Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

I have run into some feed trouble that a metal feed nozzle and gearbox plate "shimming" has not fixed, the gun is barely skirmished and hasnt even got a scratch on it yet. I checked over the internals meticulously but found no visible issues anywhere. This really has me stumped, I've had a few augs and run into feed issues before but they have always been easy to remedy.

If you guys know of anything I may have overlooked please lend me your experience. Any advice is welcome please.

**Edit** I should have said, my feed issues are limited to semi, with full auto working perfectly.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah been through all the simple stuff too, tested various different tm standards, high's and KA mids (which are terrible on their own anyway) and still have the same issues. Checked hop assembly and nozzle, not even sure if they could cause this but checked non the less.

I'd get a CA. Although the JG is good quality for a much cheaper price, I prefer the extra quality you get with the CA, like the correct trademarks, and suchlike. But that's me.

HAHA, the trademarks are about as correct as the phantom aug kits

Sorry if slighty off-topic but...I´ve never heard of this four types.

Can anybody tell me where to get any list of guns and their nozzle type?

Thanx in advance!!!

JR

I would recommend a CA airseal nozzle for AUG. DF is a bit shorter than the stock ASN, which can cause misfeeds (already did).

• 2 weeks later...

Right, my AUG has developed a problem with semi auto fire, it's happened steadily over time. Basically, it'll fire on semi fine for a few shots, then it'll take 3-4 pulls to the semi point to fire the one BB then it'll fire normally again, and repeat ad nauseam. The contacts that can be seen on the outside of the gearbox are all clean, so any ideas as to why it's doing this and how I can fix it! I want my AUG back :(

Right, my AUG has developed a problem with semi auto fire, it's happened steadily over time. Basically, it'll fire on semi fine for a few shots, then it'll take 3-4 pulls to the semi point to fire the one BB then it'll fire normally again, and repeat ad nauseam. The contacts that can be seen on the outside of the gearbox are all clean, so any ideas as to why it's doing this and how I can fix it! I want my AUG back :(

The black/yellow plastic assembly w/ wires nearest the air-nozzle is the semi-contact box. you likely need to just bend the contacts back into shape or perhaps replace them all together.

edit'd for clarity

I'd guess - just a guess mind - at trigger-contact corrosion from arcing or physical damage. Fitting a mosfet and cleaning the contacts up should solve the first, physically adjusting the contacts should solve the second.

Of course, it could be something else entirely....

Agree with the above. Sounds like a contact problem. They may just need bending back or replacing all together. If you want to prevent it from happening again get a mosfet. It only takes a few minutes of soldering and you dont even need to open the gearbox.

JG version, but with a CA gearbox I believe. I gave it to a mate to replace the cylindder set + pistonwho said he got wound up by the JG gearbox not fitting anything, and put his shiny new CA one in!

Cant say I blame him. The jg gearbox is a nightmare in my opinion. The tolerances are so loose that the trigger and ARL wont sit still which makes it a pain to put together. Not to mention there is so much play in the bushes that no matter how well you get it shimmed the gears still rattle around. Maybe I just got unlucky but all my jg gearbox shells have been replaced with TM's.

• 1 month later...

I replaced a lost spring for the trigger mech (external trigger, not the mechbox trigger arm). Its the one where you remove the upper and there is a plastic unit with four screws that slides back and forth.

I believe the unit is supposed to provide resistance for the trigger and to return the trigger to unpressed after being pulled.

Well, when I tested the gun on the field. I noticed 2 things.

1. The gun would double or triple tap sometimes when I lightly pulled the trigger for a single shot.

2. Sometimes the gun would fire on its own accord and in particular, if I changed mags the gun would fire as soon as the fresh mag was inserted.

Now I was tired when I got back last night so I have not tried removing this spring to see if the gun will function without it.

I thought I might ask to see if anyone else has encountered anything like this before I start taking the gun to bits again!

For the record I did not use the gun on the day for the reasons above and it chrono'd slightly over the site limit even with an M100 spring. I must have excellent compression on this gun some how!

Thanks for your time,

Wayne

General - check the spring you fitted is strong enough, try using a more powerful one. Also, check the trigger mechanism on the gearbox itself, as wear or damage there could be the cause of the problems you're having.

Skoda - it sounds like the piston isn't being drawn all the way back during full auto. What upgrades, if any, have you done to the gearbox? The battery you're using may not be providing enough power during full-auto firing. Have you fitted a powerful spring or motor? You may need to change the spring, battery or motor, or some combination of these. Also, check your gears for wear.

Hope that helps.

One of my Aug's seems to be suffering from low fps and I can’t work out why.

Its fitted with: a 1j spring, bearing spring guide, air seal nozzle, tight bore and systema hop up. I would expect this to reach 330fps at least but its only getting up to 300.

The piston compression is good but I think the problem maybe where the nozzle meets the hop. I don’t think the nozzle is going far enough forward to get a good seal on the bucking.

Anyone else had similar experience with their Aug? If so how did you fix it?

I’m pretty sure its the correct one (measured it against my other AUG nozzles). It only seems to be out by a little bit maybe 1mm if that. When I put my hand over the magwell and fire I can feel a small amount of air escaping.

Maybe there is a small seem in the gearbox preventing the tappet plate from returning far enough forward.

Will have to take it all apart again and have a look.

Thanks Hedganian for the very quick reply to my question I will be looking into the answers you gave me

Always nice to get positive feedback. Hope it works out for you.

Quick question,

can this a doctor sight fit on top of a Steyr Aug Mil.

If so any pictures of how you would go about doing something like this.

Thanks

Yes, but you'll need to pack something around the scope tube, as the scope is quite thin. Those sights are designed primarily to fit onto the back of an Acog-style optical sight. I'd love to see one mounted on an AUG, I think it might look good.

Archived