Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

Wege, would you mind letting me know what steps you took to reach this result and what tools used? That would be really nice.

Have an old f***ed up A2 receiver lying around I could practice on before moldesting the good one from my spare part box :D

Thanks alot

Jens

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have started a thread about this, but I'm hoping I'll get better responses here.

So I plan on getting a Hexagon Productions HBAR kit for my JG Auga1. I think I had heard somewhere that if you use a barrel shorter than 650mm, the inner barrel will bounce around inside.(May have been only the boom arms kit, but I was under the impression that the HP was a clone of the BA)

But Ive also heard that people use 600mm barrels in them (even suggests that on the Hexagon website). Also I do not want to get such a long barrel because I don't want to have to buy a 60$+ bore up kit.

So my question is, can I use a shorter inner barrel?

and what is the longest I can have in there without needing a bore up cylinder kit? (I heard 590 somewhere, So that's what I was thinking)

And if I was to get a 650mm barrel, would I REALLY need a bore up kit? what kind of FPS droppage should I expect? (I plan on running a Stock JG spring with full cylinder and element silent piston head)

Hi Guys,

I've just got a JG AUG A3 and i've been looking around and some are fitted with mosfet's as standard and some dont (for some reason :huh: ).

i know that the mosfet can increase ROF and stop wear on electrical contacts but is it really worth it or am i better off leaving as is as i'm happy with it at the mo (although i havn't had a match with it yet...).

• 2 weeks later...
I have started a thread about this, but I'm hoping I'll get better responses here.

So I plan on getting a Hexagon Productions HBAR kit for my JG Auga1. I think I had heard somewhere that if you use a barrel shorter than 650mm, the inner barrel will bounce around inside.(May have been only the boom arms kit, but I was under the impression that the HP was a clone of the BA)

But Ive also heard that people use 600mm barrels in them (even suggests that on the Hexagon website). Also I do not want to get such a long barrel because I don't want to have to buy a 60$+ bore up kit.

So my question is, can I use a shorter inner barrel?

and what is the longest I can have in there without needing a bore up cylinder kit? (I heard 590 somewhere, So that's what I was thinking)

And if I was to get a 650mm barrel, would I REALLY need a bore up kit? what kind of FPS droppage should I expect? (I plan on running a Stock JG spring with full cylinder and element silent piston head)

The inner barrel will float around inside the outer barrel unless it is:

1) held in place at each end by the muzzle and hop-up

2) Shimmed

3) the outer barrel's inner diameter is narrow, so that there is no space for the inner barrel to wander off-centre.

With the Boom Arms kit, (3) wasn't the case, so you'd need to either get a long enough inner barrel for (1) to apply or to shim the inner barrel to stop it wobbling. I haven't used the HP kit, so I don't know - you might need to check it out yourself.

I used a 650mm inner barrel with my TM/CA AUG without any problems, without fitting a different cylinder/piston/etc. Originally, I found that the 650mm barrel *increased* muzzle velocity by approx 20fps, however after having Project AUG overhauled, this no longer seems to be the case. Your milage may vary.

As long as you ensure that your effective cylinder volume is equal to or greater than your barrel volume, then you should be fine. Again, you'll have to do a bit of research yourself.

howdy ya'll im looking to create a super aug military with the most similar feel to the real deal and hot as skirmish performance to boot. After reading 18 pages of this thread practically all my questions have been answered but id like to double check with the experts for assurance and maybe some advice.

Plan is to buy a JG AUG "A3" (hot internals, mosfet etc) and a CA AUG Military (nice body, optics) and swap the internals (inner barrel+hop and mech) over.

Would the JG A3 internals (barrel, mech) drop right into the CA? I think yes because they both clones of the TM but in the past ive learnt that tolerances can be a *badgeress*.

Is the CA AUG Mil pretty similar asthetically to the real deal?

I've heard good things but never handled one in person, the JG AUG Mil I have handled - and the body plastic wasnt rubbery enough, the cocking action was limp, the outer barrel seemed flimsey and the entire thing seemed to be a fraction too small? Seems picky but the combination of these flaws made it seem asthetically *albatross*, although the skirmish performance was OK. Advice appreciated oh wise ones.

• 2 weeks later...
The plastic nozzle seems to be ok, I test-fired 3 types of mags: TM standard cap, TM high-cap and MAG mid-cap. For some strange reason, semi auto seems to work almost flawless now, except with the high-cap which doesn't matter since I'm not using it anymore. Anyway, full auto works perfectly, semi auto doesn't doublefeed anymore. Strange... Maybe the gearbox wasn't installed correctly ?

