• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, given that we get reports of FAR fewer scammers now and we don't get people signing up to sell fake rolexes and stolen mobile phones, that'd mean you're mistaken. :)

You really mock my point rather than addressing it. Here's another example to try to clarify it for you.

JoshB has 48 posts. Tell me about how reliable he is and whether or not he would try to scam me...

romulus, i know we've done business in the past and you've always been a standup guy, however, in this case you only really have seen one side of the situation. and unfortunately, for every one member under 100 posts that has been a great seller/trader/etc, we could show you 2+ scammers.

we never have said that a higher post count equals a smarter/more trustworthy/better member. and it falls on the buyer to take necessary steps to protect himself, however, there is something the forum can do to try and help and we need to. most scammers join up 3-4+ sites and post just their sale and leave never to be seen again. Most (not all, but most) will be detered from here after finding out that they would have to spend a week or more posting before they could actually sell something here, because its not really worth the effort.

again, this wont solve ALL the problems, but it will solve enough that it makes doing this very worth it.

Well I’m one of those who have been affected by the rule. Regardless on how you feel about it (and yes I think it sucks to) there is nothing you can do about it. Armies Forums is one of the world’s most popular airsoft forums out there. As such I think the mods have every right to protect the forums as they see fit for the betterment of this community. I would also like to remind some of you that the majority of us are just guests and should respect the new rule. It is not your God-given-right to have access to these forums…it is a privilege to be given access.

Yes it sucks for all of us in that “not enough post” status….but what are you going to do about it? All you can do is participate in this community by posting from time. Yes, as some of you have already stated, “I’ve done great things for the Airsoft community as a whole.” The bottom line is that the mods want you to contribute to this community. All they’re asking is that you post X –amount of times and you’ll get access back into the buy and sale ads. The rest is up to you.

BTW…my post count has just gone up one more baby! LOL

Thank you taking the time to write a in depth response crackisbad. All your points were well taken.

we never have said that a higher post count equals a smarter/more trustworthy/better member. and it falls on the buyer to take necessary steps to protect himself, however, there is something the forum can do to try and help and we need to.

The above is very true and I have understood it from the beginning. The fear that I was trying to voice earlier was that people wouldn't understand that they still needed to do the italicized part. I can see how this is a good way to limit scammers but I just don't want to see people think that people with over 100 posts should be worthy of trust based on that fact alone.

After thinking about this a bit more I was wondering if it might be a good idea to restrict sales forum access even further by using a minimum membership length (say a month or two) as another qualification? It seems like this would a) keep scammers away since they wouldn't want to wait a month and B) help to keep people from trying to spam their to 100 posts since they have to wait a certain time period. Just a thought for the future.

Anywho, thanks to those how have participated in a dialog, I appreciate your time.

After thinking about this a bit more I was wondering if it might be a good idea to restrict sales forum access even further by using a minimum membership length (say a month or two) as another qualification? It seems like this would a) keep scammers away since they wouldn't want to wait a month and B) help to keep people from trying to spam their to 100 posts since they have to wait a certain time period. Just a thought for the future.

It might work, in addition to a post barrier but imagine how much people would moan if they had to score 100 posts AND wait a fortnight (or whatever) to use the forums?

The 100 post thing isn't ideal but it undeniably DOES do the job it was devised for.

When it was set up for the UK forums there was a lot of moaning for a few days but, after that, we genuinely haven't had a single "how do I access the sales forums?" question asked.

The people who are currently annoyed by this situation will get their post counts up in the next week or so and, after that, it'll do the job it's supposed to do in a totally transparent way.

Or, to put it another way, would you rather go through the inconvenience of making 100 posts on an internet forum full of people with the same hobby as you or would you rather the inconvenience of losing several hundred dollars in a bad deal or being arrested for receiving stolen goods?

well, yes and no.

SOME members have chosen to go the route of spam (ex: one or two word comments that dont contribute at all in 30 different threads in one day), they have chosen poorly. for members that do spam (and it is very easy to see) they will receive suspensions and, depending on the severity, a change in their post count. and i dont mean back to 0, we're talking negatives ;) so just dont do it. its only a hundred posts people, that would be relatively easy to do in a week or a little over a week with posts that actually contribute to the forums.

Ok well all bitching and arguing aside. What is the deal here i have pm'd about regaining access and got nothing not even a respone. i publicly posted asking for it here and have yet to get a respone. So other than enforcing said rule what are the mods and such doing here. i mean i did wehat you ask and did not get so much as a no or a go away or anything.............,....

Josh

Josh, only admin (aka Marlowe and Arnie) have the power to grant you your wish. you name has been brought up in by one of the staff so it is being looked at. as you can imagine, doing this is not the only thing that they have to do and you arent the only one that has requested. if romulus will vouch for you (or anyone else you have done business with HERE) then that'll get you through faster. we are not going to give access to anyone who asks, that would defeat the purpose. only to members that have dealt with members here before the switch and have been reputable traders.

edit: what pablo said.

Hey guys thats great. Its just that i had not gotten any response at all and that wa my problem. I dont mind waiting or even getting some vouches for you. its just that when no one answers you you think your bieng ignored...

Oh almost forgot. as far as vouches go. i dont remebr the peoples names. if i could get back into my old sales threads or general deals threads so i cant list them for you. i know there were enough tho. if you just look at my history in the sales area you will see....

Josh

Edited by JoshB

You mean when no-one answers via pm rather than direct and out in public via the forum itself? See, there's a heck of a lot more to this forum than the pm system you know!

Try it out, you might like it. :D

Sorry just have to state that the beginning of this topic clearly points out to the fact no one read sticky. Read stickies, they explain a lot. Seriously I think the post count is a bit much and may just lead to a lot of spamming or single word post. I can see where the admins are coming from and I can see how this method can be used to avoid scams. Just work to a hundred post and then forget it if you are only here for the sell/trade subforums. Add to the content of the forum (i.e. this post) by post up opinions and ideas and comments. My $.02 is done.

Well maybe i missread but i didnt see anyone giving me a response in this thread. i didnt see anyone saying Josh we got your request and will let you know what we decide when we review the situation. whar i did see was alot of general replies to general question by alot of people. so forgive me if i missed it.

the 100 post minimum, is gonna kill me and take sometime to make. most my posts were in the sales area where i purchased and sold items quite often. i tend to post on other airsoft sites, but i feel as though im not as knowlegdable as most on here, so i leave things to those who know more to me. i dont like having to post things that are useful