Ok, this has been implimented on another forum, which works really well.

However, how it works is like this:

New member registers, however that person cannot post until the following week, but is able to see the full board.

And see how it all works etc.

What do you think?

hmmm but wont that put new members off?

yes some newbies are annoying but that said some older users are annoying as well. all it takes is a gentle persuasion to get them to comply with established methods and its all fine

It isn't designed to put new members off.

More of a "come and watch how it works" approach, though it'll hopefully cut down on the sometimes silly questions on how to use a certain function.

As for the older members, a gentle persuasion is fine, but it's just really there to let new members see how it all works, as i said they still get access to the entire forum, but they just won't be able to post until the following monday.

I can personally say, as a new member I didnt post for the first week,

The first reason to register was better search function.

As I recall the forum is already completely open to guests...

so when a person register- they need to ax us something.

they can learn how this place works as guests.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure i'd like that. When looking for various information for my car, i searched about 3 different forums, plus a good hour online googling things. all i really wanted to know was which headlight bulbs it took, and if it was possible to change them for better ones (i have non-halogen bulbs - lol!). If a forum wouldn't let me post for a week after i'd registered, i'd go somewhere else.

Maybe a probationary period would be better? say, 1 month. break ANY rule and you get permabanned. (including sig limits :angry: )

I'm not sure i'd like that. When looking for various information for my car, i searched about 3 different forums, plus a good hour online googling things. all i really wanted to know was which headlight bulbs it took, and if it was possible to change them for better ones (i have non-halogen bulbs - lol!). If a forum wouldn't let me post for a week after i'd registered, i'd go somewhere else.

Maybe a probationary period would be better? say, 1 month. break ANY rule and you get permabanned. (including sig limits :angry: )

Well, you can still see the whole forum.

It's an idea, so that new people can join, see how it works, and it'll hopefully cut down on the common questions.

If I want to know where this tiny banana-shaped spring that fell out of my GBB M9 goes, I'm not going to sign up on a forum and wait until the following week before I can post a thread to ask.

I'll just go somewhere else instead.

Idiots tend to continue to be idiots. They don't act like idiots for a week and then alter their habits.

*EDIT*

Also, I can't help wondering why Night Raven and Sniper Boi feel the need to communicate with each other via the forums when they're in the same room together, apparently. :rolleyes:

If I want to know where this tiny banana-shaped spring that fell out of my GBB M9 goes, I'm not going to sign up on a forum and wait until the following week before I can post a thread to ask.

I'll just go somewhere else instead.

Idiots tend to continue to be idiots. They don't act like idiots for a week and then alter their habits.

*EDIT*

Also, I can't help wondering why Night Raven and Sniper Boi feel the need to communicate with each other via the forums when they're in the same room together, apparently. :rolleyes:

Hooray for networks. :rolleyes:

Anyway:

It was just an idea, but it has been disapproved so, thread can now die.