Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

Swap the inner barrels and hop-up units between the two barrel and see if the fault follows the hop-up unit or stays with the barrel. If it follows the hop-up unit then replace it and possibly the inner barrel. If not, then you've eliminated the hop-up unit as the cause of the fault.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically it's only there for shimming the inner barrel, ok, I assumed that it had to be there to strengthen the outer barrel.

My other comment was about how easily the plastic outer barrel breaks. Out of three different uppers I have, my A2 version has a broken outer barrel and does not have the aluminum tube with it. What I would like to see if it was possible to have that plastic tube made in aluminum or some other metal, and not have to require the shimming of the inner barrel.   

The aluminium tube serves the dual purpose of shimming the inner barrel and strengthening the plastic tube, presumably. However, by trimming the aluminium tube you shouldn't significantly weaken the overall structure, and a short-term removal is merely experimental in determination of whether it is actually the cause of your hop-up unit problem.

Replacing the plastic outer barrel part with a machined aluminium one would be superior, but the cost of manufacturing the part would surely be prohibitive and it would add extra weight as well.

Hedganian, I had some time lastnight to look over all the parts I have gathered for this project. With the barrel in question, I noticed the metal outer barrel was pushed around by the inner barrel shim. In which makes me believe the inner barrel could be a tad larger than the original stock brass one. I hopefully will have some time this upcoming weekend to tinker around with the spare parts that just arrived. I read either some where on this forum or a different one, about how a few people where looking at using carbon fiber or aluminium arrow shafts as replacement inner barrels. I'm thinking maybe I could replace the shim with something like this as long as it modded properly. What are your thoughts?

It shouldn't be a problem as long as it physically fits into the available space. You don't want to shim the barrel inner too tightly as it can flex a bit in different temperatures and circumstances.

I'd be surprised if the inner barrel is larger than a stock one, but I suppose it's possible. You'd think that the dimensions are well known by all the manufacturers and they'd all stick to them, but even a fraction of a millimetre will make a big difference when you physically try to fit it in the space.

I just went through 20 pages and I am exhausted as I actually went to a game today and my eyes feel like there burning and I just can't read anymore so I am just going to ask... Do you know if that iban feed nipple will work on a JG AUG? the JG is basically an exact clone of the TM so I would assume so, but I'd like to be certain.

I just went through 20 pages and I am exhausted as I actually went to a game today and my eyes feel like there burning and I just can't read anymore so I am just going to ask... Do you know if that iban feed nipple will work on a JG AUG? the JG is basically an exact clone of the TM so I would assume so, but I'd like to be certain.

Do you mean an air-nozzle? The part that feeds the bbs into the hopup unit? 

I would get a Lonex polymer one. Polymer so that you can do some sanding if needed. I had to sand down my TM nozzle just a tad for it to feed better. 

It should work, I have an aftermarket steel feed nipple in mine. I don't believe it's that brand, though.

What brand do you think you used then? My current feed nipple works fine still, even though its gone through 500+ reloads and like 30000 rounds or so. I have no idea on the exact numbers but I have put it through a lot of use... I just want one of these for when it breaks.

Do you mean an air-nozzle? The part that feeds the bbs into the hopup unit? 

I would get a Lonex polymer one. Polymer so that you can do some sanding if needed. I had to sand down my TM nozzle just a tad for it to feed better. 

And no not the air nozzle. by air nozzle you mean the part that is actually on the gearbox right? I have no issues with that yet and don't want to replace it until it goes. I really just want to buy the odd ball parts that may discontinue by the time they break for me.

What brand do you think you used then? My current feed nipple works fine still, even though its gone through 500+ reloads and like 30000 rounds or so. I have no idea on the exact numbers but I have put it through a lot of use... I just want one of these for when it breaks.

And no not the air nozzle. by air nozzle you mean the part that is actually on the gearbox right? I have no issues with that yet and don't want to replace it until it goes. I really just want to buy the odd ball parts that may discontinue by the time they break for me.

I am fairly certain that I got the DeepFire one. Any one should fit in the JG, though.

If you are going to replace the air nozzle, I would suggest the Classic Army one if you can find it, it is a dark blue plastic. Of all that I tried, it gave the best nozzle to bucking seal in my JG AUGs. They have longer nozzles stock than the TM, so TM spec nozzle don't always give the best airseal. And I wouldn't recommend sanding the nozzle to fix feeding issues, I would add a sector chip to pull your nozzle back further/longer without compromising your airseal. 

