KJW M92 Vertec Pistol

M98Man's KJW M92 Vertec Review (Side review of G&P Stubby Mock Silencer)

DSCN0924.jpg

1. First Impressions/Appearance/Feel
2. Real-Steel History
3. Build Quality
4. Performance
5. KJW's M92 Vertec SPECIFICS/SPECIALTIES
6. Ordering
7. Pro's and Con's
8. G&P Stubby Silencer mini-review

DSCN0923.jpg

1. First Impressions

When my family and I arrived home from Utah today, I was thrilled to see the brown box on the front steps. I ran out, grabbed it, sprinted back to my room, and immediately cut the box open. I mulled through it quickly, making sure everything I ordered was there.

DSCN0928.jpg

Upon opening the box with my pistol in it, I was greeted by a somewhat off-balance sight. To me, the M92 is a very off-balance looking pistol. Too much weight at the back, and because of the extended ejection port (almost all the way to the front sight) there is nothing up front. So, of course, first thing I did was grab the threaded barrel I had ordered and shoved it on there, following it with the suppressor I had ordered.

After cradling it, disassembling it, reassembling it, and giving it a very thorough cleaning, I had reached one and only one conclusion.

This gun was beautiful.

I have handled 9mm Berettas in real life, and this was was very close to the real thing. I can't say for sure, but holding it with the mag in felt about the same as an unloaded Beretta. I think it's a little lighter though.

Every time I racked the slide back, I was greeted with the gratifying sound of metal grinding on metal. I guess, I shouldn't say grinding per se. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, though. After checking the gun very thoroughly, I have decided it really does live up to it's claim of being full-metal. The following parts, on the exterior at least, are metal:

Slide
Outer Barrel
Safety Switches (Ambidextrous Safety, more later)
Hammer
Grip Frame
Trigger
Magazine Catch/Release
Lanyard Ring (More later as well)

as well as the majority of the internal parts.

I give the First Impressions/Appearance/Feel a 9.5/10. The only problem I have is that when the silencer is attached, and the gun is pointed up, when I rack the slide it doesn't quite return to where it is supposed to be. It stays 1.5-2 mm behind where it is supposed to. However, this does not affect firing, and with a little 100% silicon lube on the rails it doesn't have the problem any more.

DSCN0931.jpg

Anyway, on with the review!

2. Real-Steel History (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Beretta92FS.jpg
The Beretta 92 pistol evolved from earlier Beretta designs, most notably the M1922 and M1951. From the M922 comes the open slide design, while the alloy frame and locking block barrel (originally from Walther P38) were first used in the M1951. The grip angle and the front sight integrated with the slide were also common to earlier Beretta pistols.

The Beretta 92 first appeared in 1976 and was designed by Carlo Beretta, Giuseppe Mazzetti and Vittorio Valle, all experienced firearms designers on the Beretta design team.

3. Build Quality

As you've read above, the KJW M92 Vertec is full metal, or as close as it can be. The real question is this:

How good is the metal?

I have put every metal part I can find through scratch tests, and have yet to have a place scratch under my fingernail. I won't try with my knives, because I know they'll get through the paint (they will get through even the toughest KWA orange paint :D) but the paint appears to be very solid. All the metal parts make a nice clink when I flick them, not the nasty thunk that pot metal makes. The rails the slide, well, slides on are unpainted, but that is unsurprising, obviously. They show very little wear, but my guess is that will change while I own this gun.

All in all, I give the build quality a 8/10, just because the metal feels TOO light. However, this gun is by and large the best pistol I've owned, at least this far into the review.

DSCN0943.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

Shall we continue? Or do you wish to leave before we hit the performance section?

Part 2.

4. Performance - Accuracy

I was just joking with you. This gun is, once again, the best gun I've ever used, or, in fact, seen. Out of a stock pistol, at ranges of Five and Ten meters, the accuracy of the weapon is formidable at worst. At 50 feet and in, I really wouldn't want to be near someone with this weapon.

Here's the picture at 5 meters.

DSCN0948.jpg

That's 6 shots, in 2 groups less than an inch apart, each group being less than 3/4 of an inch in width. Whoever was there is D-E-A-D Dead.

Here's the picture at 10 meters. Not quite as pretty, but what can you expect?

DSCN0947.jpg

I tried to spend less time aiming and more time shooting, and look what it got me! :D

As much as I dislike this grouping, once again, at about 33 feet, whoever was there is D-E-A-D Dead.

And, last, but definitely not least, here's the practical grouping. This was fired in quick succession (1 shot per second) but WITH the suppressor attached, effectively blocking my sights. I had to guess where I was aimed.

DSCN0949.jpg

My sharpie died, so I couldn't circle the entry wounds, but you get the picture. Still not bad at all, still D-E-A-D Dead, and this time more quickly and quietly than before.

I have to give this gun a 10/10, for the simple fact that I was astounded at its accuracy.

5. The M92 Vertec's Differences (from KJW's other M92 models)

Number 1. Hogue Grips

The Vertec model has rubberized plastic hogue grips that I find very comfortable. However, I wanted the Elite, with the more squarish front. I need to be able to choose where I put my fingers, because once my hands start sweating it gets bad in a hurry.

DSCN0933.jpg

(here you can clearly see the textured hogue grips, as well as the not-too-tacky KJ logo)

Number 2. Lanyard Ring

The Vertec model, since it is the "military/LE training model", has a Lanyard Ring. I think this is an excellent touch, because I will definitely be wanting one.

