Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. a bit TOO shiny.. :P

Could you bling it up a bit? :D maybe do the rest of the receiver in that 'polished' look - get that two-tone thing going... 'chromed' receiver, black lower. :)

Nice and clean Doc.

I'm having trouble putting back together my AUG mechbox. The stuff that's normally in a v3 gearbox is fine, its just the weird trigger mechanism and fire selector that's confusing me. Any directions or pictures that could help poor newbish me? Also, without the weird wire part thing that goes on the outside of the mechbox, is it supposed to fire once and then jam? That's what's happening to me at least. This is kinda non-descriptive, but hopefully you'll get what I mean.

update on the sideways moving gearbox :P

I've had a look inside the AUG and it seems that the front of the gearbox sits in a wide indent on the st-20 part (http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=TM-PT-AUG-ST20_cat_Marui AUG Parts). From inspection i can't see how the top of the stock would be able to hold the the gearbox if the fake bolt is to be able to move so i reckon it's probably only the st-20 part that holds the front of the gearbox in place.

On my AUG if you grab the feed nipple from the inside the magwell, it is possible to move the st-20 from side to side a little and hence the front of the gearbox too. From what i could tell it seems like this is normal and i'm being too fussy with my AUG :P. The front of the gearbox can move about 1-2mm either side.

Would someone be kind enough to try moving their st-20 for me?

Cheers

Tome

That part, in the CA AUG I've worked on at least, is a nice tight fit in it's rails (in the body).

It has no movement at all, with or without the gearbox in place.

Also, the hop unit mates with the front of the gearbox shell, as it does on other AEGs using VerIII (and II 'boxes), holding it in position.

If you look at BobMarley90's post #81, page 4, you can see the raised ring on the rear of the hop that fits inside the bore at the front of the gearbox, around the nozzle.

The bolt handle (again I can only comment on the CA version) just moves the thin metal ejection port covers above and to left and right of the gearbox shell, so the sides could be supported by the body, I think. :unsure:

I didn't need to look that closely at that area when I had it for repair/upgrade but I can say the 'box was a good snug fit in there.

It may not be supported right at the front but it was somewhere along it's length.

I'm sure Hedganian, the AUGfather or Wege or someone will clear this one up ;)

While we're on the subject of the ST-20, this is what I did to fix the one in the CA;

100_3851.jpg

The angle piece I fitted some time ago, to repair a previously unsuccessful repair (by someone else ;) ).

I've added the plate at the front to fix the little tab which broke off.

The mags were really loose and falling out frequently, now they fit snuggly and don't!

I made a slightly longer feed nozzle as well to cure the misfeeding it was suffering.

I had to file a slot in the receiver to accomodate the repair plate, letting the parts mate when in place.

CAAUG1.jpg

Cheers guys :)

Evidently my AUG must have gotten some damage over the last 10 years :( Seeing as the st20 can't really reduce in width i suppose the body must have gotten wider somehow. Oh well, might be time to buy another hehe.

why not try putting some plastic shims of sorts on the mechbox sides... when I say 'shim's I mean start slicing the top from an icecream container...

or! go the thin foam packing route - providing you don't keep removing your mechbox you should be fine I think.

only do it around the area that you think is mr blobby though.. (all wobbly)

Yeah i'll try to find a way to shim the gearbox first, but it'll take a heck of a lot of material or very precise shimming of st-20.

Thinking back i used to pack the stock with sound insulation foam around the gearbox to reduce the noise. It hadn't seemed like it was packed tight but it might have been enough to widen the space in the stock over the years that it was in there. Not conclusive by any means but maybe other players thinking of packing their stocks should keep an eye on it just in case :)

Hmm.

In that case.. IF you are about to go the route of "get a new receiver", try perhaps doing some heat and clamping on the original one?

Or clamp it as tightly as possible (exterior) and heat-steam it?

Before you start trying anything to narrow the body/widen the plate (ST-20), I'd fit the gearbox without the plate fitted, and see if there's any movement of the gearbox itself.

As I mentioned earlier, the front of the gearbox should mate positively with the rear of the hop unit, and subsequently be held securely in position by it.

And thanks FearMeansControl ;)

Hmm.

In that case.. IF you are about to go the route of "get a new receiver", try perhaps doing some heat and clamping on the original one?

Or clamp it as tightly as possible (exterior) and heat-steam it?

The gearbox is in the stock, not the receiver. I don't think his problem is to do with the receiver in any way. Did you mean to say stock, or is one of us misunderstanding what the problem is? :unsure:

The gearbox and hop unit do interface correctly, with the narrowest segment of the back of the hop unit fitting into the hole in the front of the gearbox. However the barrel itself isn't held still in the receiver at the rear end. There is a noticable amount of play there. You'd be able to try this out if you take the receiver out of the stock and just had the barrel assembly in it.

I'm pretty sure the outer barrel being able to move a bit relative to the receiver is normal. I can't see how the hole in the back of the receiver could have gotten larger hehe ^_^

I'll check the bolts that hold the stock together when i get home.

Cheers

Hi,

New to the world of AUG's, (acquired a TM quite cheap:) ) so far it seems mint, however I appear to be missing part of ST-18

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/articles/ma...tm/aug/aug1.jpg

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/articles/ma...tm/aug/aug3.jpg

In the first diagram it is the lowest part ( I have the large metal chunk with the spring loaded peg) I believe that right now its partially catching on ST15 or on the lip of the body that holds the plate in place. When the charging handle is locked back it holds everything in place, however when its forward ST18 becomes quite loose. Any one have any suggestions or a spare part of the plate?

Thanks,

KM

Doc - for a bent bit of metal that thin, I don't think you could charge that much, really. On the other hand - they're like hen's teeth, so you could pretty much name your own price.

I think anything more than £5 would be a bit over the top...

Kingmob: You are, indeed, missing the lower half of ST-18 (which is the stock/receiver retaining catch), without which the receiver won't be held firmly in the stock, and - in some cases - can even fall off completely. Which is obviously a bit of a problem in a combat situation! Rest assured that you're in good company with this problem, as Project AUG is missing this part also, since it came back from the shop the last time (Can't trust these gunsmiths). Ask Doc nicely to send you one of the new ones he'll be making soon, or acquire one from a dead AUG.

The gearbox is in the stock, not the receiver. I don't think his problem is to do with the receiver in any way. Did you mean to say stock, or is one of us misunderstanding what the problem is? :unsure:

blast..I actually replied to this.. and mentioned what I was mentioning... (two days ago).. but I have NO idea where the heck the post went. >_<

Archived