You Opinion on AEG Snipers

Big Texas

IMHO I think that you can get a SA AEG sniper shooting up to 500fps just about the same accuracy and effective range then you can get a BA rifle. Though the BA rifle can be upgrade to 600+FPS.

Bjorn

in my opinion you wont have the consistency a bolt-action rifle offers, under ANY circumstances

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a vsr g-spec and it's by far the most accurate rifle in airsoft, I've also purchased a tanaka m700 a.i.c.s but in stock form is far from the vsr performance. I'm going to upgrade it with the pax hop up and the vsr inner barrel to see if it improves. I have just bought a m14 scout just with a precision barrel to use it as a aeg sniper for close combat enviroments because the place where I play at present is very lush but I know that I will miss the accuracy and quietness of my beloved vsr

QFT

now can we all please stop pretending that AEGs can be as consistant as bolt action rifles please. its getting boring.

Except with some attention to detail they can also be just as consistent. I dont see what makes a bolt action MORE consistent?

Lets compare the compression parts of a spring BA to that of an AEG.

Piston Head

Cylinder Head

Air Nozzle

Hop Up Unit

Barrel

Yup, ok they are the same so this leaves one last thing that provides inconsistency in an AEG. The Tappet plate. WHOOPS Active Breaking MOSFET, takes 15 minutes to install and a minor know how of soldering and bam you have a tappet plate that is full battery during every shot and a gear train that stops with the piston at full battery after each shot.

I guess then that means that since a BA has fewer moving parts it will be more consistent. Thats not necessarily true, as I stated above the few things that affect consistency in an AEG just take time to work out. Yes, I suppose that is more than 99% of people are willing to do but I could take my M14 and get +/- 2 FPS on each shot if I wanted to but the fact that I ALREADY have a gun that is consistent to +/- 4 FPS is plenty consistent for me... So now I ask, why is a BA more consistent than an AEG? Because people believe it is but have never tried to compare the two?

For those who want a SA "Sniper" rifle then all you need to do is Make sure you have shimmed the gun properly, high quality parts, good compression, and an Active Breaking MOSFET and you should be set to get within that +/- 6 and lower range. It is just a matter of taking the time to do it. I see Consistency in the same way I see High ROF and high FPS set ups in AEG's, it just takes time money and effort to get to work but it CAN BE DONE.

If I really wanted to throw more gasoline into the fire I would like to say that sniping in airsoft is a joke because of the ranges involved however I feel that the "Sniper" has it's place in airsoft because people want to try and fullfill the one shot one kill dream despite the major problems that airsoft has when it comes to long range accurate shooting. Then of course you bring up concealment and that glorious Ghillie suit that people buy and you realize that a Ghillie is only effective at long ranges, ranges that airsoft guns couldnt possibly hope to accomplish safely. So why all the fuss??

I guess it's not worth pointing out the problems with sniping airsoft because it will probably fall on deaf ears anyways (or blind eyes if you will :D) I respect those who like to get into their role in airsoft but really arguing about the apparent inconsistency of an AEG is a joke especially when technology allows us to achieve that same consistency that BA's once had.

For those who want a SA "Sniper" rifle then all you need to do is Make sure you have shimmed the gun properly, high quality parts, good compression, and an Active Breaking MOSFET.

And a decent hop design (EDIT: read: "advanced hop design"), which seemingly only VSRs and various tm gas pistols have, not AEGs.

You seem to only be taking into account variation of fps, failing to consider variation of hop application and therefore consistency in terms of accuracy.

you realize that a Ghillie is only effective at long ranges, ranges that airsoft guns couldnt possibly hope to accomplish safely. So why all the fuss??

So I guess the guy who stood right next to me and all the other players who have walked right past me (EDIT: and not seen me) are just blind? Better throw my ghillie away then because according to you I shouldn't need it. Honestly, you dont half talk some nonsense.

I guess it's not worth pointing out the problems with sniping airsoft because it will probably fall on deaf ears anyways (or blind eyes if you will :D) I respect those who like to get into their role in airsoft but really arguing about the apparent inconsistency of an AEG is a joke especially when technology allows us to achieve that same consistency that BA's once had.

