Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best guess would be the window alignment on the hop up chamber. It could be the fittings are marginally better aligned with the stock barrel as opposed to the prome barrel. Might want to try different brand of hop up chamber, or try out "Mega Teflon Tape mod" (cant find the link now).

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

I have bought almost every available aftermarket hop unit for the aug... so far the stock ones just works the best. I actually cut a bucking so that I could see the window and it's exact alignment inside the hop up. The prome barrel window is square cut (easy r-hop install) were as the brass one is slanted cut (hard r-hop install)... So that could be making a difference, but why would that affect my grouping so drastically?

As for the mega Teflon tape mod... believe I have seen it over on airsoftsniperforum....

so after testing the prome barrel again.. I found I was able to get one layer of scotch tape around the barrel in the beginning section of the outer, so I put it at two points towards the front and back. the end of the outer barrel is a much larger, and tapered piece it seems. the grouping improved marginally but there were still more flyers then with the stock brass barrel.... also interesting thing I've noticed.... fps between the brass barrel and the prome barrel is the same... how is that possible? I thought it was different but I must of just remembered wrong.

Really hate how the edit buttons disappear here.... anyway, I am starting to think I have a very strange brass barrel here, maybe it is a 6.03? Because between the brass barrel and the prome barrels I have the same fps at 400 fps w/ .28g bb's, and 370 w/ .32g bb's.... Though the grouping is still much better with the brass.... The prome barrels are quite old about 5 or 6 years, but I doubt they would be "worn out" especially considering I lapped the one....

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/16161-crusherw9-s-guide-building-up-aug.html

Just thought I would leave this here as it is a good guide on tightening up the upper receiver/barrel assembly to improve overall accuracy.

This greatly helped my accuracy issue that I am speaking of in prior comments.

• 3 months later...

http://www.evike.com/products/60787/

Has anyone thought about trying to take this type of AUG and making the rail look more like this one? https://www.shootingillustrated.com/media/1536604/w7163si-3299clip1.jpg

Seems like all you'd have to do is slant the forward part of the rail... either cut it or make something that can attach to it.... Then get a barrel from a JG to lengthen it. Seems doable to me.... and would be the closest we'd have to a real aug a3 yet.

Only thing I don't like about the ASG AUG's is all the rails they come with.... not a fan of it.

The rail on the AUG A3 XS 9mm is shorter than the rail on the AUG A3 5.56mm.

The TM AUG High Cycle is a pretty accurate replica of the A3 XS without being branded as such.

How they can say it's a replica of a 9mm AUG and sell it with 5.56mm mags is beyond me, though.

• 2 months later...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17295__Turnigy_nano_tech_1800mah_2S_25_50C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

That is the battery I use in my aug. They also make it in 11.1 but due to the extra cell it is thicker. Make sure you modify the gearbox backing plate(essentially you just cut 2/3's of it off) to give yourself some more room.

• 2 weeks later...

Foregrip is complete and not broken.

Integrated sight has a good clear picture and has the adjustment turrets intact.

Cocking handle is complete and functional.

Gas plug is present and intact.

BB feed nozzle isn't damaged and it feeds well.

Ejection port rubber cover (normally on the left side) is present.

Front and rear sling swivels present and functional.

Rear battery compartment cover is present and inside battery compartment is all okay.

The normal stuff with any AEG - gearbox and motor work okay, fuse not blown, hop-up okay, inner barrel okay, etc.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know where to get a JG AUG CQC RIS and upper rail? For the longest time I have been using one I had purchased through evike (from their matrix line), and have always had an issue where certain optics would not fit well, especially ones that had a quick detach mount. Well I finally realized that the issue with certain fitments is for two reasons. One is the space between the rail and the upper receiver is to small for certain mounts to fit well, second is the rail was machined at an off angle. So I was hoping to find a new rail at the least if not a whole kit. I guess a JG AU3G parts gun could also suffice. Any ideas?

All of them are like that, including the TM civilian. I fixed it on mine by actually milling the top corner off of the receiver and RIS so optics could get a proper grip under.

I should have an A3 RIS set, but I am moving this weekend so I have other priorities fpr the next few days. PM me in a week or so and I should be able to dig through my things to see.

Well I know the A2 rail has the issue of space between the upper and the rail... but they aren't all machined at an off angle are they? Because the rail I have if you look down it long ways you can see that it is cut at an angle. I will take a picture if I have to to explain it better but because of this all optics sit on the rail at an angle tilting to the left generally, if they even go on.

• 8 months later...

So I have a fun little AUG project I have been working on, can't wait to share pictures when I'm done (probably another week or two due to weather/work).

Though to perfect this little project I need a 16" AUG barrel... except I can't for the life of me find one.

I know GHK makes one for their GBB AUG but I am working with a JG/TM and I doubt the outer barrel is the same(if it is please someone let me know).

APS who I believe OE's out of JG makes a 20, 17(why?), and 14 inch barrel, but I was really hoping for the 16. I'm even juggling the idea of taking one of my extra 20" outer's and trying to cut it down then JB weld the threads back on, may be what I end up doing unless anyone knows where I can find a TM compatible 16" AUG barrel? Thanks for any input.

No one seems to make the 16" barrel apart from GHK.

Is it really that critical? I used the 17" barrel for my 'carbine' barrel option - it uses a 455mm inner barrel. Who's going to notice that extra length?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3398/3451379962_c3681a3138_b.jpg

The only other option would be to find someone with a CNC machine/lathe/metal working shop and get them to make or modify an outer barrel to spec for you.

I can't find a guide online which takes the GHK outer barrel apart, so I can't figure out if the gas block and forward outer barrel sections would be interchangeable with their AEG equivalents. It would be too much to hope for that you could just take the outer barrel off a GHK kit and put it on an AEG or the other way around.

I'd love to get a GBBR AUG and have a play around with it. Since they sell the complete spare barrels, it might not be too hard to retrofit all my Project AUG barrel options onto GBBR barrels if the front ends were compatible and suitable inner barrels could be sourced. But I don't have the money to try it. Plus the sub-40 round capacity of the magazines is offputting - you can't simulate the effectiveness of a 5.56mm round with only one BB. If they can make gas magazines with something like 80-100 BB capacity, that would be more like it for me.

An easier option might be to get one of these: https://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/attachments/king-arms-silencer-adaptor-for-aug-14mm-ccw.html

And then put on whatever length of 14mm- outer barrel you need. They make all sorts of lengths for various AR-15 builds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived