AIM M4A1

RS History: The M4 Carbine is a family of firearms tracing its lineage back to earlier carbine versions of the M16, all based on the original AR-15 made by ArmaLite. It is a shorter and lighter version of the M16A2 assault rifle. The M4 and variants fire 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition and are gas-operated, air-cooled, magazine-fed, selective fire firearms with a 4-position telescoping stock.

- Courtesy Wikipedia

Reason for purchasing:

I was looking for a backup weapon. I've had problems with an AIM before, but that was nearly a year ago and as this gun was a "display gun", I was fairly certain it was in good working order. I found the gun on ebay for $90 shipped, so I decided to buy it before someone else snapped it up. I bought it from BlazingToys on ebay, they shipped quickly and it was a pleasant experience.

Box appearance:

The box as packed within another box. Nothing too incredibly fancy, but it did it job and the gun was received in working order.

th_P1000609.jpg

Appearance of the gun:

It looked good. None of that cheapo lpeg material here. Some of the plastic was on the light side but unless you are looking up close it looks very similar to an actual firearm.

th_P1000565.jpg

th_P1000571.jpg

How it Feels:

While I wouldn’t go tree smacking with the thing, it feels solid. The barrel does wobble a little, but that happens on any non-metal bodied armalite as I’ve come to understand it. The 4-position stock is as solid as I could ask for.

Metal Parts:

Fire selector switch

Mag catch

Delta Ring and covering

Sling mount (front)

Ejection port cover

Carry handle mounts

Sighting equiptment

Charging handle

hicap mag

Internals:

It’s loud (compared to my ICS AK74), and it shoot quite slowly (>10 rps). The sound persists even with the motor being at the proper height, I assume it’s a combination of poor shimming and perhaps a lack of grease.

Motor:

It does its job. I currently have an ICS2000 in my AIM, and plan to put the AIM motor in my UTG.

th_P1000594.jpg

Note: The tape, etc. were done by myself for marking and keeping the motor plate with the motor.

Magazine:

The mag that was included holds about 300 rounds, it feeds well, I have yet to have any problems except when I forget to wind it enough. It can go a good portion of a mag without anymore winding, but I like to keep it nice and wound in case I need some firepower.

th_P1000615.jpg

th_P1000566.jpg

th_P1000569.jpg

Accuracy:

Not that great, I’ve heard that’s due to a mediocre (at best) bucking as well as a terrible stock barrel, I’d recommend replacing both.

Hopup: Adjusts the same way as a TM, again, I reccomend a new bucking (from what I've heard, I checked the bucking and it was free of tears, etc.)

th_P1000574.jpg

th_P1000590.jpg

Accuracy tests:

*Note: due to the cold I didn't take the time to adjust my sites, so after a shot hit the target, I just kept the gun as steady as I could and continued shooting*

th_25semi.jpg

25 ft. semi 10 shots

th_50semi.jpg

50 ft semi 10 shots (not all hit)

th_50auto.jpg

50 ft auto 30-35 ish shots (not all hit)

PMC:

340< FPS <385

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/reviews/show...t=71&cat=51

*Note: It was very cold during these tests, about 0 degree Fahrenheit, this could have effected metallic properties.*

th_P1000598.jpg

In one side...

th_P1000599.jpg

Out the other...

th_P1000607.jpg

If you can see (click and it's easy to see on the expanded photo), there is a hairline fracture caused by the bb, so just barely not enough penetrating power.

PROS:

Cheap for what you get

Overall quite solid

Problems are rather inexpensive to fix (bucking, barrel, and shims can be had for less than $60)

Cons:

Battery space is a bit tight, and takes a while to get it in there

th_P1000570.jpg

Barrel

Shimming/noise from GB

Hopup bucking

Barrel wobble (though that may require a metal body)

Stock battery is mediocre at best

th_P1000588.jpg

(happened to both)

Though I assume I overtightened them at one point

Overall: 7.5

Accuracy: 5

Feel: 7

Durability : 7

FPS: 8

Looks: 9

Price: 9

Conclusion:

If you want a good gun for the price, this is an attractive way to go. I use my ICS, and admittedly, like it better, but it also cost me three times as much cash. So if you’re on a budget, or just want a backup gun, this is a great deal.

For further reading:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=51110