Mossberg 500 shotgun, 6 mm version by ACM

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got mine last night. Initial test firing was very satisfying. What was a bit alarming was when I first added gas to it, a fair bit of gas seemed to be leaking out of the barrel. That seemed to correct itself after a few seconds, and hasn't repeated itself since. I cut the barrel down to the length of a shorty/tactical cruiser, removed the sights, and added a heat shield. Basically, after 10 minutes I had it looking exactly like this.

I'll post pics later tonight.

I used to have the new US Export Marushin M500, though I recently sold it, and the charging handles seemed to be metal, and I put about 8-9 bags of BBs through it and had zero problems with the charging arms. Also, I have fully stripped the gun (hop up/barrel, gas system)so if anyone needs help taking it down you know who to ask.

After investigation:

When i got this thing open i noticed that none of the o rings were lubricated with silicone grease , The chamber which rotated to restrict or allow gas to pass was not lubricated either. The o rings were in excellent condition i have no idea how they work except the make a seal i don’t understand how changing them would increase gas efficiency.

The rumour or suggestion that you could block the chamber to allow less bb’s through (currently adjusted to 5 bb’s a shot) is false maybe on the 8mm version but the 6mm version has a metal chamber with a single channel which cannot be blocked or restricted to allow more or less bb’s a shot.

Despite everyone saying this has a huge reservoir for gas this is false, it’s only half the size of the receiver in the lower part of the gas housing.

The charging handle is made of pot metal, thus causing it to break very easily, i now know what weakened the charging handle (cocking or racking the shotgun like the Hollywood movies)

The FPS is low on this and the range is weak, when i go to the shop to buy some Allen keys i will finally be able to remove the barrel and have a look at the inner barrel to see if this is a tight bore.

So far improving this is becoming costly:

O rings- £10 a box

New Charing handle $80 Shipped to the UK.

Considering i paid £160 for this i would imagine its not too far off the price of the original Maruzen Mossberg’s

Edited by Crimson
The rumour or suggestion that you could block the chamber to allow less bb’s through (currently adjusted to 5 bb’s a shot) is false maybe on the 8mm version but the 6mm version has a metal chamber with a single channel which cannot be blocked or restricted to allow more or less bb’s a shot.

That's not entirely true in my opinion. Originally, in the Marushin shotguns the restrictor was a pin that sat underneath a screw, which holds a bar of metal attached to the side of the loading collar. It may be possible to screw a hole into this unit so that you can put the restrictor pin in.

Alternatively, you could make your own restrictor with metal piping. You need to find a length of pipe that is the exact diameter of the BB feed tube in the collar, but has an inner diameter smaller than 6mm. That way, the tube will be held inside the collar by friction, the BB's will be blocked from entering and the gas will still be able to move through the collar. Obviously you would vary the length of the tube depending on how many BB's you want to load with each rack of the foregrip.

It would take a little bit of work, and luck finding the correct tubing but it's not exactly rocket science to do. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it ;)

Well, finally got my M500 clone yesterday. 15 minutes later I transformed it to this:

m500clone02fj9.jpg

It was quite simple.

* First I bought this heatshield on ebay.

* then when the gun arrived, I measured how deep the outer barrel was before you reach the inner barrel.

* I cut the outer barrel using a hack-saw leaving a little excess so as to not cut into the inner barrel. The reason for that was because hack-saw cutting is rarely precise.

* So once it was cut all the way off, I used a file to straighten up the edge and then sand paper to clean up the edge.

* The outer barrel is now flush with the inner barrel.

* Then I masked off the entire gun except for the face of the outer barrel and the inner barrel, plugged up the inner barrel's hole, and spray painted the remainder matte black.

It sounds like a lot of steps but it's not. I'm just very descriptive.

