Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

1. Best ask Hedge!

2. There's no commercial one - Doc did a custom one for Hedge and it's a a fairly easy job to run a barrel up on a lathe. The magwell is doable, but again, not commercially produced.

3. How many do you want? ;) There's no commercially produced ones but I do make 'em (500 rounds + 50 up the spout) http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...t&p=1728592

4. Haven't a clue about that I'm afraid.

6 AUGs you say? feel free to peruse the wanted thread in my sig... ;) Am looking for the parts to get no. 3 up and running.

In other news, I've started casting the A2 charging handles, only a few for the time being, and currently only in black resin. Hedge and Shriven, do either of ye want one?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well after a while in the dark i think i finally found what i have been looking for :)

other people as obsessed (or maybe more so) with Augs than me .

this may already be covered in the thread but having read most of the last few years worth of posts its all a bit confusing, i am still looking for a few mods to my own aug collection that i have struggled to locate.

1. shorter outer barrel (the one a few inch long, then flash hider rather than a direct fit to body type)

2. 9mm conversion kit including a magwell conversion if possible

3. 42rd high caps for hbar

4. is there a uk retailer carrying the HP Hbar kit and has anybody done a review of its build quality is it any good

i currently have 6 full augs and i am working on a not so real steel aug EOD DMR project at the min, originaly started with the premis of a modular barrel kit but to many riz made this impossible now i have a modular upper reciver kit :)

1 - See links on page one of this thread (if they're broken, let me know)

2 - Contact Doc for availability and prices if he'll be able to do another one based on the details I supplied for mine (As seen here). The magazine adaptor isn't finished yet, so get in line. Failing that, ask Donut for a parts list and how-to guide for the one he made, which was pretty good.

3 - Treadhead's your man for these. 42-round long AUG mags available in Hi-cap or low-cap variants, just send him 2 normal-length AUG mags and get 1 42-rounder back! :)

4 - I don't know of any UK supplier for the H-Bar kit, and I haven't seen a review of the new kit. I wrote a review of the Boom Arms kit myself, which is still knocking around the web here and there, but that's not a lot of use in relation to the new stuff.

Just a question - why do you need 6 full AUGs when you can just swap barrels?

Having said that, I may have to start getting more bodies and gearboxes and tuning each one for different barrels, Project AUG just doesn't seem to want to play properly any more.... :(

4. is there a uk retailer carrying the HP Hbar kit and has anybody done a review of its build quality is it any good

I just got an HP HBAR kit, and it has great build quality.

I'll break down the problems with it though.

1. Barrel lengths suggested seem to be wrong. It seems every length barrel besides very short ones will bounce around without spending some time with spacing (even 650mm). To make mine work I took an extra aug metal barrel jacket (the metal tube that holds the back part of the barrel in place inside of the outer barrel) and sawed it down, and filed it to fit perfectly with the flash hider, so now I essentially have a two piece barrel jacket that goes all of the way to the inside of the flash hider. I have heard of others being able to use 650mm and 590mm barrels without modification though, so it could just be that mine is weird.

2. Mine arrived with some light rust on it. I think it looks good like that though

3. The springs that hold the legs in place are held in by nothing but the legs themself, so if you pull the legs out by mistake (can easily happen while adjusting) the springs can be lost. But that is a simple fix as I just glued them to the adjustment button.

The overall build quality is excellent and impressively solid. It makes actually makes the gun about a pound heavier than the real AUG HBAR though (unloaded). If you get it, be prepared to do some work to make an inner barrel work if yours is like mine.

OK, I've got a few minutes.

Here is a pictorial how-to for the vertical grip pin replacement.

Get all your stuff together.

I'm using a knife, don't use a knife, it's dangerous.

Get an adult to do it or something.

If you are an adult, don't do it drunk.

DSC00710_1.jpg

Soak the vertical grip in some very hot/boiling water.

Boiling water is dangerous, don't use boiling water, get an adult to do it.

If they don't want to do it for you, remember you have a knife, make them.

DSC00711_1.jpg

Get the knife you don't have and find the join where the two halves of the grip meet, then carefully split the two halves.

DSC00712_1.jpg

Slowly split the two halves, if you look at the photo below you will see the there are some metal pins and plastic protrusions that will get in the way.

Just stick the blade in the gap and wiggle it and the crack will advance, in time you will get this:

DSC00713_1.jpg

Now get your epoxy.

The stuff I use for this sort of thing is slow setting and clear, slow setting epoxy sets flexible and clear reduces the impact of any slips.

DSC00714_1.jpg

Mix the two parts, make slightly more than you'll need.

Glue the pin into the grip, it will only go in one way.

Don't get glue in the hole, it will interfere with the spring.

Put a thin line around the edge of the grip, press the two halves together, the metal pins will help you locate the parts properly.

Leave the spare stuff on the mixing card.

DSC00716_1.jpg

You should have this:

DSC00717_1.jpg

Remove the excess from the outside of the grip using a paper towel:

DSC00719_1.jpg

Stick some low-tack masking tape on it to keep the two halves together.

DSC00720_1.jpg

Now, once you have taped it together keep an eye on the left over bit on the card, once it is hard you can remove the tape, you are done.

Just a question - why do you need 6 full AUGs when you can just swap barrels?

Having said that, I may have to start getting more bodies and gearboxes and tuning each one for different barrels, Project AUG just doesn't seem to want to play properly any more.... :(

Because i can really

well that and they came with them and i have not got round to selling off parts due to my normal just in case attitude

as my project has expanded i have also decided a range of tuned bodies as you suggest would be a good plan, airsoft been a fickle beast will require a few bodies to fit all roles i want

and the final reason been if i drag mates along with me i can now form a unit all armed with augs,

had a thought, has or could anybody make any short Aug mags? for the sniper derivative looking at low caps with maybe 20/30rd to be similar to a aug 10rd mag i am guessing its just a case of cutting down mid caps and rerunning the internals but having not opened one up i dont know how tricky or simple this would be.

had a thought, has or could anybody make any short Aug mags? for the sniper derivative looking at low caps with maybe 20/30rd to be similar to a aug 10rd mag i am guessing its just a case of cutting down mid caps and rerunning the internals but having not opened one up i dont know how tricky or simple this would be.

