Cool new digital camo - and this time its BRITISH

Maple-Leaf

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off topic but aslo hailed as "New British Woodland camo" I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodland-Camo-Wind-W...1742.m153.l1262

I do a fair bit of Hunting and use a mix of Realtree and Mossy Oak for that, I prefer deerhunter as it's waterproof and totally silent, and it's also so expensive that I wouldnt skirmish in it. However I've been looking recently at fishing sites (Please dont flame me I was only looking at the camo Lol)

I found this new "British Woodland" pattern and thought it looked quite interesting.

I'm a regular DPM man usually, got a full Brit loadout kit wise. I've often wondered why so many 'softers shun realtree, is it just cos it's not military? Surely any camo pattern that gives you the edge is worthy of using, or have I just lined myself to be bar be que'd?

I like it.

However, the cut of the uniform needs some work. I'd switch up a few things and maybe look into doing a newer uniform concept like the Blackhawk Advance Fighting Uniform with built-in knee and elbow pads along with an ITS. Wicking material for the torso that kind of stuff maybe go fire resistant material. The camo pattern itself though looks pretty great.

I do a fair bit of Hunting and use a mix of Realtree and Mossy Oak for that, I prefer deerhunter as it's waterproof and totally silent, and it's also so expensive that I wouldnt skirmish in it. However I've been looking recently at fishing sites (Please dont flame me I was only looking at the camo Lol)

I found this new "British Woodland" pattern and thought it looked quite interesting.

I'm a regular DPM man usually, got a full Brit loadout kit wise. I've often wondered why so many 'softers shun realtree, is it just cos it's not military? Surely any camo pattern that gives you the edge is worthy of using, or have I just lined myself to be bar be que'd?

From some of the realtree users in HK I've found that although it works well when still it makes you even MORE noticeable when moving. It's hard to explain, but a person walking in realtree catches my eye more than a person walking in MARPAT or DPM or such.

I think it might be because hunting camo is designed to fool animals, not humans.

From some of the realtree users in HK I've found that although it works well when still it makes you even MORE noticeable when moving. It's hard to explain, but a person walking in realtree catches my eye more than a person walking in MARPAT or DPM or such.

I think it might be because hunting camo is designed to fool animals, not humans.

Well, in another Thread someone put it this way: "If you suddenly see it moving, you're thinking wtf is that Tree up to?" :lol:

Slightly off topic but aslo hailed as "New British Woodland camo" I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodland-Camo-Wind-W...1742.m153.l1262

That's clearly just a new type of photo-realistic hunting camo, optimised for the greener, leafier woodlands of the UK.

The reason that photo-realistic hunting patterns aren't very good for tactical use (except snipers) is becuase they're designed to allow hunters to be better camouflaged against specific types of terrain/foliage whilst remaining stationary in position. As soon as you move or leave that specific type of terrain/foliage the pattern doesn't work as effectively anymore.

Does anyone have a link to that Blackhawk Advanced Fighting Uniform? I'd like to see that....

Just to be clear - this doesn't appear to be an MOD project, but rather a commercial venture. So it doesn't look like the British Army is going digital anytime soon.

Here's a better photo...

gallery_5157_230_147375.jpg

Actually it reminds me a lot of the good old WW2 windproof smock brushstroke Pattern, just more fractal and digitalized. So one could say it´s sort of a traditional british developement ;)

Btw I like it, as it seems it could work out great in central europe, even in urban aeras. But it would be clearly not suitable for arrid regions....

....and please ...guys stop pretending that UCP/ACU is a univeral Camo pattern...this is clearly not the case... it´s may be suitible for desert/urban environments but that´s it!

One of the very off putting things about the Camo is the Battleship Grey splodges all over the pattern.It looks like someone was priming something in their combats & got paint on them.

Photography is very misleading with colours but the pattern does look a bit vivid.I still have some West Germany theatre DPM from the 80s which has lighter colours than what was issued in the UK,which i think shows that the MOD recognised that no pattern is universal,unfortunately cutbacks put payed to more than one theatres Camos schemes.{unless it was desert or artic}

Of course if you pose in front of the optimum vegitation to show off your camo scheme it will look like it is working well.{& for god sake do you not think he could have worn boots instead of trainers,or is that me being picky ;) }

cant see it, the website is unavailable...

Hi all. Thanks for your comments - always valuable, positive or negative :D

Apologies for the website outage - all is well now, and you can access the pictures at Hyde Definition

Also, older pictures with Mr Cool in hand painted army assault boots, for the purists amongst you ;)

Please be aware, this is very early in the development process - the pattern and colours will be tweaked as feedback from the trials is collated, and the uniform cut is nothing like the final garment designs - it's just a vehicle for pattern trials.

Cheers,

Dom Hyde

Hi all. Thanks for your comments - always valuable, positive or negative :D

Please be aware, this is very early in the development process - the pattern and colours will be tweaked as feedback from the trials is collated, and the uniform cut is nothing like the final garment designs - it's just a vehicle for pattern trials.

