ;)

for a period i think the sterling must have been one of the most 'sci-fi' weapon many film directors could access...or the influence of herr lucas is further reaching than i thought, excellent impression though, brings back many happy memories of sitting on the living room carpet smearing jam about the place while daleks got mines stuck to them.

yes last tuesday was a good time to be in ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who fancies a variant on 70s UNIT, here's some screen shots from Inferno, showing the totalitarian parallel universe version of UNIT, the Republican Security Forces, represented here by Platoon Under Leader Benton and Brigade Leader Lethbridge-Stewart. I was looking into this for a convention :-) Remember: Unity Is Strength!

th_RSF04.jpg

th_RSF08.jpg

th_RSF12.jpg

th_RSF24.jpg

th_RSF16.jpg

th_RSF19.jpg

th_RSF21.jpg

noice! forgotten all about evil briggy- like evil spock, but with an eyepatch rather than a goatee.

Also, on a side note, finally got to see the dr who episode with the modern UNIT people, and I concur with previous posters- they look like big girls blouses in their silly red berets and faux-SWAT gear. Most disappointing...

Was thinking of doing (and I know this is so not milsim) an impression of how I think a modern UNIT load-out would look...

Archived