Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks overcomplicated and massively overpriced.

A good three-point is all the sling you'll ever need, the British Army issue one is surprisingly the best I've ever used, now comes in black or green and can be picked up from eBay for a few quid.

It did look to me like it was pretty overpriced for being two straps and some velcro.

I have looked at the SA80 slings, however is there a way to wear it over the right shoulder? I don't know if I could get used to wearing it over my left.

Was looking at this one actually: http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/sling/big-dragon-l85-rifle-sling-tan

You can wear it over any shoulder you like, it is designed for a weapon that can only be fired right handed but there is nothing to stop you switching the rear sling loop around, fitting a new front sling loop and wearing it lefty.

Unless you are talking about using it right handed but with the sling over the right shoulder?

In which case when pulled tight the sling will not sit on your chest with the barrel slightly up it will sit on your stomach with the barrel down.

When "open" and dropped the rifle will hang under your left arm instead of your right arm.

If you like it that way then fair play to you.

Cool, sounds like I found my new sling.

stuntman, I do prefer the gun to hang on my left (over the right shoulder) because I wear a drop leg holster on my right and I feel with the gun hanging on the right it will interfere with my pistol draw.

Thanks for the input fellas.

stuntman, I do prefer the gun to hang on my left (over the right shoulder) because I wear a drop leg holster on my right and I feel with the gun hanging on the right it will interfere with my pistol draw.

I've never had this problem - I have drop-leg holsters on both legs and my rifle never gets in the way.

Don't let it drop on the unclipped sling, it'll hang too low, take the extra second to clip the sling back together to shorten it and then move the rifle far around the shoulder so it hangs on your back, where it's out of the way.

On another note, if you can comfortably shoulder the rifle and bring it into the aim with the sling clipped, you've got it way too long. You should need to unclip to aim.

I see what you're getting at. I'm aiming for the smoothest fastest transition possible - basically the ability to just drop my primary and pull my secondary in one fluid motion. Especially while running up to a building, I don't want to have to fumble with a buckle to get my pistol out. I think I'll pick up one of these slings anyway and see what I can do to adjust it to suit my needs. It sounds like it will work out pretty well regardless.

Thanks for all the input on this. I'll keep y'all updated with how it works out for me.

In the heat of the moment, if your rifle jams or whatever and the enemies are on you, then just swinging the rifle on the long sling around to your back as your draw your pistol will work to keep the rifle out of the way while you engage with your sidearm, but it will be hanging too low so you'll need to sort it out as soon as you've dealt with the immediate threat or you'll be risking damage as it bashes on things.

As several people have said already, moving the rear sling loop to the other side is easy, they're only held on the inside of the stock by some C-clips. I've never tried using the rifle right-handed while slinging it as if for left-handed use, I'd be interested to see how you get on with it if you try to go that way. Some pics would be good.

Lastly, don't pay too much for a sling - you can probably get a similar style locally anyway, but a genuine-issue sling with a metal loop on it will serve you the best if you can get one (the newer ones have plastic loops) but a lot of eBay sellers charge rip-off prices for them and seriously overcharge on postage to the USA. If you're really struggling, then let me know and I'll try to "acquire" one for you from my Territorial Army unit... ;)

Good advice Hedge! I'm looking at a tan one from airsoft-club, should be about $11 shipped which I think is a good price. The issue ones only come in OD, right? (If they come in tan, I might take you up on your offer! ;) )

You're right about the pricing too... I thought $30 was a little high for a bit of nylon and some clasps.

Not exactly sure how I might go about slinging the rifle with the sling swivel on the right side of the gun, but I'll definitely give it a try to see if it solves my problem. :)

I don't use long guns for airsoft any more but I do like the idea of having the rifle drop to my left whe I let go, I would do it that way if I hadn't already been trained the other way.

The only thing to look out for if you drop it on the sling without buckling it is that if you subsequently kneel down you will get the muzzle in the mud, whichever shoulder it is on.

I have just taped I cut up piece of bungee cord to the front of my plate carrier and have a carabiner on the back of my MP9, if I drop it it hangs just below my ammo pouches.

^Sounds effective. I'm not super worried about dropping my barrel in the mud, since the only time I really need to go to my secondary is when I run into a building.

Can't wait for my sling to get here so I can try out different ways of wearing it!

No, you have to make them by sticking two normal ones together.

But hicaps are useless rattly horrible things anyway, so ditch them and go midcaps. 80 rounds per mag is more than enough - remember the real steel only carries 30 - and having to count your ammo a bit more carefully and make your shots count instead of just hosing BBs all over the place will really improve your enjoyment of the game.

Plus not carrying a maraca around all day makes it a lot easier to sneak up on people!

Oh yeah, forgot the 110 round ones. In fact, I might even have some of those. Not used the AUG in ages, though...

I've got a long midcap:

3270418854_39ea15f7e0_z.jpg

(Click for MUCH larger version)

It's the length of the real-steel 42-round 5.56mm magazine as used by the H-Bar. I don't actually remember how many BBs it holds, off the top of my head. I'd have to find it again to check. But it is possible. The downside is that the moulded numbers on the side still say 30 at the bottom.

You can get 110 round midcaps. They work great for me.

I've always wanted to make a long mag myself, but make it a midcap. Would be pretty hard I reckon.

You can even get 170 round midcaps from MAG.

I do have another question. Since I play CQB most of the time, I'm thinking about transforming my JG AUG A2 into a stubby one. I've been looking at adapters, but don't seem to find the new inner barrel length that corresponds with it. Anyone who can tell me which innerbarrel length I need with such an adapter? For example, with this one?

http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Barrel_Thread_Adapters_Action_Silencer_Adaptor_for_AUG_14mm_anti_clockwise.htm

No one ever reads the first page any more. Well, this *IS* page 28 according to my screen, so it's understandable, I guess...

And I think I actually have the MAG 170 round midcaps, not the 110 round ones. I'm not sure anymore and can't find them to check, but I'm thinking that I probably wouldn't have bought a whole second set of mags just to get an extra 30 BBs per mag.

Someone asked about the KA midcaps in the picture thread, thought I'd offer my input real quick.

They are relatively well-built. They feed a lot better than my regular TM locaps. I am only using 4 at the moment because the screw in the plate of the 5th popped out. So build quality overall isn't quite as good as TM's locaps.

Still, I think it's a great deal if you can get a case of 5 for $40-$50.

Those extra 30 rounds actually do make quite a difference. ;)

Also, I had a thought... has anyone tried buying a real-steel 42-round magazine and converting it to an airsoft midcap? Or are the compatibility issues too great?

Archived