Yes, "once had" being the key phrase, however, technology has also advanced the performance of the bolt actions over aegs. I'm talking about the VSR range here mainly.

Im going the AEG sniper route (m14 coverted to m21) for the basic reason that my local site doesnt allow anything above 350fps.

I had a type 96 and at that power level i just didnt feel the accuracy gain (it was alot more accurate than an AEG) was worth the

ROF trade off. I do feel that ghillie suits are usefull at lower ranges perhaps even more so.

And a decent hop design (EDIT: read: "advanced hop design"), which seemingly only VSRs and various tm gas pistols have, not AEGs.

You seem to only be taking into account variation of fps, failing to consider variation of hop application and therefore consistency in terms of accuracy.

So I guess the guy who stood right next to me and all the other players who have walked right past me (EDIT: and not seen me) are just blind? Better throw my ghillie away then because according to you I shouldn't need it. Honestly, you dont half talk some nonsense.

Yes, "once had" being the key phrase, however, technology has also advanced the performance of the bolt actions over aegs. I'm talking about the VSR range here mainly.

The Hop up units are very similiar, the concept the same. Provided you use high quality parts you WILL get the consistent hop up application. Several AEG's have very very good hop up units that compare to a BA equivilant. The only advantage I can forsee of a BA's hop up unit is the ability to have a much larger mass alowing for I guess easier adjustment. Comparing the AUG hop up unit in my CA M14 and the Maruzen Type 96 hop up unit I fail to see why the Type96 hop up unit is much better than my CA M14's AUG hop up unit. I get the same range out of two guns shooting two different FPS's using the same BB. A good hop up rubber for an AEG and an H Hop up will do the same thing as the VSR hop up provided it is used with a decent hop up chamber. Trying to turn an M16 into a sniper rifle is rediculous, taking something like a TM M14 or a G&G/CA M14 and turning it into an AEG "Sniper" is totaly applicable and both are very stable designs.

If you are trained in looking for human shaped objects a ghillie will do very little in concealing you at close ranges. Yeah he may have not seen you but he may also not have been paying attentions to his surroundings and realized his location. Of course it also helps that you probably have very good field craft skills which HELPS but does not make you invisible. You are right, to me you DONT need a ghillie, I've had guys walk over me wearing MARPAT in a patch of short grass. It's not that hard to conceal yourself it is mearly a tool, of which is not as effective as people claim it to be or for that fact video games claim it to be (COD4 Anyone?).

So explain to me what the VSR has over an AEG? It has a consistent hop up, but so does a well tuned AEG. Other than that I see the same principle as an AEG just with different methods of compressing a spring and releasing it.

Even if BA's are more accurate you are talking about 1 round. I can sit in a properly made blind and get off 4 or 5 shots off on a group of people in the time you can get off 2. Provided player skill is accounted for that is 4 or 5 kills to your two. I'd also like to point out that in a good number of cases inaccuracy IS accuracy as you have a better chance of hitting someone. I'm a Bolt Action user AND an AEG user but by no stretch of the imagination will I claim that a BA offers anything over an AEG that is properly tuned. The advantages of the apparent long range you get out of a BA (and I say apparent because I've hit the end of flat and level bb trajectory with both an AEG and a Bolt Action and both will hit a man sized target 9 out of 10 times in ideal conditions.)

I'm not trying to say people who use bolties are getting shorthanded I'm saying that I fail to see how a BA rifle offers anything over a properly tuned AEG. Each has it's place in peoples Minds. I own both, I only use the L96 as a backup for when other guns fail because I know it's disadvantages to that of an AEG.

I'm just some crazy US idiot armed with an accurized AEG that apparently weilds a very ineffective platform when it comes to accurate shooting........................................................................

Hey Greg!! How's it going? Yeah, my rifle works, was just using the wrong gas lol!!

bjorn: My Tanaka, out of the box, fires from around 450 fps to well over the forum limits using winter green gas. It is the older style A.I.C.S., with the non-restricted P.C.S.

