OPS Direct Action Multicam Combat Pants

I had been looking everywhere for a set of Genuine Multicam Combats. But, as with most heavily desired items in life. It was near impossible to find the real thing.

So I had to opt for the next best. In this case, the OPS Combat Pants. The only comprise that was really made here, is that they are not made directly by Crye Precision. However, they are made with Genuine Crye Multicam Material!

I bought these off eBay, from a seller called Multicamguy2, incidentally he is the owner of a shop, which sells all the same products called Ur-Tactical.

Comms and service are top notch, but this is what I have grown to expect from most Hong Kong retailers (Except eHobbyAsia, which have become increasingly rude :(:P )

When I ordered mine they were out of stock, but through out the waiting process, all communiques boosted me with confidence, and when they did finally arrive, packaging was superb and the items were as described.... What more could you want?

I have ordered some elbow pads since, and then arrived 2 days after I placed the order! :blink:

Anyway. The Review! :D

These are size Large Regular. And I am 6ft 4. They dont make a Long size yet, but I must say that these are exactly the right size for me!

Front

FrontSmall.jpg

Back

BackSmall.jpg

The quality and attention to detail on them is great! I mean, unlike the Chinese replica's these have varied thicknesses of materials in place to avoid rips and to protect them as a whole. All the pockets are secured by either high quality Velcro, buckles or zippers. There isn't really any comprise for quality over costs. Which is what I look for in the products that I buy :)

Top Quarter

ClosedSmall.jpg

The Belt area is nice and padded. Infact, its so soft that I wanted to cuddle it :P Although, coupled with the fact that its Multicam.... :rolleyes:

The belt loops are large and wide for extra support. They are also wide enough to fit almost all belts, par Molle belts. But all Duty Belts should be fine. For exemplary use, I have used my Khaki Eagle Industries Instructors IER-1 Rappelling Belt.

Eagle Belt

EagleBeltSmall.jpg

Instead of a button, the top end of the fly is Velcro'd and the zip its self is nice and long.... Good for easy access :unsure:

Open Zipper

OpenSmall.jpg

Just below the belt these is a little hook, I would imagine for attaching key chains, goggle cases etc.

Hook

ClipHookSmall.jpg

These trousers are symmetrical, but I will be working my way down the left hand side.

The usefulness of the first pocket we come to is debatable... Its a Side On Mag pouch. I say debatable, as I have heard from other users that its not very comfy to run around with a mag in there, let alone crawling along the floor with one!

Mag Pocket

MagPocketSmall.jpg

Because I have not personally tested either, I cant really comment. However, I think the idea is rather good ^_^ Though, I have tested putting a mag in there, as seen below. The good news, is that it is big enough for a Mag with a Magpul.

Mag Pocket ft. Mag HK mag & DE Magpul

MagPocket1Small.jpg

Mag Pocket ft. Mag HK mag & DE Magpul Closed

MagPocket2Small.jpg

The next Pocket down, the side pocket, a pocket for your hands. The placing of this, is slightly off in my opinion. Just a tad to low like conventional side pockets, but too high to be general "Cargo" pockets :huh:

Open

LargeSidePocketSmall.jpg

Closed

LSPCloseSmall.jpg

The best looking feature on these pants are of course the Pads... However, to equal both positive and negatives, they are also the most annoying parts! By this, I mean that it is next to impossible to get the pads in place! I cut my fingers to shreds - But that shows determination :P

It was worth the hassle though, as these really do make the trousers what they are.

Pad Pocket Opening

KneePadpocketSmall.jpg

I was going to open this, take out the pad, and reinstall it for the purpose of this review. But believe me when I say this. Once those pads are in. You are NEVER going to want to take them out!

Pads

KneePadSmall.jpg

Pads before I put them in

DSC04960Small.jpg

They are slightly different to the Crye Version, in that they have a jagged surface. I think this is better as it has much more grip then just a flat surface. Though, I haven't tested its grippyness.

The Material surrounding the pads are reinforced with 1000d Cordura. This is great, as it means that the trousers from the extra wear in this area, aren't going to tear.