Pic of the end piece cut off and before spray painting it black:

m500clone01xi8.jpg

Comparison pic between the M500 6mm Clone (top) and my M500 6mm Marushin original (bottom):

m500clone03go3.jpg

The clone's inner barrel is currently a couple inches longer than the Marushin. Once spray painted flat black, the inner barrel isn't very noticeable. I currently have a Metal heatshield on its way as the one on my Clone is a synthetic one. Still looks pretty good though and I like the way it looks now a hell of a lot better than when I first pulled it out of the box. :D

Awesome, usmc. Way better than that railed atrocity pictured earlier, with the knife and all that. :o

How rugged is the construction of these shotguns, can they be slinged safely without fear of stuff bending or breaking?

That's not entirely true in my opinion. Originally, in the Marushin shotguns the restrictor was a pin that sat underneath a screw, which holds a bar of metal attached to the side of the loading collar. It may be possible to screw a hole into this unit so that you can put the restrictor pin in.

Alternatively, you could make your own restrictor with metal piping. You need to find a length of pipe that is the exact diameter of the BB feed tube in the collar, but has an inner diameter smaller than 6mm. That way, the tube will be held inside the collar by friction, the BB's will be blocked from entering and the gas will still be able to move through the collar. Obviously you would vary the length of the tube depending on how many BB's you want to load with each rack of the foregrip.

It would take a little bit of work, and luck finding the correct tubing but it's not exactly rocket science to do. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it ;)

There is a Pin with a ball berring attached if you tighten the screw the circular chamber is harder to move, i dont see how this restricts the flow of bbs. However i do see the colar but if i restrict this how to bbs follow after ?

Come friday i will take a picture of this and show you what i mean

Well, finally got my M500 clone yesterday. 15 minutes later I transformed it to this:

m500clone02fj9.jpg

It was quite simple.

* then when the gun arrived, I measured how deep the outer barrel was before you reach the inner barrel.

* I cut the outer barrel using a hack-saw leaving a little excess so as to not cut into the inner barrel. The reason for that was because hack-saw cutting is rarely precise.

* So once it was cut all the way off, I used a file to straighten up the edge and then sand paper to clean up the edge.

* Then I masked off the entire gun except for the face of the outer barrel and the inner barrel, plugged up the inner barrel's hole, and spray painted the remainder matte black.

m500clone01xi8.jpg

Comparison pic between the M500 6mm Clone (top) and my M500 6mm Marushin original (bottom):

m500clone03go3.jpg

The clone's inner barrel is currently a couple inches longer than the Marushin. Once spray painted flat black, the inner barrel isn't very noticeable. I currently have a Metal heatshield on its way as the one on my Clone is a synthetic one. Still looks pretty good though and I like the way it looks now a hell of a lot better than when I first pulled it out of the box. :D

Thats one sweet shorty i plan to do the same with this Stock, and the same heat shield also cuting down the barrel

Yeah nice, Ive got the folding stock on my 8mm and im ordering one of these later

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=022

Have just e-mailed seller to check length etc as theres different size pumps for m500's. will keep updated if anyones interested

Edited by rizzini7

Crimson, this is what I'm referring to.

DSC00470.jpg

The loading collar. The big hole is where the BB's are loaded into. Now, ontop of the collar you can see the groove inbetween the two half moons. In the centre of this groove is the thread for a screw which holds a small bar of metal in (which is moved by the charging handles).

Now, underneath this screw it's possible to drill a small hole and put a small pin of metal in. It's not perfect, but it can be done. Personally, I'm going to explore my idea of inserting a piece of piping into the chamber in order to restrict the BB's.

All very nice ideas, but the two main questions remain:

1) How do we make them morepowerful without sacrifizing BBs per shot ratio.

Has anyone tried using red gas?

2) Can anyone confirm real steel forearms will work on this one?

It was quite simple.

Beautiful man! If I ever get one of these, its exactly what I want. The only difference is I would paint the stock and pump handle brown to give it a 'wood' look and make it look less modern.

Thanks again for the info and posting in here buddy.