I would recommend a boltie if you want to play a true sniper role... Upgraded AEG's always tend to lean towards the D.M. route...

This is easier if you want to be more flexible, in regards to your style of play, but for the sniper experience, I personally would recommend a Tanaka to anyone.

Also, with the new HOP conversion kits, you can have all the advantages of the Tanaka (superior quality of the rifle's finish, powerful gas system, realistic weight and feel), with the addition of the reliable and consistent VSR HOP system.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

If you are trained in looking for human shaped objects a ghillie will do very little in concealing you at close ranges. Yeah he may have not seen you but he may also not have been paying attentions to his surroundings and realized his location. Of course it also helps that you probably have very good field craft skills which HELPS but does not make you invisible. You are right, to me you DONT need a ghillie, I've had guys walk over me wearing MARPAT in a patch of short grass. It's not that hard to conceal yourself it is mearly a tool, of which is not as effective as people claim it to be or for that fact video games claim it to be (COD4 Anyone?).

I do believe you are generalizing my friend. No one ever said that ghillies are needed, those people who say they are absolutely necessary are most likely not very well informed or experienced. Ghillies ARE tools that ARE effective in concealment. But by no means are they necessary for sniping. Quite a few times, I've managed to get by in straight OD and covered by leaves/foliage. Had I had a ghillie, I would've been even better concealed. I've been out at games where people are looking for me, only me, and I've got about a minute to find a spot to hide and pick them off. At least half of the times, if I had had a ghillie, I wouldn't have been spotted at all. You also seem to have this conception that whenever we "snipers" hide, that we just lie down and hope it works. I know when I "snipe", I always try to adapt a natural position, like a bush.

One final thing to be said, you seem to be able pick out anything that vaguely resembles a human shape. When you play, are you just constantly looking for snipers? Are you always casually walking, or never running? Because if you are in a position where the sh*t has hit the fan, and you need to get out of wherever you are, I can bet you a million bucks you won't have the time or the inclination to investigate that little bush that didn't seem to be there a minute ago. Its at times like that when ghillies are most effective. No one has ever claimed to make you literally make you invisible, but to help blend. If anyone has claimed that ghillies are magical tools that make you vanish, then they are sadly mistaken.

And to address that COD4 statement, that would most likely play out like it actually did; if you are referring to the mission when the opposing forces walk right by you and your CO while being on the ground. If their ghillies were effective enough, the enemies wouldn't have even tried to look for them. They were on their own territory and a spec ops invasion on them would be the last thing they expected.

URPEACEKEEPER: AEG's can be "sniper rifles," but the BOLT ACTIONS offer a few things that AEG's don't...

They make you play with maximum stealth. You cannot just decide to forget hiding and get stuck in. You must play to your strengths instead and work hard for that 1 careful shot.

The 4 or 5 rounds you discuss getting off, will get you noticed far more than the 2 of the single action rifle. You say that with them you will get 4 or 5 hits? Well, your opponents must be poor to offer you so many easy shots.

I found the bolt action, has far more use on a field where the standard of play is higher than most and targets presented are limited and difficult shots. It also helps if the standard of play is that where people call themselves out after a single BB hits them.

Bolt Actions offer a harder game/challenge but with far more reward and sense of achievement from any success. Players must substitute ROF with skills that other players only touch on. All in all, using a bolt action rifle will teach you more skills and make you have to withdraw (something many AEG snipers struggle to do). Playing at a disadvantage increases your judgement and polishes your ability to read the game.

TM M14 is indeed an awesome platform and highly accurate compared to most older AEG designs, but it just feels like cheating to me when I pull the trigger several times <_< .

Each to their own.

Good Hunting ;)

ummm i dont think any serious AEG sniper would be using hi-caps do you?

Bushman - i admire your dedication to skill development and it sounds like the sites you play at are great

sniping arenas, i must admit its all to common down here for someone to need to be hit 3-4 times before they call a

hit which does frustrate somewhat. I do believe that if i'd stuck with the l96 for maybe a few months i would have

developed more skill with that '1 shot' and I have nothing but respect for players who take that route but as our

local site is perhaps a little too paced toward AEG's with no power advantage to the boltie guy

i feel for me the m14 route with ghillie (in progress, see the ghillie thread) suits my style of play most.

unfortunatly i cant have both guns as my first son was born a month ago and i cant justify the cost to his mother :P

I used to have a G3SAS that I converted to a G3Sg1 with an HK51 barrel to make it DMRish.

