Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

The main reason to replace the stock hop-up unit with the all-metal one as above is to avoid problems caused by the plastic rings cracking if you remove and refit the barrel a lot. If you don't take the barrel off very often, then the stock hop-up is probably fine. Be advised that the G&P metal hop-up unit still has plastic rings.

I think I wrote about this early in the topic.... :unsure:

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The G&P "metal" hop unit is not really worth the effort, as only the body of the hop is metal, and I've never had a problem with the body of a plastic hop breaking. The PDC one is the one to get, as it is ALL metal, even the hop arm.

As for the other upgrades, in the past I have sourced parts as and when, from whatever supplier/manufacturer seemed best at the time. With a tightbore barrel, an M100 spring took my AUG over my site limits - but that will depend on your site.

Sorry for the delay in replying - hope that helps.

I've been asked a couple of questions about various AUG barrels and things, and there seems to be some confusion over what is called what. For reference, here are some images of all the Airsoft AUG variations that are part of Project AUG, with the names that I'm using now.

I'll include links, because some of the pics are Mahoosive....

5.56mm NATO:

AUG Para/Commando - 01, 02, 03 (363mm inner barrel)

AUG Carbine (455mm inner barrel)

AUG A3esque - 01, 02, 03 (500mm inner barrel)

AUG A1 (Standard barrel) (509mm inner barrel)

AUG A1 with M203 (509mm inner barrel)

AUG Masterkey - 01, 02 (650mm inner barrel)

AUG H-Bar - 01, 02, 03 (650mm inner barrel)

AUG H-Bar-T - 01, 02, 03, 04 (650mm inner barrel)

9mm NATO:

Photos pending (420mm inner barrel)

Hope that's of some value to you. With the exception of the Masterkey, they're all replicas of real-steel AUGs (The A3esque is about as close as I can get to the A3, and I like it better than the real A3 anyway). The AUG Phantom isn't a real-steel variant, so it's not part of Project AUG.

The information in this post supercedes anything I've posted before if there is a discrepancy.

if anybodys interested the phantom aug barrel lengths .The KA phantom kit comes with 2 peices .Don't know about the others as I've no experience with them .You get a long, and a short silencer peice. You can Use one, the other, or both together to make the gun stupidly long. So the lengths go like this.

short-509mm(standard)

long-630mm-ish(I cut this as I had the 650 ,and didn't want the massive option, or to have to buy a new barrel)

massive-650mm(but your only actually covering up 20mm-ish of barrel, and it adds about 8" if you add the short to the long)

I am having some issues with an aug I bought used. It has a Classic Army stock, I assume the receiver is as well, but I do not know for sure (If there is a way to tell, I would like to know). Anyways, the hopup (The *suitcasey* G&P one) does not like to mate with the gearbox, in that the gearbox air nozzle actually points somewhat up. Putting some EVA/craft foam or sorbothane on the back plate should fix this up, correct (Just pushing the gearbox in further)? I pushed the gearbox DOWNWARDS through the hopup adjustment port and put on the receiver

Other issues include firing issues. It will not always fire when I pull the trigger, suggesting misalignment somewhere in the trigger mechanism, as it is not a battery/gearbox issue. I tested both of those first, which makes it all the more frustrating. It is meeting the gearbox somehow, as I can see signs of movement, but it is not engaging the trigger bar, or not engaging it properly. Is there a way to take apart the trigger mechanism/bumping it out of position without splitting the body in two? I tried to take it out, but I did not see an easy/good way of removing it, as I could not reach/see any way of dissassembling it further, so dropped it back in place. My detent plates are still in, if it matters.

Suggestions as to how I should go about troubleshooting it? The back stock screws shouldn't make a difference, should they? I need to get new nuts for them. Also, the gearbox is a TM gearbox with a whole load of non-stock parts.

I have to say, I am not a fan of the floating gearbox concept.

If you have the "military AUG" you can tell the CA and TM receivers apart by looking at the scope. If the crosshairs meet in the middle of the circle, it's CA. If they end on the outside of the circle, so the centre of the circle is clear, then it's TM. Also the TM has a 2x scope, the CA has a 1.5x (I think) like the real steel.

Could be that your mechbox is not fitted correctly in your stock, or that your air nozzle is bent. Try takign the gearbox out and refitting it very carefully. You shouldn't need to add extra shimming, it is designed to fit into the space. Make sure nothing's sticking out of the gearbox that shouldn't be, as it could be catching on something and not locating properly.

