Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My AUG has feed problems. What could be the cause?

Well, there are a few things it could be. Most likely, the plastic feed nozzle has been damaged. Replace it with the metal feed nozzle and you should see an improvement. If that doesn't fix it, check your hop-up unit for damage. I recommend replacing the stock plastic one with the all-metal PDC one. UN Company in Hong Kong are still carrying this part. If that doesn't do the trick, it could be a problem with your air nozzle. Try replacing it with a metal one, as the plastic ones can be damaged if you swap the barrel section a lot. If none of that fixes it, try changing the magazine you're using.

Best feed nozzle i've seen is the Zero-Ops nozzle. Other than that, theres the Iban and Deepfire which are more accessible.

About the feeding issues: I also have had problems with used and old aug bodies that do not fit very tight together (the front and back section) causing to rattle a bit and the hop up to move 2-3mm in use. Im not entirely sure that this causes any problems with feeding but i thought it would be good to ask before i order a load of new mags, nozzles and a metal hop up unit.

This irritating thing can be fixed though but I haven´t yet found a very pleasing to the eye solution. If you have any suggestions on getting it look better (than tape around, that is removed for stipping) and not rattle please let me know, and yes I do want it to be field strippable afterwards ;).

I don't think a 600mAh mini battery is enough, what other options do I have?

There is a range of options you can consider. Here are some:

1. Buy more. A lot more. It's like the hi-caps vs standard mags argument.

For: You don't need to do anything complex, just buy more batteries.

Against: Can get expensive. Takes ages to charge them all before a game, then you've got to carry them around with you. Your battery will always need changing at the worse possible time, etc, etc...

2. Use a large battery and battery sling.

For: Easy, cheap. Just replace the mini connector on the AUG with a large type one, cut a small hole in the rear of the AUG somewhere for the wires to poke out, and you're away.

Against: Looks cr*p. Exposes wiring to possible damage. Destroys seal of AUG stock, making possible water ingress more likely. May lower resale value of AUG.

3. Buy Custom batteries, such as these 8.4V 1500mAh ones from WGC. Only needs a tiny mod to the AUG, moving the fuse holder from inside the battery compartment to the interior of the stock with the gearbox.

For: From the outside, no-one can tell you've done it. Moving the fuse takes a minute and affects nothing, easily reversible. Can still use 600mAh batteries if you've got some lying around.

Against: The batteries are hard to source, and not all that cheap.

4. Look here for a way to make a large type battery fit inside the stock with the gearbox. Thanks to Blackice_r for the information.

For: Get a lot of battery power inside the AUG's body, out of the way.

Against: Needs quite a lot of work, modding both the AUG and the battery. Small replacement plate only holds the gearbox/motor assembly in one place, so may not be strong enough.

Me, I went with option 3. I have 4 of those custom batteries from WGC, which is enough to last me through the two days' play of a Fireball International Game, and then some. I also have a couple of 600mAh mini's kicking about, for my XM8, which obviously can serve as reserves for the AUG if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Heeeeelp!

Was playing a skirmish today and found my outer barrel had fallen off. It was lost but found again, but now I've no idea how to secure it on. It fits onto the main barrel fine, but isn't secure there and will no doubt fall off again.

Any ideas?

Here are the pieces I'm talking about.

urkyd3.jpg

Top is the bit that fell off.

But wait - there's more!

Before you put the offending barrel back on, look at the bottom of the bit that fits into the foregrip assembly. You should see a "lip" right at the end, with a circle carved into the bottom. This circle is caused by the grub screw when you tighten it up to hold the barrel in place.

What you might find, however, is that the circle has "elongated," carving a gouge out of the "lip." This can happen if the barrel is pulled off the rifle, rather than just falling off because the grub screw came loose. If that has happened, you're in a little bit of trouble.

All is not lost, however, as in most cases simply screwing the grub screw in tighter can suffice to restore things to proper working order. If not, then you'll need a replacement outer barrel. As it happens, I have a spare (or two, or several). If you need one, I'd be happy to send one to you for a small consideration. PM me if you need one.