It worked fine, but I got sick of having to drag the blastard thing through the jungle, it was nearly as tall as I am.

It's now back to G3SAS size.

ummm i dont think any serious AEG sniper would be using hi-caps do you?

Bushman - i admire your dedication to skill development and it sounds like the sites you play at are great

sniping arenas, i must admit its all to common down here for someone to need to be hit 3-4 times before they call a

hit which does frustrate somewhat. I do believe that if i'd stuck with the l96 for maybe a few months i would have

developed more skill with that '1 shot' and I have nothing but respect for players who take that route but as our

local site is perhaps a little too paced toward AEG's with no power advantage to the boltie guy

i feel for me the m14 route with ghillie (in progress, see the ghillie thread) suits my style of play most.

unfortunatly i cant have both guns as my first son was born a month ago and i cant justify the cost to his mother :P

I didn't think there was such a thing as an AEG sniper, oh well. Either way, an AEG doesn't have its place in sniping and a BA doesn't have a place in CQB and various other AEG jobs.

Now that I think of it, that first statement of mine was uncalled for, you have a point about the hi cap deal, but I still stand by that fact that an AEG doesn't have its place in sniping.

URPEACEKEEPER: AEG's can be "sniper rifles," but the BOLT ACTIONS offer a few things that AEG's don't...

They make you play with maximum stealth. You cannot just decide to forget hiding and get stuck in. You must play to your strengths instead and work hard for that 1 careful shot.

The 4 or 5 rounds you discuss getting off, will get you noticed far more than the 2 of the single action rifle. You say that with them you will get 4 or 5 hits? Well, your opponents must be poor to offer you so many easy shots.

I found the bolt action, has far more use on a field where the standard of play is higher than most and targets presented are limited and difficult shots. It also helps if the standard of play is that where people call themselves out after a single BB hits them.

Bolt Actions offer a harder game/challenge but with far more reward and sense of achievement from any success. Players must substitute ROF with skills that other players only touch on. All in all, using a bolt action rifle will teach you more skills and make you have to withdraw (something many AEG snipers struggle to do). Playing at a disadvantage increases your judgement and polishes your ability to read the game.

TM M14 is indeed an awesome platform and highly accurate compared to most older AEG designs, but it just feels like cheating to me when I pull the trigger several times <_< .

Each to their own.

Good Hunting ;)

I hate to bring in real life experience here but I shoot .22LR about 4x a week for 7 weeks straight during the summer and I know the hinderances and advantages of a BA. I've learned the skills necessary to do the same thing that someone with a BA can do (Did you notice I said I own both AEG's and a Spring Sniper Rifle?) I spent about 5 games mastering the one shot one kill. My first game, to give you an idea, with a Stock Warrior 1 with moded hop up chamber I got 32 kills in the course of an hour in about 60 shots. Call it what you will I can do the same thing in a faction of the time with an AEG like my CA M14. The skills I learned in the 5 games with my Warrior 1 did not help me do anything as I already knew the skills (from shooting a .22) Most of it is all in shooting position and what not. Now Airsoft isnt accurate enough to warrent proper breathing techniques although I do use it still the BA became a hinderance. I barely use mine because it DOES take 3 - 4 shots with even some of the most honest players to feel or notice the shot and if they do notice the first they usually shrug off the first shot as a "branch." I've since moved on to AEG's because they allow that second follow up shot much quicker than the BA does.

With a properly prepared blind I can set up and take out 5 guys because they cant FIND me not that they are presenting obvious targets. The difference is that I can take the follow up shots fast enough to catch all of them off guard where as with a BA I would be slow enough to give them the oportunity to set up and look around for where the shots came from. Having said that my M14 has been in FA only during test firing and hop up setting so I'm still exercising the skills that I learned from real steel shooting.

