CIRAS vs. MBSS based loadout ?

Jay L.Macrae

MBSS or CIRAS based loadout  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which loadout do you prefer and suggest?

• MBSS based loadout
    • CIRAS based loadout

Hi,

I'm facing a little dilemma here... I'm torn between purchasing an MBSS based loadout or a CIRAS based one (Phantom/Pantac products from WGCshop).

I like the way the MBSS looks and is set up... But it seems that I also need a PACA/Soft body armor for full comfort and support... And although the combo looks really good, I'm not that enthusiastic on spending some $50 bucks on just a bunch of fabric and velcro - I's it really worth it... apart from being soft, what else is this PACA replica good for?

Maybe I'm better of just getting an entire CIRAS kit, which seems to provide the same or even more support and comfort... But I've read that it weighs a ton and in the summer the heat might become unbareable - is this true?

By style, I'm a very fast and mobile person... I like to sprint and run, even long distances... But i've nothing against a little extra protection agains falling bricks, smashing against walls and jumping/falling on rocks.

I know many of you have both loadouts... So which one do you prefer and suggest?

i've used one CIRAS or another for about two years now, and although i love that vest to death, it really doesnt seem too practical for your standard woodland skirmishes. i loved it for CQB/MOUT type games, but i dont normally play in that kind of environment. i just recently purchased a plate carrier/PACA combo, and although i havent actually skirmished in it yet, i can already tell that i have more mobility, but still the "protection". also, you dont have a bunch of *beep* on your sides.

I've had both and settled on the MBSS / Paca combo for one reason:

I'm a pretty big guy (6' 220 lbs.) and in the summer time, I've had a hell of a time with getting overheated. The CIRAS was cool, with a ton of real estate for pouches and gear, but it was also unwearable for my because of overheating...

I find the MBSS / Paca combo much cooler, and much more flexible. The MBSS rig has also forced me to be much more selective about what I carry, and as a result I find it much more high speed / low drag... 6 mags for most of the day that's it (I'm using single shot way more than ever ;) ).

i voted CIRAS for the reason that it may be bulky but you can fit too much on it, id much rather have far too much space left than not enough space for what i want/need. also, if adjusted correctly the CIRAS can be brought pretty close to the body. i have an OD PANTAC CIRAS just so you know, awesome vest, good quality, but dont think about buying any extra pouches, it comes with too many as standard :P

The MBSS is the most overrated piece of gear since those D-Day assault vests. Go with the CIRAS and be able to carring more than just some mags and an admin panel on your front side.

However, if you say you like to move fast in the field, forget plate carriers all together and get some sort of chest rig. HSGI, TAG, Eagle, SO Tech all have great offerings.

I voted MBSS

You dont need a paca underneath and in the summer those things are a killer anyway. Its probably just personal preference but all I carry on my vests is mags and a hydration pouch as I found having all the molle real estate that a full vest gives you meant I wanted to fill it all.

Now I just use a recon harness and camelbak while I get around to buying myself a smaller plate carrier with just a front and back.

For the extra bits I need I have a pantac molle belt which carries more than I need.

You dont HAVE to wear a PACA with the MBSS: look at the "60 seconds: SEALs in Afghanistan" doc and you'll see half of them wear one and half of them dont:

Ive also seen a lot of newer SEAL pics (and Im not assuming that your load out is gonna be SEAL) with whole teams in MBSS and no further protection.

Archived