Baddbaz, what magazines are you using? I have that same problem when using my King Arms midcaps but everything is fine when using the TM lowcap.

By the way, anyone knows any way to solve the problem of the BBs getting stuck in King Arms midcaps? I have noticed in my case they get stuck a few cm before the top of the mag maybe because the curvature of the well is too big.

Baddbaz, what magazines are you using? I have that same problem when using my King Arms midcaps but everything is fine when using the TM lowcap.

By the way, anyone knows any way to solve the problem of the BBs getting stuck in King Arms midcaps? I have noticed in my case they get stuck a few cm before the top of the mag maybe because the curvature of the well is too big.

Actually daniel it is funny you asked this, I was just having these issues with my KA mids at a game. I decided to put two drops of 10 weight silicone oil in to the mag on the follower, not one misfeed since, on any of the 10 that I have. so just lube the mag a bit and they work great. as for when they get stuck. I used a small flat head and jammed it in real fast then pulled it out. DO NOT USE A UNJAMMING ROD. since it is a flexible plastic if you aren't quick enough BB's can actually get stuck along side it and actually get the unjamming rod stuck in the mag.... I did it once.... that was fun... I had to cut the rod then use a small flat head and a pair of needle nose to get it out....

Oh and avoid taking the mag spring out at all cost. that little piece of plastic tab on the bottom that holds it in, yeah they like to break. on one of my mags it is now held on by electrical tape, it works fine still ,just looks funny.

I am fairly certain that I got the DeepFire one. Any one should fit in the JG, though.

If you are going to replace the air nozzle, I would suggest the Classic Army one if you can find it, it is a dark blue plastic. Of all that I tried, it gave the best nozzle to bucking seal in my JG AUGs. They have longer nozzles stock than the TM, so TM spec nozzle don't always give the best airseal. And I wouldn't recommend sanding the nozzle to fix feeding issues, I would add a sector chip to pull your nozzle back further/longer without compromising your airseal. 

could you send me a link to the deepfire one? I can't seem to locate it through google.

In my experience, there isn't much you can do for the King Arms AUG midcaps. I have tried Maek|'s mod for concave followers, custom 3D printed followers, cleaning, oiling...Oiling is at best a temporary fix and potentially compromises hop consistency. I think the BB channels in the KA mags are just too wide, so any BB's that are smallish or less slick (Bioval, Bioshot, Goldenball) get jammed up. The MAG mids or TM 80rds are vastly superior products for a broad range of ammo. Plus, you can disassemble the MAGs for cleaning and such.

could you send me a link to the deepfire one? I can't seem to locate it through google.

Deep Fire AUG feed nozzle should get you what you need.

In my experience, there isn't much you can do for the King Arms AUG midcaps. I have tried Maek|'s mod for concave followers, custom 3D printed followers, cleaning, oiling...Oiling is at best a temporary fix and potentially compromises hop consistency. I think the BB channels in the KA mags are just too wide, so any BB's that are smallish or less slick (Bioval, Bioshot, Goldenball) get jammed up. The MAG mids or TM 80rds are vastly superior products for a broad range of ammo. Plus, you can disassemble the MAGs for cleaning and such.

The deepfire ones seem to be out of stock, I will most likely end up with the iban then, but I will look a little more. thank you.

Been thinking of getting more mags. Haha glad to know the KA ones suck. Ill go grab a box set of Mag ones ;) 

I haven't had any issues with the KA midcaps.  Have worked perfectly for me, actually better than TM locaps.  The only problem I had was that the plug came out of the bottom of one of the mags.  Easily fixable with glue or tape, I just haven't got around to it since I already have 8 locaps.

I haven't had any issues with the KA midcaps.  Have worked perfectly for me, actually better than TM locaps.  The only problem I had was that the plug came out of the bottom of one of the mags.  Easily fixable with glue or tape, I just haven't got around to it since I already have 8 locaps.

What kind of ammo have you fed through them? I think that midcap feed problems tend to be a combination of mag and BB. My KA feed some things fine, but the MAGs feed everything but the bad batch of Goldenballs I got a couple of years ago. Those don't even feed cleanly through speedloaders.

I've only fed Javelin bio BBs through them, never had any misfeeding or double feeds.  I am also using a metal feed nozzle if that makes any difference.

I think I have a few Javelin bios kicking around, I will have to try them in those mags.

It isn't really a misfeed issue, they will completely jam to the point that you can't even hand dump them. You have to poke at them with chopsticks till they dump like 10 rounds at a time. Infuriating.

Archived