Standard of play ehh? When I first got my Warrior 1 I was playing in Arizona where there is a high population of "Higher caliber" players that are supposed to be more honest better players etc. Truth of the fact is, they are not. A few would call it if they managed to notice it. My warrior 1 chronos at 475fps with .20's and I was shooting .30's There is an audible click when you get hit and most shrug it off as a branch snapping underfoot or a branch catching their clothing. The AEG provides me my follow up shot imediately after the first shot.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'm going to log this one into the long list of things like Chevy vs Ford, (although I know Ford is better :D) ICS vs CA (again recent developments have put CA way low), now AEG "Sniper" vs BA "Sniper"

About the ghillie, a tool yes, but rarely are they used effectivly. I've seen some good uses and they are hard to see but they usually are given away by their surroundings because of simple stuff like their crawl path etc. As far as my combat tactics are concerned, when the *beep* hits the fan I stand my ground and fight. I DO notice that bush because I'm usually somewhere in the middle of my forces in a place where I know the attackers will have a hard time hitting me. When I stop at a location I ask myself "If I were to shoot me where would I be?" and I counter that untill I get a position that is easily secure. I also do not follow the standard rules for cover and concealment. I know how the Human eye works and I can exploit that to my advantage. Even when fecal matter happens I rarely run out of the engagment. If I have an escape route (again with the If I were to shoot me where would I be thing) I can just as easily walk out as I walked in. There is no need to run around. Not to mention the 1337 haxor M14 I have (thats sarcasm btw, it's not that impressive) allows me to put down some serious range on people and put them on their merry way back to the spawn. Knowing your rifle is always key, whether it's BA or SA AEG it doesnt matter I perform with the same mindset. Utilization of your materials at a given time and recognizing your surroundings is always key in attack. Maybe I overthink things but I'm somewhat successfull in my play.

It also doesnt help that I'm under the totourage of a Vietnam Army Ranger Sniper Veteran with a big mouth and a keen desire to teach us youngins how to play. He only has 20+ years of experience afterall in the art :D

it DOES take 3 - 4 shots with even some of the most honest players to feel or notice the shot and if they do notice the first they usually shrug off the first shot as a "branch." I've since moved on to AEG's because they allow that second follow up shot much quicker than the BA does.

With a properly prepared blind I can set up and take out 5 guys because they cant FIND me not that they are presenting obvious targets.

The fact you say your local players, basicly ignore single shot hits, means you have no choice other than use an AEG. Yet, if the average player takes 3-4 hits to call it, I still don't see how you can take out 5 guys in an ambush before they react?

I could not be doing with the "branch" thing and would be enough to put me off the Airsoft skirmish sport if it happened regularly. Heck, you might aswell be shouting "bang!" at each other if no one calls their hits.

The skills I implied from using bolt action, were not actually marksmanship related, but more about knowing where to be, at the right time. Also, where not to be! Much of the bolt action game is about moving when unobserved and hoping opponents are predictable enough, to move into your sights, when you expect them and from the right direction.

There are too many skills to discuss here, but using inferior firepower develops those skills faster and to a higher level, in my experience. Prediction, cunning, stealth, concealment and airsoft marksmanship are some of the key areas you need to be good at to pull off using a bolt action rifle. If you are weak at some of these, then an AEG will help plug the gap.

Good Hunting ;)

I am speaking strictly under the situation where you will have to leave that area. Whether or not you stay really has nothing to do with it, because I'm sure you'd be more worried about the main attackers as opposed to a sniper. But we are all talking hypotheticals here where there are too many variables to say, "Hey, I know this and that and no matter what situation you throw at me, I will win." The fact of the matter is a properly utilized ghillie shouldn't stick out from the environment, and believe me, most of the snipers telling you about the ghillies have properly utilized their ghillies.

You also haven't accounted for the fact that most snipers carry a sidearm, just in case we are in a tight spot, even though that's besides the point. All said and done, you may be looking out for snipers constantly, but you are one in thousands that don't. Ghillies are effective for most of those thousands of people, that's a good enough ratio to me.

Saved me having to reply to the same person...