Your feed problems could be related to the misalignment of your air nozzle and hop unit, and your trigger problems could be the result of the ill-fitting gearbox. After reading your entire post, I would say that the problem is that your gearbox is out of position somehow. Maybe there's something in the space preventing it from fitting correctly? A stray BB perhaps? Who knows...

Hope that helps.

My original TM hop cracked at the front near where the barrel clip goes, rather then the plastic rings. In this case the metal G&P hop eliminates the chance of that happening again.

Conversely enough I think I put the original TM plastic rings onto my G&P hop so they have been in use for the entire duration of my AUGs life and have not yet broken. ... all 11 years of it :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, new airsofter and AUG wielder here and first time post. I have a TM AUG and have fitted the Phantom Kit, and have checked the Phantom machine nuts to ensure that looking down the barrel there's nothing obstructing the BBs. I have a foregrip mounted to the bottom rail, and what im finding is that due to the slight movement of the upper receiver there's sometimes some misalignment causing the BBs to impact the front of the inside silencer. Even in the short configuration there's a 15mm odd gap from the front of the barrel until the opening of the silencer with enough movement to risk BB clipping. I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and worked round it, or if the only option is to get a slightly longer barrel for the short config? I'm grateful for your thoughts!

Chris

Hello, new airsofter and AUG wielder here and first time post. I have a TM AUG and have fitted the Phantom Kit, and have checked the Phantom machine nuts to ensure that looking down the barrel there's nothing obstructing the BBs. I have a foregrip mounted to the bottom rail, and what im finding is that due to the slight movement of the upper receiver there's sometimes some misalignment causing the BBs to impact the front of the inside silencer. Even in the short configuration there's a 15mm odd gap from the front of the barrel until the opening of the silencer with enough movement to risk BB clipping. I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and worked round it, or if the only option is to get a slightly longer barrel for the short config? I'm grateful for your thoughts!

Chris

I had this. I made a barrel spacer with an old bit of an mp5 .You just need to find ,or fashion something the right size

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a spare trigger system? mine has broken unfortunately and its a nightmare trying tosource them online for a decent price, and anywhere that has them are usually out of stock.

Also im trying to get a PDC/Poly hop unit, anyone know anywhere that has them in stock? or if someone has a spare. Are they still being made?

Many thanks

Richard.

Or not use the Phantom kit.

how about you offer some real advice to remedy the problem without your god damn elitist attitude. we *fruitcage* know you dont like the phantom aug kit and since this is a "AUG help desk" there will be questions about it. deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Replacement air nozzle's... type A, B , C or D? :blink:

Sorry if slighty off-topic but...I´ve never heard of this four types.

Can anybody tell me where to get any list of guns and their nozzle type?

Thanx in advance!!!

JR

I don't believe there is any such list. At least, I've not seen one.

I don't actually recall what type of metal air nozzle I'm using. However, you will be wanting this one from Deepfire, unless you're using a non-standard nozzle?

In other news - Action are now making accurate H-Bar flash excluders, King Arms are making AUG lowcap mags with replica rounds inside (they hold 45 BBs) and MAG are making AUG Midcaps that hold a whopping 170 BBs, more than double a TM standard mag, and cost a mere $46 for a pack of 4.

I'd get a CA. Although the JG is good quality for a much cheaper price, I prefer the extra quality you get with the CA, like the correct trademarks, and suchlike. But that's me.

TM are still selling their black "civilian" version with the flat-top Special Receiver, I believe, and it's classic TM quality. The CA is a clone of the TM, but with some improvements. The JG is also a clone, but a cheaper one. I've never used a JG AUG out of the box, so have no idea how they perform compared the the TM or CA. The TM AUG has a better (in my opinion) safety catch, the CA one is kinda soft whereas the TM clicks firmly between the two positions. I swapped them over on mine, I have a TM safety in my CA AUG body. I also have a TM feed nozzle assembly with a medal Iban nozzle (which doens't fit in the CA assembly). They both fit into the CA fine.

All the major parts are pretty much compatible - Project AUG has a CA body and gearbox with TM and CA receivers and TM, JG and CA barrels, they work fine. Some of the minor parts are slightly different, but it's nothing serious.

as good as the JG is, the internals are something to be left desired as well as some of the touches of the externals as well

poorly molded mechbox

missing screw holding trigger switchblock to shell

takedown button/lever slot poorly molded

spring/guide/gas tube assembly 'weak' or a bit shonky

It is nice as a whole for the price however.

Archived