Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

Andd... back to my question :D. I'm having trouble putting back together my AUG mechbox. The stuff that's normally in a v3 gearbox is fine, its just the weird trigger mechanism and fire selector that's confusing me. Any directions or pictures or descriptions?

Somebody must know how the fire selector works :(. Maybe just a picture of the outside (and the inside if possible) of the gearbox?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to help.

As a general rule for anyone with a question: PLEASE be sure to check the information already provided - especially on the first page, where there is a LOT of info - before asking a question, as you might find the answer is already there. That's the whole point of this thread, to save me from having to type the same things over and over again for everyone who has a question about the AUG. :headbutt:

Thanks. :)

I admire your restraint Hedganian :P

I've made my pattern block for the detent plate(s), just need to source some 0.5mm steel sheet.

I'll use stainless, if I can get it.

I have some alloy I'm going to try as well, but the tight bend radius on the ends might be a problem, plus I think the detent holes may crack when the depression is punched.

The detent plunger is plastic, so wear shouldn't be a problem with whatever material I go with.

AUGdetentblock.jpg

It's just cut from a bar of alloy that I've had lying around for years...knew it would come in handy sooner or later.

I machined the reccess with a milling cutter in my pillar drill, using the cheap cross-slide vice I got a few months back.

It's OK for very light jobs that don't require great accuracy.

Not too worry though, I'm picking up one of these tomorrow...well, when I say picking up...thing must weigh two tons :o

Miller.jpg

Got it for a very reasonable price.

Best bit is, the guy who's selling it is a weapons technician for a film studio, said he might be able to take me in sometime to see the armoury :P

• 1 month later...

I received this PM, and felt my reply could be helpful to others, so here it is reproduced below:

Since you are the King of AUGs, I have a question. I have a Tokyo Marui AUG A3(?) On the left hand ejection port, there is a 6mm indentation in the rubber cover that refuses to be repaired. As far as that goes, I'll just get a new cover for the port.

My question relates to the the ejection port itself. Due to the impact, not only is the cover damaged, but the metal piece (sorry for the lack of correct terminology) is bent inward, so that when the charging handle is moved the aforesaid metal piece scrapes against the gearbox shell.

I don't believe this will cause any serious damage, but just in case it could cause any damage, how could I go about repairing this imperfection? Am I going to have to take out the gearbox in order to reach the ejection port from the inside? Thank you in advance for your help.

Loyal subject of the AUG Kingdom,

BettyBlue

Took me a while to figure out what you mean here, but I think I've got it. Please see page one of the AUG Helpdesk thread (as linked in my Sig) for the parts list and exploded diagrams, which should help you.

You will need to remove the gearbox, the metal port covers (actually a fake bolt mechanism) are attacked to the top of the gearbox. Simply remove the cover and place the metal cover on a flat piece of wood or other surface then use a hammer or something simlar to repair the dent. Then reassemble and your problem should be solved.

Also, FYI - there is no TM AUG A3. There is only the TM AUG A1 SR (special receiver) with the flat-top rail. You can tell it's the A1 by the shape of the cocking handle (amongst other things). No correct airsoft replicas of the AUG A2 or A3 exist.

Hope that helps you.

ive just taken up airsoft, and my local site (specter in newport) is a cqb site. and for my first gun i am looking at the jG aug. as i want a gun that will cover all the baces. of being portable enough to use in cqb. and having range if i start doing outdoor games. the problem is wether to get the JG Steyr AUG (AU-1G) at £115 or the JG AU-3G AUG Tactical at £150.

1) douse the Ris justify the extra £35 when using the aug.

2) and is au3g mutch heavyer or it the diffrence neglable.

3) is a seprat forgrip i would on the ris stronger than the one built in to the g1.

4) douse the ris realy help protect the barrel from un-wanted knocks

also how long is it overall compaired to a MP5 A4 (full stock) as the mp5 was the most managable gun for me (out of a mp5, g33 and fullstock m3 shotgun) that worked best on the site.