Today I opened 'er up to check if it was the piston ring (a tip from someone on ASR), but it didn't matter. BB's still curve and semi-auto has problems with the MAG mid-caps. I'm going to check the hopup assembly next, removing the hopup nub and see what happens. Since I'm running a TK barrel, that shouldn't be a big problem...

As I think I said before (if not, I've said it somewhere) the TK twist barrels aren't designed to work with hop-up systems, IIRC, so the two could be interfering with each other and causing your problems.

As for your feed problems, if you're certain it's not the feed nozzle interface with the magazine, check that it's interfacing with the bottom of the hop unit correctly, as slightly alignment issues can cause feed jams.

As I think I said before (if not, I've said it somewhere) the TK twist barrels aren't designed to work with hop-up systems, IIRC, so the two could be interfering with each other and causing your problems.

As for your feed problems, if you're certain it's not the feed nozzle interface with the magazine, check that it's interfacing with the bottom of the hop unit correctly, as slightly alignment issues can cause feed jams.

TK twist barrels are designed to work with hop-up. I've never had an issue with the 20+ TK barrel's I've installed in people's guns working with hop-up. The results are amazing.

On a side note, will a PEQ14 fit onto the right side of the receiver if a rail is installed?

Today I started out by changing the entire hopup and barrel back to stock. Testfired that setup and then changed something. Testfired again and changed something again. This is the conclusion.

TK barrel, Guarder rubber, H-nub: BB's stray after about 60-80ft

Stock barrel, stock rubber, stock nub: BB's curve to the right sometimes after 60-80ft

Stock barrel, stock rubber, H-nub: BB's seem to stay almost straight but still curving down

Stock barrel, Guarder rubber, H-nub: BB's seem to get the highest range with this setup

So I'm going to stay with this setup and keep the TK barrel for another project. I'm tired of putting in so many hours to find out why it doesn't laser like it used to. It could be many things, even the backplate, the nozzle airseal, etc. For me, it's good enough now so I'll leave it like it is.

IMG_0738.jpg

The final result.

Ollie - that'd be a reasonable idea. I'm not sure about the epoxy thing, though - maybe a couple of drops on the edges just to hold it in place; but you do need to be able to remove it under some circumstances.

Also, for future reference, there is a TM parts list available, the link is in the first post of this thread - it might help people to understand better what you mean if you can refer to it and quote the part number. I have a few of the numbers memorised (because I'm sad like that) plus I have the link to the parts list myself. :)

Looking for some gearbox parts (mostly AUG specific) - check out the link in my sig.

In other news, I'll be making the mould for the A2 charging handle tomorrow, expect to see test castings soon, though not 100% on when I'll be able to supply finished ones...

Hedganian, You're actually a great help. Im sure I'm not the first for saying it, but Thanks for overseeing this thread, and the help and advice that's given in it.

Hey, that's what I'm here for.

It's nice to be appreciated, and there are many who seem to take issue, so always nice to see someone understanding the score.

Thanks. :)

Stunt - I haven't done a guide as such, although I think I have mentioned in a post on Arnies somewhere.....

By all means, post up what you've come up with. I'm sure it will be useful.

I found the picture for the Semi fire selector modification the other day, but right when I actually NEED it, I can't bloody find it :rolleyes:

And it seems the link to the Philipino Airsoft forum it came from ( Which I found earlier in this thread) Is now broken. ANyone fancy posting it in here, and maybe moving it to the first page for reference?

well after a while in the dark i think i finally found what i have been looking for :)

other people as obsessed (or maybe more so) with Augs than me .

this may already be covered in the thread but having read most of the last few years worth of posts its all a bit confusing, i am still looking for a few mods to my own aug collection that i have struggled to locate.

1. shorter outer barrel (the one a few inch long, then flash hider rather than a direct fit to body type)

2. 9mm conversion kit including a magwell conversion if possible

3. 42rd high caps for hbar

4. is there a uk retailer carrying the HP Hbar kit and has anybody done a review of its build quality is it any good

i currently have 6 full augs and i am working on a not so real steel aug EOD DMR project at the min, originaly started with the premis of a modular barrel kit but to many riz made this impossible now i have a modular upper reciver kit :)

Archived