You Opinion on AEG Snipers

Big Texas

Basically, I've been using a Maruzen APS-2 for about a year now. Love it. However, I've aquired an M14 and turned it into an M21, scope, bipod, silencer, 6.01 inner barrel, 400fps (really iffy about going up to the 450 and higher mark, not sure if it is worth the wear and tear on the internals)... the works. Now, my question to you is this. Do you think that AEG sniper rifles in airsoft are awesome, lame, pointless, unrealistic...? Basically just toss out your thoughts.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to use my M21 in an actual skirmish, but I am easily plinking things at 60yards (80 is the norm with my APS2). And yet I think that those 20yards I lose it worth the rate of fire, coupled with the accuracy that I have. Since most of my shots are taken from the 50-60 yard mark with my bolt action, I think I'm going to be having some hard choices when it comes down to which one to use!

Anywho, just my thoughts from someone who owns both types of airsoft sniper rifles.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the UK it is illegal to have a full-auto capable rifle that fires at above 330fps with 0.2s, so no-one uses them.

Electric semi-auto rifles like the PSG1 are around, and go upto 500fps; plus it's always possible to mod an AEG to single-shot only and then upgrade it.

Most people tend to use gas or spring bolt actions to avoid the trigger delay you get with an AEG-style system, where pressing the trigger compresses and releases the spring.

In the UK it is illegal to have a full-auto capable rifle that fires at above 330fps with 0.2s, so no-one uses them.

Sorry but that's not true, the limit is 381-382fps and then the law is still very grey in this area. And while no one knows if anyone has been prosecuted for having a full auto airsoft gun firing above 381fps you don't want to be the first :P

There are a lot of sites in the UK that have 350fps limits. It's the skirmish sites themselves that invoke the limit and will ultimately decide if AEG snipers are allowed and what their limits are. Most sites that allow them require them to be permanently Full Auto disabled.

Best way to overcome the trigger lag, MOSFET and huge voltage battery :)

pros + cons of AEG sniping have been discussed many a time before:

here is one example:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=131048

I could probably find others too...

Great, I looked through 4 pages and stopped looking. Now do you have an opinion or do you just want to link me to some idiot wanting to snipe on a budget? Or that he was flamed because AEG's are loud? (Have you heard a Marui M14 with a foam filled silencer from 50 yards away? I doubt it. It's silent at that range

Hedganian, I've modded it to semi-only. And I'm considering a nice upgraded motor and mosfet to help decrease that delay that occurs.

Perhaps y'all don't understand what I was asking in my thread. Not if they were possible or common, but rather your personal opinion on one, and the reason for your opinion, and not a flame fest.

i have often thought why dont i get an M14 and make an semi-auto sniper,

i really like the idea, has a lot of advantages, but also a lot of disadvantages over a boltie.

i prefer bolt actions as they are silent, have extra power and range and if anything goes wrong its normally and easy job to fix.

i am not a fan of aegs, but i do like the idea of have a semi auto sniper rifle.

That's because li-pos tend to have a higher discharge rate, the overall effect is the same. Bit like a 8.4v large ni-mh gives the roughly the same ROF as a mini 9.6v ni-mh (rough example) :)

I like AEG snipers but then I'm biased, I have an AUG sniper :) I'm really temped by making an M21 out of an M14. I think they're good but they need their limitations, at our site we've limited them to 450fps while allowed the bolt actions to be 500fps.

That's because li-pos tend to have a higher discharge rate, the overall effect is the same. Bit like a 8.4v large ni-mh gives the roughly the same ROF as a mini 9.6v ni-mh (rough example) :)

I like AEG snipers but then I'm biased, I have an AUG sniper :) I'm really temped by making an M21 out of an M14. I think they're good but they need their limitations, at our site we've limited them to 450fps while allowed the bolt actions to be 500fps.

There must be a range limit to that though?

I have always done Urban Airsofting, but I'm looking at doing Woodland and the rules there are 500fps with a bolt action but at no less then 30 metres, and it has to be proved to the marshals that you can judge this distance.

As with anything to do with Airsoft, you get what you pay for. If you buy something from a "budget" range, don't expect it to be amazing.

Another negative thing about AEG sniper rifles is that, depending on how realistic you want to be, you end up with a HUGE rifle.

I guess there's nothing stopping me tuning up my P90, shoving a longer barrel in it and dropping a huge scope on top but, I dunno, that is a step too far in the wrong direction for me.

So, for the sake of realism, you're probably going to end up building your sniper rifle out of a G3, M16, M14 etc. One of the bigger AEGs, anyway.

I built a monster G3 MSG90 and it was truly a beast. I built it just to prove it could be done.

After I finished it I wondered why I really bothered. :(

You end up with a massive, heavy gun. The 2 best examples of this would probably be the G3 and the L86.

If realism was no object to you then a terrific AEG DMR would be easy to build.

If you want to keep things realistic then the M14 is probably about the sleekest, lightest platform you'll find... which says a lot.

Avoiding the technical aspect of the discussion I will just say that after sniping with an AEG I would always pick my bolt action over it, its more reliable in every sense, Its simple and it just works.

I would just say that having yourself limited to 1 shot (bolt action) is what makes you play to your best. If you are limited to same velocity as AEG, then is the hardest most challenging game you can have vs AEG high caps.

