New shots of the ICS L85

FarEast

Well ICS has been keeping the internals of the new ICS L85 and L86 underwraps for a long time now and I have been given permission to show you the finished item plus some amazing pictures of the new gearbox unique to the ICS L85!

The weapons should be hitting the shops very soon as they are currently undergoing final tests and adjustments.

allofituj8.jpg

l85sn9.jpg

assembledms8.jpg

foregripgr4.jpg

lowerreceiverrq3.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmm...interesting..No split gearbox? No thank you ICS, even G&G and ARMY has split gearbox..tsk tsk

Yes and both of them fail.

You'll notice that the spring is removed from the back and does not require you to strip the whole gear box.

That gearbox looks NICE! Like a V7 meets a V6... Beautifully simple...

How's ICS's gearbox metal these days? My last ICS V2 box was ###### metal... It was all warped and never fit together very well.

Both my AK and M4's are to the same standards as Tokyo Marui gear boxes, made from pot metal but of a high quality.

OMG!!!

this is GREAT!

honestly, i was hoping for a split gearbox but upon further reflection, i realize that split gearbox wouldn't be appropriate for this type of weapon. the reason why split gearbox works for specifically an M4 is that the upper and lower receiver does open up like a clamshell thus allowing the removal of the top half and doing spring upgrade, piston repair, etc... on the L85, the top and bottom half must slide in opposite directions - like the MP5 design. it CAN work and i have done work (LOTS of work) on my Army R85 with the split gearbox.

the hardest part for ANY bloody mechbox work is getting the spring in. THIS design with the spring replacement coming in from the back is brilliant -- no more fiddling with the springy. this design makes it easier than working on a split gearbox.

i also see that there are WELLS designed into the bottom half of the box for proper position and alignment of the spring. i wonder if the anti-reversal latch will fit with as much ease.

i love it and will buy when it FINALLY comes out. :P

how slight? Being able to increase or decrease the fps by 20-30 may come in handy for some players. Though if its less than that, im not sure it would serve much practical use.

Sure it would, say you live in florida and you throw in a brand spanking new SP90 and for whatever reason you're shooting 352 fps. In order to meet chrono limits you either have to downgrade the gun or not use it for the day.

If you have the ability to down tune your fps by say five that would allow you to use the gun without having to change the spring. Sure, its not all that wonderful on a gun equipped with a quick change spring feature but its still useful.

The same can be said for sites that only allow the use of 1 joule springs over in the UK. I you pop in a prometheus ms100 and you're shooting 333 fps on the dot you're in the same situation.

OMG!!!

this is GREAT!

honestly, i was hoping for a split gearbox but upon further reflection, i realize that split gearbox wouldn't be appropriate for this type of weapon. the reason why split gearbox works for specifically an M4 is that the upper and lower receiver does open up like a clamshell thus allowing the removal of the top half and doing spring upgrade, piston repair, etc... on the L85, the top and bottom half must slide in opposite directions - like the MP5 design. it CAN work and i have done work (LOTS of work) on my Army R85 with the split gearbox.

Just thought I'd mention that the above quote is wrong. The army and G+G L85s need to slide but the with RS you just tap two pins through and it clamshells open.

This looks good, I have just got a G+G one in fixer-upper condition for 60 quid so I am only in the market for the L86.

Bring it on.

WOW thanks FarEast!! Yeah it does look amazing and I like the quick spring changing feature - although it'll be a bit of a bugger compared the their M4 to mod the internals for high RoF etc, but at least you know the design and build quality will be solid!

Unfortunately the one cosmetic thing I really hoped for was the cocking handle action goes all the way back, it would be awesome to be able to pull it all the way back and lock it in place to adjust the hop! I wonder why all the L85 airsoft replicas only go half way!?

Is there any chance, ICS, that you'll do a special launch edition that has better piston/head/spring and tightbore barrel? I'd pay the extra for this rather than having to go down the after-market route?

Good Job!

It's a wireless switch system trying to get more details on this.

It's just a switch that uses copper contacts. There are matching contacts on the gearbox.

When you strip the gun the gearbox (AFAIK) stays in the top half of the gun. The trigger mechanism stays in the bottom half and, cos of the brass contacts, there's no wires running to it.

Have to see how that holds up. :unsure:

Unfortunately the one cosmetic thing I really hoped for was the cocking handle action goes all the way back, it would be awesome to be able to pull it all the way back and lock it in place to adjust the hop! I wonder why all the L85 airsoft replicas only go half way!?

The G&G bolt moves fully backward and is, indeed, locked in place by the bolt catch while you adjust the hop-up.

I wonder why the spring/piston housing is so long. Anyone have some insight onto that?

FWIW, I think the cylinder on an L85 is always destined to be longer than normal.

The thing is that there's no room in the lower receiver for the gearbox to live close to the magwell like it can do in an M4, for example.

So, the cylinder has to be long enough to reach all the way forward, over the top of the magwell, and engage with the hop-up in the usual position above the front end of the magazine.

ICS seem to have moved the entire cylinder and piston forward to achieve this and then made use of the extra space at the back to fit the fancy spring guide.

Archived