Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the

King Arms Silencer Adaptor for AUG

and the

ACTION Special Forces Silencer (250mm, 14mm CW/CCW)

and wanted to do switch the outer barrel to this:

cimg7395resize.jpg

But this is not possible, because the inner diameter of the KA Adaptor is smaller than the normal one from the outer barrel:

cimg7483resize.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its hard to fit a barrel in there

cimg7479resize.jpg

and it will not go over the silver aluminium "stabilizer-tube".

cimg7480resize.jpg

So it cant be mounted instead of the outer barrel without cutting the barrel (what i dont want).

cimg7420resize.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is there another mock mock mock silencer adaptor or are all like this?

Will the ACTION Silencer Adaptor for Marui AUG work?

Please help, dont want my AUG to look like this:

cimg7498resize.jpg

:wide-eyed: Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You have two options:

1) Unscrew the screws holding the hop-up unit and innter barrel to the plastic outer barrel. Unscrew the screws holding the plastic outer barrel to the foregrip/gas block. Take a hacksaw and cut off the aluminium barrel shroud flush with the end of the plastic outer barrel. Reassemble and everything will be fine.

2) Clamp the "silencer adaptor" and drop an 11mm drill bit down the centre to bore it out large enough to accept the aluminium barrel shroud.

Simples.

Yes, it'll work, but it's no better than a plastic hop up.

This is discussed in one of the first posts in this thread, so I'm not going to repeat myself (Afterall, that's why I *made* this thread, to save me having to type the same thing over and over again)

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear?

It's the same. It doesn't matter WHO makes it. The rings are still plastic and will break. The body (metal in this case) and plastic in the stock ones very rarely break, so there's no need to buy this design.

Hell, the JG AUG comes as stock with a metal-bodied hop-up unit exactly the same as the one you've pictured.

You want to get an all-metal one, as linked to early in the thread and available from various retailers, because the things that are most likely to break if you change barrels a lot are the hop-up rings.

This is from G&G not G&P.

I know the G&P, but this is a M14 Style one.

CA also makes one for the M14:

336p.jpg

Will these M14-Style HopUp Units work with the AUG or do they have other measurements?

I think the easiest thing to do is try one out if you can afford it. You're really wasting your time here. This guy has his head so far up his own *albartroth*, he obviously can't even hear you.

• 1 month later...

I have feeding problems on my AUG, what can i do?

This is a "AUG-only" problem caused buy the splitted hop-up-unit.

Check if your Gearbox and Hop-Up-Unit are tight together:

img8059resize.jpg

Also make sure the Gearbox doesnt move back when shooting. To prevent this, add a rubberpad/sorbothanepad or something else here (Part# ST-21, AUG059, AU-21):

img8060resize.jpg

The AUG-Problem: The Hop-Up is splitted in 2 pieces: The main hop-up and the uploading/feeding nozzle. Make sure they are one above the other. Notice the BB here in the pic:

img8066resize.jpg

Here its not the case:

img7985resize.jpg

This leads to clogged BBs, and they sometimes destroy your nozzle. Check if your nozzle already looks like this:

img8074resize.jpg

Also check your uploading-nozzle:

img7996resize.jpg

Sometimes it isnt smooth, you can make it better with a biro:

img7918resize.jpg

Knife:

img7921resize.jpg

Or sandpaper:

img7920resize.jpg

Also check the other side of the feeding-nozzle. They are different, here TM, CA and JG:

img7147resize.jpg

This is the Part# ST-20, AUG050-1, AU-20. If you can find a Tokyo Marui - buy it! Never had problems with TM.

You can buy a metal uploading-nozzle. I think deepfire makes them. But you have to modify it a bit (sand the outer-diamter down so that the mags fit better).

• 1 month later...

Recently a strange idea popped into my head, to get an AUG.

I have looked at the CA and JG AUG A1 variants. I have read most *read some* of this thread and quite a few reviews on each.

However, I was wondering which is generally a better performer.

The JG is probably the best choice for its price. The CA would be my pick if money is not an issue, it has several enhancements of Marui's original design. You are, of course, aware that the CA and JG are both clones of the TM?

