Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

Try lubricating the piston o rings and check nozzle for any hairline cracks , chipping ,

Have also seen cracked gearbox casings / bad quality springs cause similar issues

As already mentioned , a spring that has not been decompressed for longish periods could also cause this ..

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only shoot the rifle on semi, full auto is disabled, so to my knowledge the spring is as decompressed as it gets. I am using prome spring as well. Neither nozzle I have used has any apparent damage. the gearbox casing looks ok, no damage to it. I did actually swap my cylinder out to one I had laying around, it is ported though from a kwa cqr mod 2. FPS went from 300 to 330. I may have swapped the O-ring to accidentally, I don't know, they all look the same :P but yeah after that swap it did come up a bit.... ever hear of a cylinder wearing out?

• 1 month later...

I know I have brought this up before... but I never got a clear answer so here goes again... The rail that comes on the AUG civ versions, the grooves on the rail are to narrow to fit most optics, I have to grind them out to fit things like my eotech. Has anyone ever replaced the rail with a normal 20mm picatinny rail? I have been googling looking for a 8 inch rail to replace it with but I was hoping someone knows a good functioning product already.

Odd, that's the exact opposite of most reports I've heard - the rails on the TM AUG "Civilian" seem to be 21mm wide, so they're too wide, not too *narrow*. They also have annoying things underneath in certain places, so that scopes can't clamp onto certain places along the rail, which have to be filed off if you want the entire length of the rail to be usable.

I'm sure I've posted pics of this at some point in this thread...

Yes there are spots on the sides as well that protrude in such a way that will get in the way and limits where you can put things, so that is another issue. But I find as long as you place it in the right spot you can move around them, the issue is the grooves on the rail that go horizontally aren't wide enough to fit most pieces.... I can take pictures of what I did to remedy this and post them, it worked, but it is not pretty and so far I only did it to one spot.

• 2 weeks later...

oil006.jpg

That is the problem everyone talks about.

oil010.jpg

That is how I fixed it.

oil009.jpg

In this picture you can see the issue I had and the solution I used, took a dremel to the groove and opened it up a bit.

Having another issue though... Any of you ever have the trigger in the gearbox where out? like the plastic parts. I had the spring that pulls the contact piece back break a bit ago, replaced it. Since then the trigger makes a loud click when you pull it, and that contact piece is able to jump up a bit. Seems it has gotten to the point that when I pull the trigger the contact is able to move away, not giving the motor enough time to spin the gearbox and shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I do use a mosfet and the trigger contacts are OK... The spring being to strong was a possibility... but either way I just bought a whole new gearbox. The old one was 7 years old and from being taken apart and put together so much I managed to strip a second screw on it, so I decided time for a new shell, which will come with a new trigger to :D just have to wire in the mosfet, swap the gears, spring, etc..... Oh and the new shell has a QD spring ^_^

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So for awhile my AUG dmr was a a1 model and recently decided to switch to an a3-esque type set up so I could mount a better optic. Now with the ris style I have found that the ris just floats around the outer barrel so I was thinking... to further solidify the set up and remove vibrations/movement I wanted to stabilize the outer barrel with the RIS. Anyone ever tried this before?

Edit: hehe... so I started going back through the pages and found someone has done this before... AND I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO RESPOND :P..... though the part he used to stabilize the barrel is 3d printed and I do not have access to such a thing....

I did it by stabilizing the front end of the barrel to the ris. But the problem lies in the design of the AUG (floating hop up to a floating gearbox). In my tests, it doesn't add any significant improvement, but it is less wobbly when handling it.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Ah yes you are the one that I was referring to in my prior post. I see that post is on shapeway for around $13.... I may grab it just for a more solid way to stabilize it. As for the floating gearbox and barrel.... I tried to stabilize the barrel in the upper receiver but I found it didn't allow it to line up to the gearbox as nicely. The gearbox/barrel is pretty solid in the stock I find.... not much motion... but if you could dampen vibrations I feel like it would make a difference.

I tried sorbothane to reduce the sound and vibrations... I can't say if it helped vibrations at all but it did help quiet it.... I find the AUG rather noisy.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best way people have found to stabilize and reduce vibration in the barrel system? I tried one layer of ptfe tape on the inner barrel before inserting it into the outer barrel but when I attempted to insert it into the outer it bunched up and the barrel was stuck. I have tried HSA shim kit as well to no real avail.

when I tried to put the ptfe tape on the barrel it wouldn't even slide in... I guess I will have to try again... Masking tape towards the front though? the gap in the front section is larger... definitely worth a try. Also weird occurrence  figured I will just throw this in....

JG AUG 375 w/ .32g bb.... 509mm 6.03 prome barrel that has been lapped using HSA kit. My grouping was overall kind of terrible.

I swapped to a 509mm stock aug barrel (6.08 I believe), no lap just cleaned. My grouping greatly improved out to 200 feet+.....

My fps also went from 375... to 370? a 5 fps loss with .32g bb? to add to that I then used .28s and found I did 415 with the 6.03 barrel and 400 with the stock aug barrel.

I use scotch tape on the end of my inner barrel to stabilize it in the outer. It slides nicely without bunching as long as you cut it nice and clean, aka use scissors instead of the dispenser.

As far as the differences in the barrels go, it is really hard to say as there are a number of factors that can impact accuracy. What other variables are involved? Bucking, nub, etc... Are they Rhopped? Was the lapping done correctly? 

Barrels tested normal hop and flat hop using the same modify flat hop bucking, same hop up unit, and all parts involved, only thing that changed is the barrel. As for the lapping, I followed hunterseekers written instructions and video to the T. cleaned the barrel, did crown enhancer from 20 microns to .5 microns, cleaning it thoroughly between each step, then to the full barrel lap again 20 to .5 cleaning between each step again. Also used the crox solution after the crown and after the full barrel lap.

I also had the prome barrel R-hopped prior to the lapping, the grouping was poor hence why I lapped it. Which it improved but it is not as good as this 6.08 brass barrel so I'm at a bit of a loss as to the logic here.

Archived