Well, I think I must have had some bad luck. Almost two weeks ago, I took mine out for a skirmish.

First, the blowback rod snapped and then, about an hour later, the gears exploded (on a 9.6V battery). Now need new gears and and bearings as the bushings got raped in the process. I'm always replacing mechbox parts but very rarely replace the gears as I never need to. Can anyone recommend a good set that isn't expensive?

Cheers

Edited by christhesecond
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I finally replaced the stock gears and lousy autoshims. Was hoping the gun would work. Indeed it did way better, but shot only 76m/s (250fps) on a M100 Prometheus spring (which gives 95m/s, 312fps on CA M4). I used .025g bb s.

I suspect that the cylinder is leaking and a lot. Has anybody else had same issues and maybe tips how to solve this? The hole in mecha for blowback lever could not affect that much, or could it? Thanks.

I finally replaced the stock gears and lousy autoshims. Was hoping the gun would work. Indeed it did way better, but shot only 76m/s (250fps) on a M100 Prometheus spring (which gives 95m/s, 312fps on CA M4). I used .025g bb s.

I suspect that the cylinder is leaking and a lot. Has anybody else had same issues and maybe tips how to solve this? The hole in mecha for blowback lever could not affect that much, or could it? Thanks.

The cutout for the blowback system could not be part of an airseal issue. The piston head does not retract that far.

Check the seal between your piston head, cylinder head and cylinder with the nozzle in place. Are there any leaks?

If so, rule out where the leak is coming from and fix that issue. The stock cylinder components are some of the best ive used so unless you assembled it improperly or those components are worn i doubt its coming from there. Its more than likely that you've got a leak between your hopup bucking and your nozzle.

Stock spring is installed back again and it shoots 80 - 85m/s with .25bb`s giving 0.8 - 0.9 J. So that is exactly what it shot at the first time having done no changes in the mecha. Guess there is no issues with leaking then. It was quite surprise the prometheus spring would weaken so fast... :huh:

Next spring might be then guarder´s. Let´s see how it works.

Edited by uba
  • 7 months later...

I plan to pick one of these up in the next week or so. Does anyone know of any U.S. stores that actually have one in stock?

How comfortable is the gun to wield(does it feel awkward at all)? It seems like with the skeleton style stock you can't really rest your cheek?

Is there any noticeable wobble throughout the gun or the skeleton stock?

Also which Magazines work best with the VFC AIMS?

And which AK magazines are supposed to be ran with this setup (Caliber wise)? (was looking at the MAG Ak74 Plum box set)

Edited by Whudafxup
I plan to pick one of these up in the next week or so. Does anyone know of any U.S. stores that actually have one in stock?

How comfortable is the gun to wield(does it feel awkward at all)? It seems like with the skeleton style stock you can't really rest your cheek?

Is there any noticeable wobble throughout the gun or the skeleton stock?

Also which Magazines work best with the VFC AIMS?

And which AK magazines are supposed to be ran with this setup (Caliber wise)? (was looking at the MAG Ak74 Plum box set)

The wire hangar stock is either a love or hate situation. It either fits your body just fine or it doesnt fit at all. Some people wrap paracord around the stock to better facilitate a consistent cheek weld.

There is ZERO wobble. The guns are solid as a rock.

Mag brand magazines work flawlessly in VFC guns.

Either mag will work. The AIMS can be chambered in 5.45 5.56 or 7.62X39 so take your pick.

I know that this place has them in stock.

http://www.playersfirstairsoft.com/ak74-aims.html

Also, if the stock doesnt work out for you its relatively easy to pick up a surplus stock and with a little modification pop it onto the rifle.

• 1 month later...

got my AIMS yesterday, and skirmished it today, my first impression of it- seriously good bit of kit! ive used a Dboys ak74 before, but this is something else, i'd agree with what someone else said earlier, that the clones are ok, but the real thing is in a whole different league.. heavy, solid, very well finished, and got LOTS of admiring looks in the safe zone, and on the way into and back from games.

onto how it shoots.. as quite a few guys found out today, this thing has RANGE! once the hop is set its shoots fast and flat- chronod at 350fps on the button, (bang on my site limit) and shoots with an evil ROF with a 9.6v 1400 stick (with blowback disabled)

this ones definatly a keeper!

the vfc hi-cap DOES pop out if its knocked, but G&P blued steel midcaps fit and lock in and stay in, look amazing, and feed perfectly. so i'll use those.

i have got an uprated v3 box full of Systema internals i was going to drop in, but after using this for a day im not going to bother until this mechbox breaks, no need as it rocks a goodun as standard!

if you want a full steel/wood AK, with a unique look that will stand out as "something different" then get one of these!

comparing this to, and even saying these are better than, a PTW, as another poster did, is high praise indeed!

Edited by Pyrodex