I built my MSG90 using the best parts I could find and, as a result, it ended up costing me over £1,000 and could shoot at 500fps and hit an A4 target at 50m all day. It used to chrono consistently to within 1 or 2 fps very time.

So, I know it's possible to build an AEG that can do the same job as a sniper rifle (excluding the nasty sewing-machine noises) but that's not the full picture.

There's realism.

If you're carrying a boltie it's realistic and, importantly, it's light weight and pretty tough. If you're carrying an AEG then, to be realistic, it'd need to be a G3 (huge and wobbly without metal body), an M16 or SR25 (not quite so huge, poor hop-up and still wobbly without metal body) or something similar.

In all cases (that I can think of) a realistic semi-auto sniper rifle will be a monster compared to an equivalent boltie. M14 is about as slick as it gets, I guess.

I've said it before: If I was building a practical AEG sniper rifle I'd start off with a P90. I'd never build it though, cos it'd look horrid.

There's the art.

This is what Bushman is talking about. Being a sniper isn't just about the weapon. It's about your attitude and the challenge you're setting yourself.

Cycling a bolt can draw attention to you but that's part of the "fun" of it.

The low rate of fire and small ammo capacity is part of the fun too.

Trying to overcome this aspect of the sport is almost like cheating. It's like throwing thousands of BBs into the air rather than shooting the opposition with guns. Sure, you can do it but where's the fun?

Anyway, I guess it's a bit of a paradox.

You definitely CAN build an AEG capable of matching a good boltie but I'm really not sure you'd want to use it.

It'd either be realistic and, as a result, it'd be more clumsy than a boltie or it'd be as small and light as a boltie but totally unrealistic.

The fact you say your local players, basicly ignore single shot hits, means you have no choice other than use an AEG. Yet, if the average player takes 3-4 hits to call it, I still don't see how you can take out 5 guys in an ambush before they react?

I could not be doing with the "branch" thing and would be enough to put me off the Airsoft skirmish sport if it happened regularly. Heck, you might aswell be shouting "bang!" at each other if no one calls their hits.

The skills I implied from using bolt action, were not actually marksmanship related, but more about knowing where to be, at the right time. Also, where not to be! Much of the bolt action game is about moving when unobserved and hoping opponents are predictable enough, to move into your sights, when you expect them and from the right direction.

There are too many skills to discuss here, but using inferior firepower develops those skills faster and to a higher level, in my experience. Prediction, cunning, stealth, concealment and airsoft marksmanship are some of the key areas you need to be good at to pull off using a bolt action rifle. If you are weak at some of these, then an AEG will help plug the gap.

Good Hunting ;)

The reason I can take out 5 guys with 5 shots is because I'm using an AEG which has a more distinct and easily recognizable sound unlike my Warrior 1 which is almost impossible to hear at a distance (compared to an AEG). They are going to be more prone to reacting and recognizing a hit from an AEG because they heard the AEG fire at the split instant they got hit so they made the link between the two where as with my Warrior 1 which is practically silent compared to an AEG they dont hear the crack as easily and can attribute the sound they heard to something like a branch breaking underfoot or on their arm. I dont think they intentionally dont call their hits (although I've seen people deliberately do so....) It's just the amount of gear, timing, etc they dont recognize it. Stuff happens who knows Maybe I didnt hit them but their gun? Gun hits dont count but the sound is similiar. See my point?

I certainly hope you are not saying that I'm a *suitcasey* sniper, I dont like the idea of calling myself a sniper mainly because my style isnt getting dressed up in a Ghillie but I do know the art fairly well, enough so that I perform the same with either. But of course I'm sure that last part is a generalization and not aimed at anyone in particular so I wont think much more of it unless it is aimed at me...

There is also the factor that in both NE and AZ the highest range achievable is about 160ft MAX and usually that involves shooting through at least one small thin spindly bush in which again the follow up shot certainly helps.

Same thing here - this Sunday I played with my mauser which is a direct copy of the Warrior internally. I had a silencer on top of it and when I did hit somebody other then in the head then they just would not recognize it.

