1970's U.N.I.T. uniform

rhino

Olive trousers would be fine I reckon. In the first couple of Pertwee stories (spearhead from space etc) U.N.I.T. are wearing a shockingly horrible 49 pattern Battledress type uniform tailored in mushroom brown fabric. I believe it was tailored by BBC costume and is to be stayed away from (yuk).

Yep, for Pertwee's first season, the premise was that the stories were set a few years in the future so the UNIT uniforms were supposed to be a future design. The fact that they only lasted one season might indicate how well they worked...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are wearing 1937 pattern web ANKLETS (farmers wear gaiters, soldiers wear anklets) with late pattern leather tabs.

Webbing is a mix of 44 and 58 from what i can see, the two were pretty similar and interchangeable to a degree (44 pattern water bottle pouches were favored by old sweats up until the 80s)

The beret will be the ten and a half inch crown 40s style, try 'whatpriceglory' for these, modern ones are too small.

The jacket is more likely the short lived OD jacket that the British army issued between the death of 49 pat battle dress and the introduction of the dpm jacket in the late 60s.

Boots are most likely either leather soled ammo boots or DMS boots.

You see it appear sometimes.

I mean it equipped the entire british army for about eight years so its not like its that rare. Its just 'short lived' compared to 30 years of battledress preceding it and the 40 years of dpm we've had since.

Its a pig trying to find a good picture of it, most are black and white.

I mean it equipped the entire british army for about eight years so its not like its that rare. Its just 'short lived' compared to 30 years of battledress preceding it and the 40 years of dpm we've had since.

I managed to pick up something that looks similar (Primark of all places!) If i can find some batteries, i'll take a pic after.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the jacket (only cost me £13)

UNITjacket.jpg

aitchbird please tell me that theres an airsoft Dalek please please please.. :D ( and theres only one Dr it's Mr Baker)

They do have Lasertag ones which were in action at Salute last year!

However, a Dalek with a built-in hopper/box mag, now that'd be a hoot.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question - what was it's official title? Alternatively, any advice on optimal terms to search for on Google/eBay etc would be very much appreciated!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/DPM

1960 Pattern

The '60 pattern combat smock, separate hood and trousers, designed to replace the old Battle Dress, were made in a plain mid-olive green cotton fabric. This pattern of combat suit was similar to the 1953 Pattern British issue, and was modelled on a similar US design. It was of a very high quality manufacture, featuring lining above the waist, waist-length zip and buttoned fly, two internal and four external double-stitched pockets, strengthened elbow pads and a stithed collar with fastening tab. In the early production smock (up to 1963) the upper sleeve was strangely and uncomfortably tight. This was corrected in later production.

Soon after this was introduced, work began on a DPM design for British army field clothing.

Archived