DSCN0936.jpg

Number 3. Full Hammer

Some view this as a plus, some view it as a minus. From a looks standpoint, it's a minus, in my opinion. I'm a fan of modern, flashy, minimalist looks. However, its effectiveness is undeniably higher. The full Hammer will not get caught, as well as being easier to cock/decock.

Number 4. Decocking (YES! Just like the real thing!!!)

While this is not specific to the Vertec model (I don't think) this gun can be safely decocked, even when gassed. Two Thumbs Up to whoever actually put it in! Simply hold the hammer back while you pull the trigger, and then slowly let the hammer up while still holding the trigger. Easy as that.

Overall, I give the specialties an 8.5/10.

6. Ordering

As some of you may know, from my now-dead thread in the GBB/NBB section, I originally ordered the KJW M9 Elite, only to discover more than a week after ordering that the M9 Elite was out of stock. I immediately switched my order to the M9 Vertec, and for my trouble got them to include an extra mag :D! Anyway, after that happened, it basically went down fine. The package came two days after they said it would come, but it wasn't a big deal, as I was out of town the entire time anyway.

I think I've figured out the key to ordering from Evike to make sure they dont screw up your order. You HAVE to call by phone and check in on your package before it leaves. You can get one of the CS guys to physically look in your box to make sure you have everything.

My box came in perfect condition, everything was fine.

DSCN0942.jpg

DSCN0941.jpg

7. Pro's and Con's

Pro's

Full Metal (like, really, FULL metal)

Close to actual weight

Rail for attachment of lasers/flashlights

Lanyard ring

Superb accuracy

Availability of Upgrades

Working safety/decocker

Working double-action

Mid's

Hogue Grips

Full Hammer (Form Vs Function)

Semi-realistic serial number (no idea if it's unique)

Con's

Legally required warning on the side... (at least they didn't put something about airsoft or "Cal. 6mm on there...)

Light recoil

Gas efficiency (not bad... just over one mag. Not up to my standards, however)

Loud (unsilenced... :o)

Total:

Appearance: 9.5/10

Build Quality: 8/10

Performance: 10/10

Specialties: 8.5/10

*drum roll*

I give the KJW M92 Vertec a...............

36/40, or an 90%

THAT'S AN A!!! (you know, just in case you didn't gather that... or if you use some twisted grading system.

And, last but not least, part 8.

8. G&P Stubby Silencer Mini-review

When this silencer arrived, I never thought to look inside. My first and only thought (at first, anyway) was that it was like my old QD silencer for my M4. Good looking, but useless.

I couldn't have been further from the truth.

After firing a few rounds with the stock barrel on, I disassembled the gun, lubed it up, and stuck in the threaded barrel. After getting it all back together, I attached the silencer and fired off a few rounds. At first, I thought it misfired. All I heard was the noise of the slide slapping back and forth. However, sure enough, the gun was firing. I unscrewed the silencer, and upon opening it up, discovered something.

It was filled with foam. Praise the lawd! :P

DSCN0945.jpg

(no pics of the inside, sorry)

Anyway, now that I've lubed the rails the slide moves on, the gun is VERY quiet. By far quieter than my snappy little G26.

I'm sure it wouldn't compare, to, say, a TM Mk23 with a silencer, but it has found a very special place in my heart.

This gun is by far my favorite of the arsenal... all the other guys are gonna have to scoot over and make way for the new guy.

Before someone freaks out, I AM M4MANIAC from ASB. I did not steal this review. I simply C&P'd it over onto this forum.

Oh, just don't like vertecs. They're not purty enough, prefer more.. "classic" looking Berettas :P Eh, each to their own. Sounds like an alright pistol though, I'm still kinda used to KJ being pants.

:zorro:

Yeah, I wanted the more classic-looking M92 Elite but of course Evike failed to let me know the Elite was out of stock when I

ordered so I had to switch.

Yeah, I'm used to KJW sucking as well, but I figured they deserved a chance. I'm glad I got this pistol.

Number 4. De cocking (YES! Just like the real thing!!!]

While this is not specific to the Vertec model (I don't think) this gun can be safely decocked, even when gassed. Two Thumbs Up to whoever actually put it in! Simply hold the hammer back while you pull the trigger, and then slowly let the hammer up while still holding the trigger. Easy as that.

Well no actually, on the real thing you simply apply the decocking lever, commonly miss known as the safety, and the hammer is automatically decocked.

Other than that a nice little review. I bought a Silver KJW to amuse myself while living in Italy for seven months, never had a problem with it.

Edited by BigAl
Oh, just don't like vertecs. They're not purty enough, prefer more.. "classic" looking Berettas :P Eh, each to their own. Sounds like an alright pistol though, I'm still kinda used to KJ being pants.

:zorro:

Im with you on that one.

Never been a huge fan of the Vertec, just doesn't seem right.

The 92s ugly sister :P

Edited by chris u'5
Well no actually, on the real thing you simply apply the decocking lever, commonly miss known as the safety, and the hammer is automatically decocked.

Other than that a nice little review. I bought a Silver KJW to amuse myself while living in Italy for seven months, never had a problem with it.

Yeah, I realized I had messed up there. Going in to fix it now, as well as the "hogue" grip section.

*edit* D'oh! Can't edit any more!

Im with you on that one.

Never been a huge fan of the Vertec, just doesn't seem right.

The 92s ugly sister :P

While it is different, and maybe not as classic-looking, it still isn't bad looking. Just weird.

At first I thought the same, but owning it has really grown it on me.

Edited by m98man