The TM has no advantage over the CA, it just costs more. Also, TM don't make the "military" version any more, so if you want the built-in scope instead of the flat-top rail you have to go CA or JG.

Whichever one you pick, you should replace the hop-up unit with the PDC all-metal one, and get a steel foregrip pin. Fitting them is not hard, it should be discussed earlier in this thread.

If you have any other issues, please check this thread - there's lots of information here, particularly in the early posts before lots of discussion started taking place. If you're still stuck, don't hesitate to ask.

I'd go for Marui without even thinking of those two ;)

Then you'd be making a mistake.

righty ho ,as requested .Ever wanted a fire selecter on your aug rather than the 2 stage trigger? Well here you go...

Now as its already done its not gonna be step by step ,but fortunatly its fairly streight forward. Firstly to remove the selecter you just push it and pops out easy as, but remember keep the spring clip which it sits against safe as it will drop out. To cut it I used a small flat square piece of metal ,which I held in mole grips and heated to make the initial cuts .Then a scaple to tidy it up .I used a triangular file to make the 3rd selector notch. Finally the scaple and paint again to make the new dots.

Cuts marked here in magenta are all 2mm in length.

DSC_0128-1.jpg

Cut marked in blue is 2mm ,green one is 3mm .The red dot marks the new selector notch ,which lays bang on between the 2 original notches.

DSC_0129-2.jpg

This shows the opposite side. Once again the cut marked in blue is 2mm ,green one is 3mm .The red dot marks the new selector notch ,which lays bang on between the 2 original notches.

DSC_0127-1.jpg

And again the red line marks the new selector notch ,which lays bang on between the 2 original notches. The 2 yellow dots mark the new selector dots ,and the original one is painted out

DSC_0130-2.jpg

This one in OD is going spare if anybodys interested. Now I know my guides tend to be a bit slap dash ,so if you have any Q's please ask.

Cheers, Sharky :)

Marui makes the best plastic and has fantastic internals out of the box. I have seen a CA AUG breaking the foregrip and a CA G3 breaking the metal! body while my brother's Marui G3 (plastic) is falling and falling and is still perfect. Maybe its bad luck for the CA's reaching Portugal but me and many people I know dont have good memories of them.

I trust TM "with my life" :D But low-budget chinese, CA and G&G I dont...

@L85FREAK: If you find a shop selling the PDC hop send me a PM please :)

heroshark - i also did this. I made some switches out of epoxy. One Save-Semi-Auto and one Save-Semi Switch. Works well on TM and JG, not so good on CA because of the bad switch-unit.

Pictures can be found here: http://forum.airsoftaustria.com/showthread.php?t=39269&highlight=[tut]

I compared every single part of the TM, CA and the JG A3 (JG A2 and A1 might be different):

If you want the best AUG, get a TM and upgrade the Gearbox. Why? Because TM has the best Stock, the best Trigger, the best ST-20 part - things you can not switch. The finish and the accuracy of fit is way better on the TM.

Examples:

The stock - plastic and finish:

Marui A2:

img7222u.th.jpg

CA A2:

img7223resize.th.jpg

JG A3:

img7224v.th.jpg

The Gearbox Shells - A3 is the best, CA sucks because most upgrade parts will not fit:

img8222.th.jpg

Feeding/Uploading Nozzle: TM(+++) - CA(-) - JG(+):

img7161resize.th.jpg

Part# ST-20 (AUG050-1, AU-20): TM - CA - JG, look at the plasitc finish:

img7151.th.jpg

img7146resize.th.jpg

HOP-UP:

JG: img7534resize.th.jpg

CA: img7533resize.th.jpg

TM: img7532resize.th.jpg

Trigger:

JG: img7408resize.th.jpg

CA: img7407resize.th.jpg

TM: img7406resize.th.jpg

All the stock hop units are junk, the plastic rings break far too easily with repeated removal and refitting of the barrel assembly. Most after-market "metal" hope units still have plastic rings, so they're a waste of money. The only hop unit with metal rings that I've seen is the PDC one, and therefore it's the only useful hop unit for an AUG.

