Cool new digital camo - and this time its BRITISH

Maple-Leaf

I put this here rather than in Gear, because its more News than Gear at this stage....

We are now producing prototype garments which will be showcased here as we trial them in the field. You are welcome to browse our site and read about the development of our Pencott design.

terrain.jpg

http://www.hydedefinition.com

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initial pics on thier site look impressive, however pics never really demonstrate the effectiveness of a type of camo, especially pics taken by the manufacturer/developer who want to sell a product and will make sure it looks mint in the pics.

Saying that, when it gets into production, I will be tempted to buy a set.

hmmm well its better then acu and multi cam.... but it just ain`t flecktarn

i gonna wait and see if this grows on me

Hmn, ACU and Multicam are both good patterns in the environments they are intended for. Unfortunately ACU is effective in a very limited type of environment where as multicam is effective in most and varied environments.

I do agree however with your statement that Flecktarn is also a good pattern, unfortunately only in some european woodland and so again is a little limited in its use.

The thing I noticed most about this pattern is that in the pics on the mfg website the patterns is shown to be about 5 different colours and looks like it has been made to match the environment the pics have been taken in. So I have to agree with Azubi here and would want to see independant pics on a site like www.camotest.de

anyways whats wrong with DPM? it works brilliantly.

Yes, but really only when you're in among the trees and good vegetation. As soon as you hit more open or sparse terrain, you stick out like a sore thumb. Same for US Woodland, Flecktarn, etc.

From what they say on there website, they've designed this one to be more effective than those woodland patterns in areas where there isn't such thick vegetation, etc. - but still seems very much intended for temperate regions where the terrain tends to have more foliage variety, and more predominant green tones.

MultiCam works best in areas that are more arid - i.e., with more pale green, brown and khaki tones.

ACU works well in grey concrete and gravel urban environments and up in the high Rocky Mountains - but as everybody knows, it sucks everywhere else.

I agree that the designers' photos on this site don't really do it justice - especially Mr. Cool there with the hair and shades...

Can't fault their rationale at least, I think their reasoning is spot on:

We were concerned that most current Western camouflage patterns are designed for a woodland environment, and average too dark to be effective outside this terrain. We noted that this terrain is easiest to conceal oneself in, due to the preponderance of cover, and that infantrymen would need their personal camouflage to be effective in more open ground, or at roadsides, since this is their common operating environment when manoeuvering or patrolling. We decided to design for these harder hiding places, not for wooded or urban areas, as we reasoned that this would be where a good camouflage pattern could be most useful.

The resulting design, the Pencott pattern, combines grass and pale foliage tones with several earth colours and a grey that matches both rock and weathered wood. Pale khaki highlights work with the dark brown elements to achieve a three dimensional effect at shorter ranges. There is no black in this pattern: the illusion of depth is created by the juxtaposition of highly contrasting shades, and by the light green elements (which, through an optical illusion due to the way humans perceive colour, appear to recede or sit behind the warmer earth tones in the pattern). Irregular dark patches blend with shadows, bark and dark soil as well as breaking up the human body’s distinctive shape. False edges at the high-difference boundaries of these patches further confuse the eye. It is multi-fractal, meaning it carries a micro-pattern (close range), a macro-pattern (long range), and an innovative midi-pattern (middle range).

Archived