Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

So the SHS g36 nozzle isn't the same length... it is a bit short, but it is close and O-ringed. When I get my gearbox back together I will see how it is... it is maybe a mm off so if it is just a small gap I may be able to sand down my tappet plate. I also bought a Prometheus air nozzle (so far everything prome for me has been great, figured why not try it) it is only slightly taller then the shs and slightly shorter then the JG nozzle, and the O-ring is quite snug, so we will see how that one is if the SHS nozzle is no good.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bough the JG military version and no matter how I adjust the scope the pellets go nowhere near the crosshair. Anyone here know how you pull apart the scope so I can check if there is something wrong with it or is the JG one just bad?

Scratch that, the scope is completely busted. Anywhere I could buy a replacement or just a rail version of the upper?

Evike will sell just the upper. JG scopes seem to be hit and miss, mine was flawless. One thing most don't know is that the third nob on the scope has be loosened before you can make an adjustment or you break the scope. I got lucky with mine as I was looking through the scope while adjusting, and nothing was happening. Don't know my logic but something told me to loosen the nob up so I did and I saw the crosshair "jump" in the direction I adjusted it. So that is just future reference for you if you decide to buy the upper with the scope.

Scoped upper:
http://www.evike.com/products/48628/

Railed upper: http://www.evike.com/products/48888/

Looks like you will have to swap the charging handle bars, and you will need to buy the rail separate. Kind of dumb...

Oh and welcome to the AUG club :D

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the topic of nozzles: Found a damn good match for a JG AUG. Turns out one of my old prospects is great, with a little modifying. Sand down a millimeter or so from your tappet plate, and a JJ airsoft aluminum O-ringed air nozzle has really good compression. Went from a 12 fps or less variation to a 4 fps or less variation.

I also upgraded my spring and dropped in prome double torque gears..... 425 w/ .25s...... oh the fun :D Can't wait to range test it. Though due to this upgrade I have lost full auto... doesn't matter I never used it.

Guys I am not sure where to ask this... this is a more general question but I am posting it here as it pertains to my aug. Anyone ever have the issue of a gearbox turning so fast it causes misfeeds and erratic fps? I am using a battery off hobbyking, its a 11.1v 1800mah 25-50C lipo. Using that battery the gearbox spins so quick as soon as I pull the trigger the BB is leaving the barrel, barely any delay. It's awesome but when I shoot sometimes my fps will drop as low as 370 and go as high as 410. Moving over to my old 9.6 nimh battery the gearbox spins a lot slower (pulling a 135 prome spring) but the fps stays pretty solid between 400-410, and no misfeeds. anyone ever heard of this?

So what your saying is the piston is released and the piston traveling forward is faster then the tappet plate returning to it's forward position? OK I can see that causing FPS inconsistency, how would that cause misfeeds? Cause the nozzle isn't... "seating" the BB properly?

Sorry about my misunderstanding earlier, I was reversing the spring on the tappet plates purpose, I was thinking it pulled it back not forward for some reason.

Yes, the misfeeding would be exacerbated by the nozzle not returning fast enough.

You'll need to make sure your mags are also capable of feeding at the ROF you need. Generally most midcaps will be ok up to 40ish rps but hicaps might not be up to task.

The tappet plate shouldn't break unless it's made of plastic or the plate ha cracks in it already.

Standard ver 3 tappet plates will fit, Guarder is amazing, JG and CYMA ate also great and a bit cheaper.

As for reassembly, I use small neodymium magnets on the outside of the gearbox to hold the trigger and arl in place. Once it's back together, remove the magnets and you're golden.

so you place the magnets on the half of the mech box laying down then as you place the one over it they don't shift? *U*KING GENIUS! Now I am less terrified of opening my gearbox just with that. I will just have to find some magnets strong enough... now I just need a clever way to hold a 135 spring down... My current tappet plate and spring are the stock JG ones. haven't looked into an upgraded one.

I made a holding board out of 2 pieces of 18 mm MDF to hold the gearbox in place. It's more time consuming to make then the magnet because of the details. But if you cut out Every detail you can drill a hole and use a metal Rod thats an exact fit to slide in your spring guide. Just the trigger needs a little help tot stay in place. Its also a stable workplate

Anyone ever have an issue of there body or magwell wearing out? I now have to push up my mags to get them to feed well in my aug. The feed nipple looks OK. the mag can move up and down a decent amount so I was thinking somehow it wore out? I am using TM small caps by the way, so quality of the mags isn't really in question.

I've managed to wreck the plate that holds the gearbox in place on my TM AUG. Anyone an idea where I can find a replacement?

http://www.cop9gun.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1364

At the time of posting, they have one left! Best order quick!

Anyone ever have an issue of there body or magwell wearing out? I now have to push up my mags to get them to feed well in my aug. The feed nipple looks OK. the mag can move up and down a decent amount so I was thinking somehow it wore out? I am using TM small caps by the way, so quality of the mags isn't really in question.

I don't think you can really wear the magwell out.

It could be a problem with the feed nipple. It is held in place in a sort of plastic sandwich with a couple of screws. I have had that plate separate in my AUG before, allowing the nipple to not engage the mag properly. It could also be the alignment of the plate that houses the nipple.

I've managed to wreck the plate that holds the gearbox in place on my TM AUG. Anyone an idea where I can find a replacement?

It is fairly simple to make your own out of plastic or aluminum. The top section is the important part where it pushes the back of the gearbox and screws to the body. the rest of it can be ignored. This leaves a fairly simple shape with two holes drilled for the screws. 

So I swapped to the metal feeding nozzle, I see now that it is slightly longer then the old plastic ones. They seem to cut into the mag, makes a perfect fit eventually. Does anything know an efficient way to break the mags into the nozzle other then putting the mag in 1000 times? I tried to dremel the holder in the mag a bit and so far I have butchered two of them, going to have to open the mag and put one out of the jg high caps I have.

Archived