Parts you cannot switch? Balderdash! My CA AUG is running happily with a TM ST-20 part in it. The reason for this is that the metal feed nozzle I had wouldn't fit in the CA version due to the different style feed nozzles CA used. Again, the plastic nozzle on any AUG is simply not strong enough to stand up to repeated mag changes, and a metal nozzle is the way forward. The TM part has the advantage of some foam stuck to it, which helps avoid BBs creeping into the body, which CA and JG seem to have overlooked. Simply remove your CA or JG equivalent and stick your own foam to it. Problem solved.

TM's safety catch is better than the CA one, I'll grant you that. Nice firm, positive clicks into place at each end. The CA one was less firm and slid from one position to the other. Probably more tactical, as no loud click when you come off safe. However, I simply liked the TM one better, so swapped them over when I got a CA. It was the work of 60 seconds, if that.

All the external metal parts on all the AUG versions - and indeed on most AEGs - are made from pot metal. TM was particularly notorious for poor quality metal for years, nicknamed Marui's Monkey-Metal (MMM). Steel foregrip pins are essential as the pot-metal foregrip pin will not stand up to any sort of hard use at all, and people seem to be pathologically incapable of keeping the grip folded up when they borrow a gun, even if they are repeatedly told to do so. Then they bash it against a wall or tree and bang, there goes your grip pin. Unless you've got a steel one, which might stand up to it. For a bit...

I've never had any issues getting upgrade parts to fit in the V3 mechbox of my CA AUG. IIRC, Doc didn't have any issues fitting identical parts into 4 AUGs I sent him, 1 CA, 2 TM and a JG, so I don't know where you're coming from there at all.

Lastly, CA AUGs are the only ones I've seen with anything like realistic trades on the plastic. The A1 scope on the CA AUG is much better than the TM version was, also, and the CA gas plus is slightly less prone to getting lost than the TM version. This fiddly part is simply fixed in place on all my AUGs with epoxy resin as soon as I get them into my hands, to avoid them going missing.

Parts you cannot switch? Balderdash! My CA AUG is running happily with a TM ST-20 part in it.

yup, mine too, simply replaced the entire internal CA magwell with the equivalent TM parts (and a metal nozzle)

I've never had any issues getting upgrade parts to fit in the V3 mechbox of my CA AUG. IIRC, Doc didn't have any issues fitting identical parts into 4 AUGs I sent him, 1 CA, 2 TM and a JG, so I don't know where you're coming from there at all.

I've not had a JG AUG, but I have noticed my TM uppers don't fit well into the CA body - it's a struggle to get them to sit down the last mil or so and allow the catch to engage...

Lastly, CA AUGs are the only ones I've seen with anything like realistic trades on the plastic.

They're not particaulrly realistic, they just have the Steyr logo added(which I will happily admit I like on there).

RS trades here:

http://albums.pixagogo.com/Photos/Albums/Photo.aspx?id=S4YIr9akNPlXxYtpdnOJ5QslRAC4DvjuQdzkunuGbeRlnx2ebKbHrutnEPjlz3MQTK

I couldn't agree more about the scope, the TM scope is awful, I only have one out of a sense of geeky collectorness! ;)

I actually ike the tighter fit you get with the TM/CA mixed parts. Helps cut down on some of the wobble/creaking/etc you're always going to get with removable parts held together by only a few limited fasteners. But that's just personal preference, I suppose.

I realise that the CA "trades" aren't all that realistic, and perhaps the Steyr logo is actually making it *less* accurate in terms of realism - although that's a bit odd, they must have had to be licensed to use that trademarked logo, so why not go a bit further and put in all-real trades? - but I agree, I do like the logo, and I'd think the RS would have one. I must look more closely next time I see one on the range.

My point was that the CA "trades" and logo are better than the TM "trades" and no logo, and JGs are just blank, so no contest there.

The Guarder Cylinder Head and others doesnt fit in the CA Shell.

With "Parts you cannot switch?" i mean AUG peculiar parts you can not buy anymore (easily).

Other thing: Where can you buy a NEW TM, CA or JG AUG today? Last time i checked the shops all where "sold out".

Archived