Materical Strength Comparison

DifferenceinBuildMaterialSmall.jpg

Along the entire length of the sides there is one long zip. Again, I would imagine for easy access in case of an emergency, ventilation or if you just want to get out of them easier.

This zip is slightly larger and stronger then the pocket zips.

Main Zipper

LegSideZipperSmall.jpg

Open at the Bottom

ReinforcedBottomSmall.jpg

The last bit of the front side of the pants that is very much worth mentioning is the extra 1000d Cordura reinforced bottoms. Like the Pads, this area is going to get scuffed by undergrowth, your boots and general rubbing. It also seems semi waterproof, so almost like built in gaiters. So the idea of this is great. And to make things even better, because this area is rather rigid, there is a protected zipped area, that opens out to allow you to put boots on with ease!

I don't know if this is a feature of the real thing, but either way. Alot of thought has gone into making these.

Reinforced Bottom

ReinforcedBottomClosedSmall.jpg

Extended Opening

ReinforcedBottomOpenSmall.jpg

On the back side there is only 1 (2) pockets. Its quite large, so rather useful. However, the design could have been better....

it appears as though it is a small pocket, but then it kind of "folds out" - Its hard to explain to be honest.

Edited by kliskey

Back pocket

BackPocketSmall.jpg

Hopefully the pictures will show you what I mean :P

Weird Half Folding Flap

BackPoketOpenOkwardSmall.jpg

If that makes sense to you, well, then I guess you see my point! :P lol

Other then those two pockets, there isn't much to comment on about the back, although the reinforced areas on the front, do carry on and encompass the back as well.

Conclusion

Overall, if you can't source Genuine Crye Multicam Pants, then this is your next best option. Although, buying the complete set from places like eBaybanned might be cheaper... You aren't buying quality or real Multicam. Fake Multicam fades after one or two washes!

As said through out the review, the quality is absolutely amazing! The reinforced areas just boosts the brilliance of these pants. And although some of the pockets in my opinion are a tad useless :P They do have their purposes.

I had contemplated selling these as soon as I could source a genuine set.. But in reality they are just as good, perhaps even a bit better. OPS have taken an already innovative product, slightly redesigned it and made it better!

I'm going to give them 9/10.

Mainly because they are so well built, and these should last for ages! I didnt give it 10, because they still could do with minor improvements.

Im not the best writer/ reviewer, so I do hope the pictures compensated :P

EDIT: Forgot one picture + Some mis-labeled coding.

Edited by kliskey

Just a couple things... the reinforced material around the knee pads isn't 1000D... it's either 300D or 500D (but they feel closer to 300D). On the real Crye Combats pants, these parts are 500D but I'm pretty certain they're 300D as it doesn't hold the pads in place as well as the 500D do.

As I posted in the Multicam thread, I bought a set of the UR-Tactical replica Combat Knee pads to compare to my real Crye Combat Knee Pads. They look decent, but the don't perform the same:

The rubber tan cap on the Crye pads, when deformed by small rocks and such, return to it's original form.

The tan caps on the UR-Tactical pads are made from hard plastic instead of rubber, so when you get small dents in it from taking a knee... those dents are there to stay... forever.

The black part of the Crye pads are made from nice closed cell foam that gives the user decent padding.

The black part of the UR-Tactical pads are made from some kind of foam, but they don't have much compression which is key to comfort.

In terms of looks, the UR-Tactical is very close except for those horizontal treads across the tan cap... which I actually kinda like as they do seem to give better traction. The tan color is very close match to that of the Crye pads, and they fit in both UR-Tactical Combat pants and the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Crye Combat Pants.

The overall quality of the pants are indeed very good. That being said, they definitely fit differently than the Crye Combat Pants do. In general they feel baggier than my Crye Combats.

I'm not a huge fan of the huge belt loops but that's more because of looks than function.

Regarding the thigh/groin mag pouches, I tried putting a mag in either side and walked and ran around for a bit. To me, it was pretty obvious that if I fell wrong there was a strong likely hood that I could damaged my genitals. One fall and it's crushed nuts.

All in all though... these are a very decent pair of pants.