So I guess I will just have to make both possible - a high end SA sniper rifle based on my ICS M4 and a tricked out one based on a g-spec.

Bjorn

I didn't think there was such a thing as an AEG sniper, oh well. Either way, an AEG doesn't have its place in sniping and a BA doesn't have a place in CQB and various other AEG jobs.

Now that I think of it, that first statement of mine was uncalled for, you have a point about the hi cap deal, but I still stand by that fact that an AEG doesn't have its place in sniping.

i'd just like to add my 0.0129921EUR....i believe that an AEG, set up correctly can be a very effective sniper rifle. set up an ar15 the correct way and it makes a very poseable sniper rifle, as does the psg-1. IMO it is the tactics and techniques of the operator behind the rifle that constitutes how effective that rifle may be. but i do believe that it has to be an AEG that has the potential of being a sniper rifle, such as mentioned earlier, a m14, psg-1, m4 or something that falls along those lines. i do not think that AEG's such as the mp5 or g36 can fulfill the role of a sniper rifle.

<h2 class="XE">

</h2>

I certainly hope you are not saying that I'm a *suitcasey* sniper, I dont like the idea of calling myself a sniper mainly because my style isnt getting dressed up in a Ghillie but I do know the art fairly well, enough so that I perform the same with either. But of course I'm sure that last part is a generalization and not aimed at anyone in particular so I wont think much more of it unless it is aimed at me...

There is also the factor that in both NE and AZ the highest range achievable is about 160ft MAX and usually that involves shooting through at least one small thin spindly bush in which again the follow up shot certainly helps.

Hey m8 :P I don't even call myself a sniper. You don't need a ghillie or a specific gun to be a highly effective stealth player. I am not into "realism" as Airsoft is nothing like the real world, as Stealthbomber says...

It's like throwing thousands of BBs into the air rather than shooting the opposition with guns. Sure, you can do it but where's the fun?

If I wanted to score the MOST hits possible, through the day on a skirmish site, I would probably be using an AEG and combining all styles of play into 1 and switching between them as oppertunities present themselves.

Your gaming site restricting your LOS to "160ft MAX" certainly has an effect on your choice of gun. Combined with firing through bushes much of the time, certainly encourages a semi auto rifle to be more effective.

Yet, if shots are limited to 160ft or less, I would have thought players could have heard your bolt rifle and not required 3-4 hits before they call it when they can easily hear your AEG motor.

I am not saying you are good/bad, but you do crontradict yourself. Please remember you said your WARRIOR ONE, bolt action is 475fps while your CA M14 is 550fps. This is a big difference in power. In fact, I would go as far as suggesting the 160ft MAX range of your sites, must be very limiting when you have such a powerful gun with presumably a sensible MED. Yet you compare the two guns at the drop of a hat. If you found the bolt action is not powerful enough for players to call their hits at under 160ft, why have you not upped the power to what you felt you had to with your AEG?

If you played on a woodland site with longer ranges and far less, low level "bushes and branches" you may have a different opinion. A site where you can shoot clearly to 300ft and you have to hide in the open ground, favours bolt actions and ghillie suits, far more than your own environment.

If players struggled to take hits here (unless they were shot 3-4 times) then we would have no sport. Yet we manage to play using nearly all bolt actions and have had players call hits from sub 1 Joule rifles at way past 160ft with single shots.

I still maintain that if you can setup and take 5 players out (within 160ft) from an ambush position with a loud AEG before they can react or home in on the sound, then your opponents standard of play is pretty poor. I never underestimate anyone in the field, but results like that do not just drop into your lap unless your opponents allow it to happen. I guess we just play very different games.

Last time I was out shooting we looked at the performance of the tweaked tanaka rifles and agreed that if we had used them from the beginning of our gaming careers; we would not have developed the same skills or to the same degree. We would have just shot from longer range and not had to rely on stealth/stalking/concealment as much.

I am not suggesting you are worse than me, or anyone else here, you just have hindsight of different sites and experiences that form different opinions and result in different conclusions. Yet you should not try to tell everyone else that your opinion sweeps the board and is best in all situations.

Good Hunting ;)

Archived