Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

@DamnLion - The reason the A3 CQC style AUGs that are out there now suck so bad is because they are adapting to the A1 receiver. I think it is not worth the effort, better to make an accurate version and let the people who care do the mods.

@Mike Obrien - The Turnigy Nano Airsoft Batteries at Hobby King that are similar in dimension to the small NiMH will all fit just fine. That is what I use in mine, both 7.4v and 11.1v. 

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DamnLion - The reason the A3 CQC style AUGs that are out there now suck so bad is because they are adapting to the A1 receiver. I think it is not worth the effort, better to make an accurate version and let the people who care do the mods.

@Mike Obrien - The Turnigy Nano Airsoft Batteries at Hobby King that are similar in dimension to the small NiMH will all fit just fine. That is what I use in mine, both 7.4v and 11.1v. 

The only AUG A3's I know of are the JG and TM HC, the former being entirely inaccurate - in this case, yes, that god awful rail system is bolted onto the regular receiver.

The TM High Cycle has the closest I've seen to the correct A3 upper, albeit quite short - this is the kind of upper I would like to create.

The JG is based on an old aftermarket conversion kit. 

It would be easiest to design for the HC, but you would still need the barrel/gas adjustment from one of the other AUGs. And there are many, many more A1/A2/A3s out there as a potential market.

Right now I am running a Prome 120 spring, stock jg gears and motor. Plan on moving up to prome double torque gears and a 130 spring. Not sure what motor, and this upgrade wont be for some time, so I was wondering what would be best for now. I was thinking a 7.4v lipo as I don't really need ROF as I mainly only use semi I primarily need longevity.

Right now I am running a Prome 120 spring, stock jg gears and motor. Plan on moving up to prome double torque gears and a 130 spring. Not sure what motor, and this upgrade wont be for some time, so I was wondering what would be best for now. I was thinking a 7.4v lipo as I don't really need ROF as I mainly only use semi I primarily need longevity.

I wouldn't bother with torque gears, just get a High Torque neo motor and you will be able to run a 130 no problem with those JG gears, better trigger response than high ratio gears as well. 

Lonex, JG Blue, ZCI,...any of those should be fine. If you are in the U.S. you should check out www.clandestineairsoft.com and www.brillarmory.com. It is pretty hard to beat those guys for price and service on upgrade parts.

The only AUG A3's I know of are the JG and TM HC, the former being entirely inaccurate - in this case, yes, that god awful rail system is bolted onto the regular receiver.

The TM High Cycle has the closest I've seen to the correct A3 upper, albeit quite short - this is the kind of upper I would like to create.

The TM High Cycle *IS* the correct A3 upper for the 9mm AUG A3 XS. And the correct barrel and foregrip assembly, and even the cocking handle too. The only thing TM didn't get right was using a 5.56mm AUG mag instead of the 9mm mag adaptor and the A1 style stock instead of the new A3 stock.

ALL Airsoft AUGs are A1 models. There are no accurate airsoft AUG A2s. The main exterior differences that would be applicable to airsoft between the A1 and A2 versions are the cocking handle shape and the upper receiver. The A1 has a one-piece receiver with a built-in scope OR a flat-top rail. The A2 has a two-piece system where the scope or rail are interchangeable on the same receiver.

The A3 is different again. Making an accurate A3 receiver shouldn't be too hard, especially if you have access to CAD software and a 3D printer. I don't know of anywhere to get the accurate specs and designs, though, short of either getting the designs from Steyr themselves (good luck with that) or getting a real steel AUG A3 and spending a lot of time with some micrometers... (All I've got are some pictures of the various different models, but there are no measurements on them so I don't know how much use they'd be)

I can definitely see a market for accurate A2 and A3 receivers, cocking handles and other parts though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone got any idea if MAG are still making the 170rd midcaps for the aug? I'm getting quite frustrated now with unreliable, rattly hicaps for it, and after the success my P90 has had with MAG magazine, I figured the aug equivalent might be worth a shot - but I can't seem to find them anywhere in the UK

I can't say whether or not they are in the UK still, as I am from the U.S. I do know though I can still get them here. Ever consider king arms mids? they work OK  to, just cant fill them completely or they jam up.

My best advice though, TM Small caps ^_^ I have like 15, none of them ever misfeed, it's awesome :D

Just looked at the page you linked to. Not sure what I think of it. The cocking handle isn't right, but it's close. I kinda like the rails, but they're not accurate to the real AUG A1, nor is that sort-of A2 style cocking handle.

In short, I'm not sure what they're trying to replicate with this. You could maybe use it as a starting point for the A3-SF, though, and that would be sweet.

Yeah I noticed the charging handle is a bit off... The rails are nice... but out of curiosity, what rails are there on an A1? I never knew A1's came with rails. As for the A3 SF, well aren't the rails integrated to the scope? Not sure how you would fabricate that. Except maybe some JB weld....

They are cloning the MSAR STG556, which is a U.S. made AUGalike. Notice the fluted barrel, charging handle, textured stock and rail placement. I wish they would just make the AUG A3 SA instead of these. The extra rail space isn't even in a useful location. I am, however, curious to take a look at their barrel assemblies to see if they are any better than the TM/JG/CA 3 piece wet noodle.

*edit* Nevermind, just saw the barrel assemblies sold on evike, same old 3 part garbage.

I don't see how any other outer barrel construction would work for the AUG. I've never had any problems with the barrel assembly.

Evike sell AUG barrels separately? Awesome.

Mike - the A1 doesn't come with any rails, except for the Special Receiver version, which replaced the integrated scope with a 20mm rail.

There are scores available with rails which are somewhat close to the A3-SF. It also has rails on the receiver.

Ah so what your saying is take the one they market as an A2 (which i've grown to call the A1SR, not sure if you would consider that accurate) put a scope with rails on it on that rail and you have a make shift a3sf?

Oh and this: http://www.evike.com/products/48628/

did not expect to find one of these for sale... might buy an extra one, always terrified my scope is going to get shot out. I know its a small opening, but my P90 RDS was shot out once... and that is even smaller... so yeah.

No. The A2 is completely different. It has the curved cocking handle, a two part receiver where you can swap from the scope to rail without removing the barrel or receiver from the stock, and other internal changes that don't affect the airsoft copy.

TM and the various clones are all A1s. What TM call the AUG Military is the standard A1 with built in scope. The flat railed version is the A1-SR (Special Receiver).

The A3 and A3-SF are very different again. To make an airsoft one would be very difficult indeed based on what is currently available. You'd be better off custom making the external parts using a 3D printer, the tough part would be getting the specs.

So where does the tm high cycle and shadow aug sit ?? Are they non models as such ??

When are the manufacturers retailers going to clock on to the model that would have the highest demand . The Stanag magged / reciever aug !!

It is soul destroying knowing you can order a receiver for them on the real steel site . But no manufacturer has tried to copy it ..

Would sell like hot cakes .

Archived