hi,

as an iPhone user and someone who uses lots of different places to log in from, I find it slightly painful to have to keep logging in every time my ip address changes (i.e. Every different celltower!) none of the other sites I regularly use seem to do this, the cookie left on the iPhone seems to be enough to keep me logged in wherever I am. Is it too much to hope that Arnie might change this one day?

Cheers!

hi,

as an iPhone user and someone who uses lots of different places to log in from, I find it slightly painful to have to keep logging in every time my ip address changes (i.e. Every different celltower!) none of the other sites I regularly use seem to do this, the cookie left on the iPhone seems to be enough to keep me logged in wherever I am. Is it too much to hope that Arnie might change this one day?

Cheers!

If you're having problems staying logged-in it shouldn't be anything to do with a changing IP address.

I've had similar problems myself.

I was finding that if I log into www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums and get the name & password box, enter my details AND click the "remember me" box I was STILL having to log in time after time, whenever I came to the site.

TBH, I'm not totally ure what cured the problem.

I think I went to the dedicated log-in page, then cleared all my cookies then logged in (and clicked the "remember me" box).

I don't think you're having problems because of where you're logging in from. I think you're just having problems because Arnies can be a bit quirky about it and, possibly, as a result of the way your iPhone handles cookies.

Hmm. I'll give it a try but it does seem to me to be an "arnie's" thing, simply because - if I log in to arnies on my mac, then log in on the iphone from an EDGE connection, it means that next time I refresh arnie's on the mac, I have to log in again...it's as if there's a cookie that can only exist after a good login on one machine. I'll try flushing them all and see what happens though.

To be fair, I had problems with this for MONTHS. I asked for advice and people were telling me to make sure I ticked the "remember me" box, to refresh cookies, to log in on the proper log-in page rather than at the top of the forums and a whole bunch of other things.

I think there IS some kind of a hiccup with the forums. It's as if it causes something on your PC to get stuck in a loop so the cookie doesn't get written or gets deleted or something.

I'm not honestly sure, TBH.

All I know is that, when I logged in on my laptop for the first time after formatting the HDD, it worked perfectly.

When I did the exact same thing after formatting the HDD on my desktop PC it wouldn't keep me logged in for months.

Eventually, doing what I said in my first post was what I think made it work.

It is, there are a number of security features that appeared in the newer releases of our forum software. One was that your session would timeout if you IP address changed. Another feature is that if you change browser your session will time out.

I've changed the IP address setting, so changing IPs should not harm anything now. I have however turned on the feature that logs you out if you come in from a different browser. That way you should only have to login when you change browsers or devices.

At present cookie sessions timeout after an hour (3600 seconds).

Let me know how things fair now for you guys.

Well, I guess I stand corrected. :unsure:

However, I have a laptop which I use from home, hotels, a company house and several offices and I've never noticed that I have to log back in when I change locations.

For example, I can be sneakily surfing Arnies from work then (without switching the laptop off) I'll take it back to the hotel, open it back up and be able to carry on using the forums.

Perhaps it's because I don't close my browser or switch the laptop off between locations?

It is, there are a number of security features that appeared in the newer releases of our forum software. One was that your session would timeout if you IP address changed. Another feature is that if you change browser your session will time out.

I've changed the IP address setting, so changing IPs should not harm anything now. I have however turned on the feature that logs you out if you come in from a different browser. That way you should only have to login when you change browsers or devices.

At present cookie sessions timeout after an hour (3600 seconds).

Let me know how things fair now for you guys.

Brilliant! It is nice to know at least that i'm not going mad, and it's not a "mac thing" :)

Thanks, Arnie!