Should be easy enough... I'll give you the same deal I gave Hedge when I asked me to experiment with long standard mags - send me a mag and I'll try it - if it works out you get a free shorty mag, if it doesn't work then you're down a mag.

Simples! ;)

Though aren't they the low capacity mags from then the Assault Rifle Ban was in force in the US rather than sniper mags?

Should be easy enough... I'll give you the same deal I gave Hedge when I asked me to experiment with long standard mags - send me a mag and I'll try it - if it works out you get a free shorty mag, if it doesn't work then you're down a mag.

Simples! ;)

Though aren't they the low capacity mags from then the Assault Rifle Ban was in force in the US rather than sniper mags?

i will get back to you, as i only currently have high caps so will try to source some lowcaps to experiment.

Today I got a 9.6v 2000MAh battery for it, it doesn't fit in the battery compartment, even after trimming the backplate, but that's an issue for later. The problem now is, it feeds like ###### with my midcaps. I haven't tried lowcap yet but I'm not going to use those anyway. It fires perfectly if I hold the gun upside down, but when holding it normally it just doesn't fire most of the time. What could be the problem ?

Also, for the butt plate, is there a bigger alternative or another solution ? Now I got one of the sticks of the battery taped to the stock but I don't want it to be a permanent solution...

Your feed issue sounds like a fault with the magazine springs. Try some other mags, see if that makes a difference.

Refer to the early posts in this thread for discussion of battery options. However, the REAL solution is to drop that new battery like a hot rock and buy LiPo packs that will perform better, hold more and be smaller.

These are the ones I've got, and they're excellent.

As for your battery compartment problems - contact Doc and get one of his small metal replacement gearbox retaining plates. If you go LiPo, however, then you won't be needing one.

OK I'll try other mags soon ! I'll lube it if it still seems to stick.

The battery I bought was because I didn't want to get LiPo yet. If I'm going LiPo, I need to buy 3 different batteries to replace the Ni-Mh's and a decent charger, which would easily add up to 200$. My batteries are functioning just fine at the moment, so this will be a future thing. I already cut the gearbox plate and put the fuse behind it, but the problem is it is this battery:

Firfox%20Ni-mh%202000mah%209.6V%20battery.JPG

I got the short stick and a long stick in the battery compartment after cutting the gearbox backplate and some of the rubber buttplate, but the second long stick isn't going to fit in there, unless I can find a larger stock buttplate or something. I would like the buttplate extended anyway, because it would be more comfortable to aim for me, too.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement plastic body for the JG AUG? My Son slipped on some ice and fell hard on top of the gun, literally snapping it in half, just forward of the gearbox. Not really a problem with the JG stock, as it was 18 degrees farenheit out and he landed just right. Any input would be appreciated.

Um, well, I don't want to suggest anything that might make you uncomfortable, but maybe you should have got a battery for your AUG that actually *FITS*

This issue is already discussed early in the thread.

You are right though. The store I bought other items from only had this battery as a good option and it seemed to fit. I was in a "problems for later" mood and decided to see what I can do with it. I can't find a good solution so I guess I'll have make a buttstock out of something.

The mag problem was indeed a MAG problem, as another 170rd mag fired all BB's just perfectly. A white stream of BB's is a sexy thing to behold...

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement plastic body for the JG AUG? My Son slipped on some ice and fell hard on top of the gun, literally snapping it in half, just forward of the gearbox. Not really a problem with the JG stock, as it was 18 degrees farenheit out and he landed just right. Any input would be appreciated.

Buy a used AUG off the forums. If you're not in a rush, you can probably get one being stripped for parts, usually with a knackered gearbox. I'd sell you a stock, but I'm fresh out right now...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I have been following the AUG threads here for a long time but I haven't posted anything yet. I have seen fantastic jobs and mods done by some aug-lovers, you really know this gun! :)

Well, I will post a problem and a question.

My "problem" is this. My AUG's accuracy is not the best, it never was. I have changed some things and it got better, but now I am having more or less the same problem again, BB's always turn to the right!... Sometimes more than others but they do.

It shall not be a gearbox problem, those are solved already, so I am thinking it might be due to one of two things:

1 - The feeding nozzle;

2 - The barrel is slightly turned to the right so the hole where the hop-up rubber gets out is not centered.

I think it might be the second one... Probably due to that U-shaped platic thing that is supposed to hold the barrel, i might say. I have a G&P metal chamber which you guys seem to dislike. I really am thinking of changing it to the Poly one, would you advise it in order to get more consistent fire? Is is better to have a more stable barrel?

The question is about a cilinder set. I will shorten my AUG so that the internal barrel will get less 5 or 6 centimeters than the original 50,9cm. Is it advisable to install a bore-up kit in order to have better accuracy? Or a kit like this (http://en.airsofthardware.de/shop/show/5737?item=13&page=1&search_cat=0&searchstring=aug) is better as the length of the barrel is not "so big"??

I hope I was clear with my doubts, any help is welcome, thanks. :)

_________

My specs:

-TM AUG A2

-G&P Metal Hop-Up Chamber

-Guarder Hop Rubber with Element H-spacer

-Area1000 Cilinder and Piston Heads

-Area1000 Nozzle

-Tight Bore Systema

-Li-PO 7.4V 1900mAh

• 4 weeks later...

Archived