1) Not really, but it's cheaper than getting the Action RAS kit later if you liked that look better

2) Yes, it's much more front heavy than the standard AUG

3) Yes, it would be a lot stronger. But why would you need that, if you treat your gun with the respect and care it deserves you won't have a problem with the stock folding grip.

4) Yes, I suppose it would do, but there shouldn't *BE* any unwanted knocks if you're careful, and the outer barrel isn't exactly prone to getting bent unless you're *REALLY* mistreating it.

If it was me, I'd say forget both of those and get a CA AUG, either version with the scope or rail depending on your preference. I've not used the JG, but I've heard good things, so they're probably okay. I know the CA is a good buy, though. The AUG will have a MUCH longer barrel than the MP5, for overall lengths, I'd suggest a quick trip to Google, since I don't have an MP5 and can't measure it.

Are you talking about Spectre Wargames in Lower Mascoed, near Hereford? I thought they'd closed down, their website seems to have gone.

Are you sure you used a G33? I'm not even sure what that it. Do you mean G36?

Please can you pay more attention to your spelling? Thanks.

1) Not really, but it's cheaper than getting the Action RAS kit later if you liked that look better

2) Yes, it's much more front heavy than the standard AUG

3) Yes, it would be a lot stronger. But why would you need that, if you treat your gun with the respect and care it deserves you won't have a problem with the stock folding grip.

4) Yes, I suppose it would do, but there shouldn't *BE* any unwanted knocks if you're careful, and the outer barrel isn't exactly prone to getting bent unless you're *REALLY* mistreating it.

If it was me, I'd say forget both of those and get a CA AUG, either version with the scope or rail depending on your preference. I've not used the JG, but I've heard good things, so they're probably okay. I know the CA is a good buy, though. The AUG will have a MUCH longer barrel than the MP5, for overall lengths, I'd suggest a quick trip to Google, since I don't have an MP5 and can't measure it.

Are you talking about Spectre Wargames in Lower Mascoed, near Hereford? I thought they'd closed down, their website seems to have gone.

Are you sure you used a G33? I'm not even sure what that it. Do you mean G36?

Please can you pay more attention to your spelling? Thanks.

thay have a new indoor site in newport now, AND ARE WORKING ON A NEW WEBSITE

it was defanatley not a g36 it was a tm HK33A2 or HK53A2

i can be a bit clumsey and heavy handed plus some arias were quite close. i ended knocking in to and catching on things. and the aug has a lot of exposed barrel unlike most other guns, i thaught it may cause a problem.

Looking forward to the new website then. SWG was the best airsoft site I ever played at, I'm glad they're still going.

HK53. Gotcha.

Unless you're *REALL* abusing the rifle, you shouldn't have any problem with the "exposed" barrel. It's supposed to be like that.

Please see the previous pages of this thread, as much of this has been discussed before. The whole point of the FAQ thread is so people don't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

The AUG isn't really the gun to hang a lot of RIS parts on, not cheaply anyway. There are various options, but they're not always easy to achieve...

There is perfectly acceptable and CHEAP way of getting a reddot as demonstrated by members of the Austrian Army -

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xmhVRa_I8cQ/SIjKJtLo...04115615110.jpg

1204115615110.jpg

Aimpoints on a low mount, and I spose it could be rotated around the scope for height/angle preferences. :)

For a light, then just get a barrel/torch clamp to hold a torch and then run a pressure switch back.

Cheap and easy to achieve. :)

There is perfectly acceptable and CHEAP way of getting a reddot as demonstrated by members of the Austrian Army -

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xmhVRa_I8cQ/SIjKJtLo...04115615110.jpg

1204115615110.jpg

Aimpoints on a low mount, and I spose it could be rotated around the scope for height/angle preferences. :)

For a light, then just get a barrel/torch clamp to hold a torch and then run a pressure switch back.

Cheap and easy to achieve. :)

thanks

Please don't quote pictures. Simply change the [ img ] [ /img ] tags to [ url] [ /url ] tags to keep a link to the pic you're quoting if needed.

Wege: That's a good find, thanks for contributing. I might look into getting that setup for Project AUG, it looks useful.

Archived