Cheers,

Dom Hyde

Hi Dom,how long are you anticipating the trials to last before production.Will you be retaining the Grey{looking at the pix again i'm not sure if it is Grey anymore} in the pattern or changing it for something a tad more earthy?Will you be going the 10 yards & producing MOLLE gear as well?

Thanks for posting,it will be interesting to see the final product.

RT B)

i actually quite like it as it would work really well but i have a fear it will be like the roovaik stuff, really reasonable prices on the continent but as soon as our uk retailers get it the price will jump right up! be interested if it was comparible in price to the ever availible marpat and acu but i can just see it working out way too expensicve at uk retailers

millest

Hi Dom,how long are you anticipating the trials to last before production.Will you be retaining the Grey{looking at the pix again i'm not sure if it is Grey anymore} in the pattern or changing it for something a tad more earthy?Will you be going the 10 yards & producing MOLLE gear as well?

Thanks for posting,it will be interesting to see the final product.

RT B)

Hi Rolling Thunder,

I wish I could give you answers to your questions!

There is no fixed timescale for the trials, they will continue until the pattern has settled into it's final form. The grey (yes it is grey) will be adjusted if the trial feedback indicates it's necessary. Incidentally the grey performs interestingly in those initial photo's: in the shaded, mossy orchard it looks light, and as you say, battleship grey, but in the yellower sunlight it's very much browner. The greens too are cooler (ie bluer) in the woodland shots.

There is a variation on the pattern with a revised colourway which will be trialled in the near future alongside the one that's on the website.

Tactical gear is something that my company would licence out, but I would think we're unlikely to produce in house. But I never say never :D

Cheers,

Dom

Hi Dom thanks for the answer,time to pull up a chair & wait to see how the pattern develops then!I suppose that tac gear would have to wait until the final approved pattern but it would be good if it was all released at the same time,i don't suppose it will be a killer if it isn't. B)

As someone who's been mildly obsessed with camouflage & concealment for nearly two decades I'm always interested to see new developments, especially homegrown ones like this. But i do have to say that from the still shots alone this pattern just doesn't seem to be that effective when stationary, and certainly doesn't seem to offer anything over and above some of the more "regular" patterns currently available, sorry.

Maybe some videos would help to convey how it comes across when moving ? As i know that the realtree still marketing shots always look outstanding, but as soon as you see it moving it stands out a LOT more.

I do hope you don't take this post as me just being negative for the sake of it and i l will monitor the development of this pattern with great interest as i do like how you've blended down the pixelation effect to form a more fluid pattern.

Welsh Dave - you make some good points. But from what I know, most - if not all - camouflage patterns become less effective when you move. Solid colours do as well. That's becuase movement catches the eye - and also because patterns and colours are deliberately intended to work when you're stationary.

So you can't really judge the effectiveness of a camo under any conditions other than stationary and across various terrains.

Welsh Dave - you make some good points. But from what I know, most - if not all - camouflage patterns become less effective when you move. Solid colours do as well. That's becuase movement catches the eye - and also because patterns and colours are deliberately intended to work when you're stationary.

So you can't really judge the effectiveness of a camo under any conditions other than stationary and across various terrains.

Good point Maple-Leaf and it's certainly true that the human eye is naturally attracted to movement, especially the quick and jerky movement of possible predators / food.

But in this case i would have to disagree slightly and add that the effectiveness of the cam would depend on who/what the camo is designed to fool.

I remember that some of the older Mossy Oak advertising materials (15 years ago i think?) explained quite well it's virtues for deceiving wildlife over and above humans due to it's 3d patterns as compared to the failrly flat pattens of "traditional" cam and the fact that from the outset they were out to fool wildlife.

And i can say from personal experience that more natural 3d patterns do fool animals as i've had a bird land on my head before now while laying up with a Mossy Oak headover on! (along with a Ghillie suit, but with the hood down)

DPM on the other hand was designed from the outset to fool humans and to fool them within a certain range, terrain etc.

So whereas the 3d patterned camos do look SUPERB when 'still' they are almost useless when moving, but patterns deceived to fool the human eye such as DPM and US woodland as well as looking like their background when stationary also attempt to break up the overall surface and shape of the wearer when moving.

The sometimes controversial use of black in DPM has been used good effect to achieve just this, i.e. it adds shadows and jagged edges when stationary and also more importantly when moving. So while it may not provide such a high level of concealment as 3d photo type patterns when still, i have personally seen an 8 man patrol virtually disappear while still patrolling down a forest track in broad daylight.

I don't think we disagree at all actually - I just wasn't including "hunting" camo in my side of the discussion. Because, as you say - it's designed to look like the forest background to, while stationary, to an animals eye - not to trick a human eye into not identifying the shape of a person.

Incidentally - that's why you'll see wierd things like blaze orange camouflage patterns in hunting catalogues - people can see you but deer can't. ;-)

Archived