Also, if you don't mind making things a little more permanent, then you can use some araldite or JB weld to glue the outer barrel back onto the foregrip assembly (along with securing it with a grub screw). I'd recommend you remove the inner barrel first in case you glue that in permanently too!

No need, get a pointy but not too sharp thing and stick it in one of the two notches in the cap at the bottom of the grip, lever it up.

It is attached to a spring, unhook it from the spring and then there will no longer be any tension on the pin that holds the grip on and it will slide out of the hole quite nicely.

Happy AUGing.

Has anyone had a problem with the lower body and upper body becoming loose for the TM aug?

I've considered gluing it together or shimming it. It's not a big issue yet but it can be again like my last TM aug.

I rarely dismantle it so that's not the issue.

Any ideas?

Found this gun at www.trinityairsoft.com

http://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-456-custom...irsoft-gun.aspx

I was wondering are the parts they use here high quality parts, and worth the extra money spent on it? (seeing as i don't really have any experiance in upgrading AEG's) and will the upgrades done on this gun reduce it's longevity? will i have to preform extra maintence on it or replace something on it often?

i was also thinking of buying a 9.4v battery and just have a battery bag on the stock for it, is there a limit to the mAh i can use for the battery?

some help with this would be apreciated, other suggestions or alternatives would be apreciated, i love the look of the AUG and would like something powerful and accurate for long range shooting in woodland type senerio's.

EDIT: I live in the US, and so this would apply for U.S. standards and such (unsure of UK rules and regulations)

Not really a question regarding the AUG, more the parts in that particular upgraded AEG. Since the site was kind enough to list the parts they put in the thing, a quick search should yield the answers you seek.

As for the battery - see above for battery questions answered. I wouldn't recommend an external battery when internal batteries are available. It spoils the look.

• 1 month later...

OK I give up I have just fitted a metal hop and tightbore to my AUG and now it miss feeds, double feeds and fires with about as much power as it would if I threw the BB :( I have taken it apart and put it back together about 5 - 6 times now and allways with the same end result. I don't want to strip it much more as I don't want to damage the hop rubber. Does anyone have any idea what I've likely done wrong? or at least have a good step by step picture guide for fitting a PDC metal hop?

For those that have put sound foam in their AUG. What foam do you use?

I'm using foam that's not adhesive and it's a pain to put in. The car style stuff i can find on ebay claims to be about 40mm thick so that doesn't seem to work either.

Also has anyone had trouble with overheating with foam in? I haven't had a problem with it yet, but with the 11.1v lipo the motor gets too hot to keep a finger on after extended use.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little tiny mod on the CA AUG I'm working on (long term project) regarding the feed nozzle plate assembly (or whatever it's called officially?).

Thought it was ridiculous to have to deform it so much to get it in (and out), so I made a couple of slots in the ribs that the back-plate rests on and took a little off the lower half of the nut housings.

It slips in and out easily now, I only have to deform the plate a tiny amount.

AUGinternal1.jpg

For those that have put sound foam in their AUG. What foam do you use?

I'm using foam that's not adhesive and it's a pain to put in. The car style stuff i can find on ebay claims to be about 40mm thick so that doesn't seem to work either.

Also has anyone had trouble with overheating with foam in? I haven't had a problem with it yet, but with the 11.1v lipo the motor gets too hot to keep a finger on after extended use.

Cheers

I use "dead mat" a generic version of Dynamat. It is an adheisive thick foil/tar mixuter. I out it all around the gearbox, and It works fine. Ill post pics if you want.

I use "dead mat" a generic version of Dynamat. It is an adheisive thick foil/tar mixuter. I out it all around the gearbox, and It works fine. Ill post pics if you want.

How thick is it? The car foam that i can find on ebay claims to be 40mm which sounds a bit thick!!

Archived