Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

The crazy thing with that reddot up there is that it is so far above the bore. I think it is ~10cm to the top of the scope from the top of the receiverand it will be about another 3cm to the 'dot' itself, in the tube.

I wonder how high above the bore a reddot is when mounted on a M4 carry handle.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really important as long as it's zeroed correctly. It looks like it's only a couple of centimetres from the centre of the built-in optical sight to the centre of the red-dot.

Besides, at airsoft ranges, with airsoft ballistics, it's not going to make that much different anyway.

It does when you are close to branches/trees/walls/obstacles etc.

It really makes you gRRRrrr when you have the 'perfect shot' ruined because you forgot about where your barrel actually is. >_<

• 2 weeks later...

It's a rifle - what do you want?

I'd say that's a fair price.

Looks like a cut-down version of the A3, probably wouldn't be too hard to make something that looks as much like that as the Action RAS kit looks like the A3 by butchering the Action RAS kit.

This isn't really the place for news, though, either...

Hi all, I posted this over in the general discussion thread but figured this would be a better place for it. I'm looking at getting an Echo 1 Phantom (Aug) and would like to get the most range and accuracy as I can out of it. So I was thinking about putting a 650mm PSG-1 inner barrel on it and then a silencer to hide it. What I've read in this thread makes it sound like that's not a big deal but in the other thread someone mentioned that I would have a problem with suck back. Should I be worried about that?

I was also going to upgrade the bucking to a Systema bucking. Anything else you'd recommend?

thank you all for the help,

Trevdor

Interestingly, the item you link to is not a Phantom AUG, as it doesn't have the built-in silencer kit fitted. It's just a standard AUG A1 SR.

I wouldn't bother putting in a longer barrel, as you'll just be increasing the length of the weapon for no significant gains in muzzle velocity or accuracy, assuming you keep the rest of the rifle stock. As for any other recommendations... Well, I'd recommend getting a CA AUG instead. But that's just me. These clones might be first class pieces of equipment for less money, but I don't believe so, and won't until I've proved it myself.

And no, I don't have an attitude problem. I'm quite happy with it. ;)

Of the people that have used a 650mm inner barrel with their AUG, did you encounter any problems?

Bore-up kits apparently are not meant to be for longer barrels but rather higher FPS output and in the UK we couldn't use them anyway as they only start working at about 400 fps :P

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a "speed nipple" (at least that's what they used to be called) has anyone seen them for sale lately?

Cheers

Well, I'd recommend getting a CA AUG instead. But that's just me. These clones might be first class pieces of equipment for less money, but I don't believe so, and won't until I've proved it myself.

well, to a degree that is true - if JG had their trigger switch/contacts sorted, then my A1 would be pretty damned nice.

As it is, the trigger needs to be replaced (IMO) to get the AUG to perform reliably.

Am so looking forward to my parts to arrive so I can use the blimmin thing.

not the trigger contacts, but the plastics associated with them - still part of the switch unit though.

It could be mostly be issues in places where Semi Auto Only is a must though, as the FA/burst is not going to be present.

The plastic guide deforms and allows the sliding contact to ride/move out of it's groove.

shriven - what other probs with yours did you have?

My minor ones are=

rear sling swivels loose - the c-clips are not that great.

the scope was slightly off-centre - a minor adjustment to the scope needed.

the 'cocking' assembly is rough- i have to live with it and have just used some silicon lube with it to assist.

The barrel assembly locking nut unit is poorly formed allowing some movement if forced.

The front sling loop is poorly stamped - I don't use it anyway so it is taped up for silence. :)

Lack of wee foam pads to stop BBs getting into the body for example, so the pistol grip filled with BBs, which got into the trigger mech meaning some poor bugger got an awful lot more BBs than was intended. Gearbox shell was poorly cast, so my Guarder cylinder head and cylinder wouldn't fit ( at all/without a lot of fiddling respectively).

well my budget for my airsofting equipment is £200 in march. may be able to ad another £30 on top if i am lucky

along with the gun i intend to get a red dot sight, second mag and battery. some viper kneepads and a face mask.

and i would like a cross draw tac-vest. and a gun sling

douse any one use these mags http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...id=34RMTMEBB48M are thay any good or should i just get another standard mag also can you recomed another cheap place for reliable aug mags.

I've never had anything but trouble with the AUG hi-caps. Then again, I know many people have used them without problems. A lot depends on your style of play. A lot of experienced players look down on hi-cap mags as being for noobs and so on. Personally, I don't use them, primarily for reasons of reliability, but also to enhance realism and gameplay experience. The problem occurs when you're trying to go up against a group of people all using 500-rounds-plus hi-caps and hosing constantly. But that's where tactics and stealth and experience come in....

For £200, you can get a good AEG. Maybe a few accessories with it, depending on where you buy. If you're going to buy cheap, just be careful and research carefully, because often when you buy cheap, that's exactly what you get...

As for where to source parts, see the early pages of this thread for some suppliers who may or may not still have the items in question.

Hey guys, found this picture somewhere online, I think it's from a video game. I'm liking the one with the silencer.

post-15501-1232491733_thumb.png

Was thinking about getting a JG Aug A3 and adding a silencer to it. Would that be doable and would it be worth it to put a longer inner barrel in it? Think I'd be losing much range or accuracy versus the normal Aug?

I, personally, wouldn't do any of the things you just suggested.

I wouldn't buy a JG AUG, I'd buy a CA, because as far as I'm concerned, they're the best available at the moment.

I wouldn't buy a so-called A3, because it's not really the A3 at all, it's an A1 with the Action RAS kit bolted on the front, making it front-heavy and ugly. (and yes, I know that I own one, but it's still front heavy and ugly)

I wouldn't put a silencer on it, because there's no need. I certainly wouldn't put a fake (non functional) silencer on it and then run a longer inner barrel through it, because there's definitely no need. The AUG already has a 509mm inner barrel, which is longer than pretty much any AEG out there. There's really no need to use a longer one.

Putting in a longer inner barrel shouldn't decrease accuracy, but it might decrease muzzle velocity, depending on the mechbox capabilities. Back when Project AUG was actually working, however, I got 350fps with the H-Bar barrel (650mm) and 330fps with the standard barrel (509mm). That was with a heavily upgraded TM mechbox, however, not a stock JG clone one.

Archived