If you play limited to 1 shot, your skills slowly improve to their full potential. You have to exploit skills that other players replace with firepower. Eventually it will pay off if you are dedicated and you will be a far better player for it.

AEG semi autos are good but you need very good self control to limit your firing. The TM M14 is a very quiet AEG and has excellent hop up (accurate and long ranged). It is more cumbersome than smaller AEG systems but we feel that is a good equaliser.

I dislike the larger G3 and M16 "sniper rifles" as I am not the tallest guy and I find these guns way too encumbering (like Stealthbomber said).

Much depends on your site and styles of game, as to what you should consider using, but I do recommend bolt action for woodland games.

Good Hunting ;)

Great, I looked through 4 pages and stopped looking. Now do you have an opinion or do you just want to link me to some idiot wanting to snipe on a budget? Or that he was flamed because AEG's are loud? (Have you heard a Marui M14 with a foam filled silencer from 50 yards away? I doubt it. It's silent at that range

Great attitude to have, I said just one example. And just stated it has been discussed before.

And yes I do have an opinion, but see no reason to share with someone who takes that stance.

Enjoy!

Do you think that AEG sniper rifles in airsoft are awesome, lame, pointless, unrealistic...? Basically just toss out your thoughts.

I sold my fully tricked out 500+ fps TM M14 as soon as I tested my VSR.

Except for the ROF, the bolt action is simply better in every aspect.

I dont know where to sit on this one. I put bolt action rifles into the more "sniper role" and semi auto aeg's into the Designated Marksman role. It just fits better that way. I guess you could just flat out argue that there is no such thing as a sniper in airsoft (because of ranges involved, peoples patience etc) but there are places for both types of people. At the end of the day I never noticed a difference between my CA M14 upgraded to 550fps or my Warrior1 shooting 475fps. I guess semi auto gives me the oportunity to put more rounds down range but I dont exactly unload on people either. Usually 1 shot, if I miss, I lay quiet let them come closer, second shot. etc.

Perhaps it's because I have an APS-2 and I find the PDI Hop Up to be rather touchy. Which in turn makes the consistency we all speak of, well, not really consistent. It seems before each match I have to fine tune it or it will just shoot whichever which way it pleases, something that is fairly annoying if I might say so. Granted once I dial it in... it's simply phenominal, but if at any point during a match the hop up seems to alter itself... it pretty much comes down to getting lucky the way it starts shooting.

I am tempted to try the VSR after hearing the differences in accuracy and consistency that it gets. Perhaps that will bring more of a desire back for the bolt action.

I also do not play a "sniper" role in the least. I have a ghillie, I use it for increased stealth, but I assault pretty hard and have learned that as nice as stealth is, whizzing bb's past the heads of a few people at 500+ FPS is a tactic that can really assist in the taking of a controlled point.

I suppose I see instances in which each is a better choice than the other, so why not own both eh?

End of the day, it's hard to get close to a well fettled vsr.

Aeg's will get ok & possibly similar to your aps.

Stealth points out the obvious fact that basing an aeg sniper on a bullppup is a good idea & I agree. My last (after many) attempt at an electro-snipe, was based on a P90, & is fairly good, as aegs go. Obviously it doesn't have the look of a sniper, but as softers go, it's pretty good..................... But not a patch on either of my vsr's.

In a way, the p2000 & star L85, are almost 'snipers out of the box', having higher than average fps & relatively long (not that I believe in the longer the better theory) 'bullpuped barrels'. I'm not sure about the hop systems on these though, or the reliability.

At the end of the day any aeg with a reliable hop unit & suitable fps are a good candidate to 'snipe up'. Just plop in a decent barrel & hop rubber, ad some quality ammo & off you go.

Still not a vsr :rolleyes: .

Greg.

PS, Perhaps the mods would consider pinning a elec-vs-ba post, 'cos this one gets done every other week.

I've just bought an M14 so that I can try out sniping with an AEG. However, at the moment it's only firing at 310fps and I'll be using 0.25g BB's for the increased accuracy.

Ok, so the engagement ranges are going to be identical to other AEG users with increased firepower, but the purpose of the exercise is to increase my field craft. Hopefully I can use some of the skills I've learnt over the last 8 months while sniping to good use :)

I'm also asking my site leader though if I can bump up the fps if I wanted to. Although I'll only do that if I feel the need to!

• 2 weeks later...

i have a TM M14 that i am going to be using as kind of a DM kit. its competely stock but the thing about it is that its got a Tanio Koba Twist Barrel in it so i get phenomanal range at stock power. ive tested it and its great. but i do feel a foam filled silencer and possibly a ghille suit/part that goes on gun is a must. at the min its the personal feeling of AEG vs Bolt/Gas in my opinion

what has feeling the same got to do with it. anyway you try and spin this, the bolt action rifles can be tuned to be more consistant and have more range. AEGs can get decent range and consistancy compared to other AEGs, but those standards are much lower than the bolt action sniper rifles.

L4byr1nth - how fast is your AICS shooting. I am at this exact moment between the do - either go for a good semi auto sniper rifle based on a ICS M4 or go for the bolt action - either G-spec which is most likely or then the Tanaka Gas bolt action sniper rifles.

IMHO I think that you can get a SA AEG sniper shooting up to 500fps just about the same accuracy and effective range then you can get a BA rifle. Though the BA rifle can be upgrade to 600+FPS.

Bjorn

Archived