Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a little trouble finding a guide for installing an AUG mosfet, is there one listed in this thread? So far I haven't found one, thanks.

In return I will add a little info, I just got a JG aug and the front grip wobble annoyed me, it was second hand and also missing the e-clip holding on the sling swivel. I bought some 4mm e-clips, affixed my sling swivel and used a spare on the dowel holding on the fore grip as a shim, reducing lateral movement. The 4mm clip holds itself on well as it seems to be a 4mm dowel, now the grip is sturdier, the clips were 10 delivered for 3$ off ebay.

Please read the thread before asking your question, as it may have been answered already. And I haven't memorised every post, so asking what's in the thread won't help, as you're just as able to find out as anyone else...

You might try the Mosfet thread. Installing them in the AUG is no harder than in any other AEG, and a lot easier than many given the large amount of space around the gearbox in the AUG's stock.

The thread is 25 pages long, and I have tried the search function to no avail. I don't think I implied that you memorized every post, but imagined someone might recall such a guide, pretty fair given I am in the AUG thread. I did a search for aug in the mosfet thread also, no results. My only concern is that the semi/auto trigger of the aug may require a more unusual wiring loom, I'm not familiar with how they work.

My counter shows this is page 13, post 486. The forum search function isn't very helpful, especially with the AUG as it tends not to like search terms of only three characters. Annoying when many gun names are 3-characters long. AUG, MP5, M16, FAL, etc... <_<

But still, if you're looking for information, you need to at least skim through the entire thread before asking. The whole reason for this thread being here is so that people won't constantly be asking the same questions over and over...

Have you actually opened up your AUG and looked at the trigger contacts?

It's really quite simple - when depressed all the way, contacts on the back of the trigger engage with contacts on the gearbox front which allow the full-auto function.

My AUGs have Mosfets, they were fitted by Docv400 - you might try PMing him for more information if all else fails.

MOSFET installation on the AUG (and P90 for that matter) is essentially the same as for any other AEG.

The AUG (and P90) have an extra contact set-up for Auto, but you still have just the one trigger circuit to connect to.

I'll dig up a picture or two when I'm home, can't access my Photobucket account at work

I hadn't taken it apart that far yet, if its a standard mosfet thats fine and something I have done before, thanks.

I'm sticking on a carbine length barrel from evike, I saw in this thread I think mention that it has a different flash hider to the full length standard barrel, is this the case?

Last I checked, Evike have been out of stock of those barrels for at least 3 years. :unsure: But yes, it has the "birdcage" style flash excluder, rather than the original three-slot version. The tiny Para/Commando AUG has yet another design of flash excluder, as does the H-Bar light support weapon variant.

All of which is discussed at some length on the first page or two of this thread.

As promised...

P90FET2.jpg

P90 gearbox but the wiring is the same.

The two thicker red wires are the 'semi' contact leads, which is all you'd have on a 'conventional' gearbox.

The 'auto' contacts are the copper tabs that the four wires are connected to.

The two thinner red wires are the trigger circuit to the MOSFET, one connects the positive battery lead to one of the trigger contacts, the other is from the 'Gate' pin of the MOSFET to the contacts.

It doesn't matter which one goes to which contact.

Great, tell me, in this setup semi and auto both use the mosfet to transfer the main current? I have my gearbox open here and given the headache I have today, its beyond me to figure it out fully right now :D edit: I think it does now that I look at it without the headache, thanks!

I did manage to make my carbine barrel fit today by modifying an action silencer adaptor, just cutting it down by 1cm or so, nothing overly technical. The new airnozzle and spring are going in next, I also greased the whole charging handle assembly just to make it smoother, more of a perfectionist thing than anything. Matrix barrel and guarder hop also, I'm pretty excited about testing this thing out soon, just have to chrono and potentially snip my spring down a little.

Vorpalbunnie - Just buy a new hop unit. They come with the adjustment dials. While you're at it, get the all-metal PDC one.

MotoSam - Doc would be able to give better info than me, but I don't see why you need to open the gearbox to fit a Mosfet.

Doc - Do me a favour and write a "How to fit a Mosfet to your AUG" guide...?

MotoSam - Doc would be able to give better info than me, but I don't see why you need to open the gearbox to fit a Mosfet.

I have the gearbox open for the spring and air nozzle install, it is helpul to see how the semi/auto function of the aug works. Fitting the mosfet may not require opening the gearbox, but knowing how the gun functions to do it properly does.

As far as I can see, headacheless and fresh, the gun operates on semi by default with a standard v3 trigger, the secondary contacts directly activating the motor, bypassing the semi-auto cut off latch.

In this case the two connectors types can be used as mosfet triggers, with the mosfet being connected only to the motor/battery loop. My concern was that there were two complete circuits of wiring, but of course there aren't so it will be fine.

First thing to do is finish my fps and airseal upgrades, I can put off a mosfet until the current setup performs without a hiccup.

The rear sling loops are held on the inside with a C-clip. It's a bit fiddly, but possible to remove from inside the back of the stock. A screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers are all the tools you'll need. Simply pry the C-clip off the post (don't lose it) and the swivel post should pull out.

Hope that helps.

Archived