Aug Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually considered contacting Steyr themselves about this and similar issues?

Maybe you could get some more decent images, if nothing else?

I'd love to be able to give actual working diagrams to Doc or someone else with access to the kind of equipment to make up some airsoft-accessable copies... :)

Not a bad idea actually, I might just try that.

That's hardly news, those have been around for years - since the AUG was developed, in fact, IIRC (Obviously, with Austria being a NATO country, the weapon had to be capable of accepting STANAG mags. I believe there are adaptors for every NATO rifle that doesn't use STANAG mags normally, the H&K G36, Sig 552, etc.) They're fairly rare though.

Helpfully, I don't think the STANAG mag stock will accept normal AUG mags. :unsure: But it might do, I've never examined the real-steel version. It would be good if you could just fit the AUG mags or STANAG mags without issues, but I guess that's too much to ask.

EDIT: You're on the wrong site, anyway - the actual Steyr-Mannlicher website (in English) is here. I've dropped them a little note asking if there's any way of obtaining more detailed images of the AUG series.

All they can say is no, right?

Edited by Hedganian
  • 2 weeks later...

My silenced AUG...

And before anyone will tell me how bad a phantom kit is/looks: I KNOW. But this is not a phantom kit, it is a working sinlencing/custom made part that you have to hear to belive how it works. And the whole AUG is filled with dynamat... I only miss a short mag for the gun and a bipod that i will decide later... Is there any way to buy a short mag, or i have to make one?

full.jpg

Edited by mugur
  • 3 weeks later...

When I first started airsofting, almost by chance, I bought a TM AUG as my first AEG, mainly because I thought it look cool and came with a built-in scope. Later, I researched the real steel AUG and found that I'd picked a replica of one of the best assault rifles in the world, and part of an entire modular system. Thus my idea for Project AUG was born - the goal to have airsoft versions of all the various AUG models.

It has been almost a decade since I had this idea, and in that time I have achieved much. I have the H-Bar support weapon, the tiny Para/Commando and slightly longer Carbine barrels, I have a pretty accurate replica of the Australian method of attaching an M203 UGL to the AUG. I have railed receivers to accept a variety of scopes, as well as the built-in 1.5x scope.

A true A3, and even the A2, is still not in my collection, but I am finally able to complete the A1 project.

I give you... The AUG A1 9mm SMG:

4786432874_44e8b0daf6_z.jpg

4785801347_672e023518_z.jpg

4786434014_b9f147c3e9_z.jpg

4786431282_fbe016f5ce_z.jpg

4786431798_454c406589_z.jpg

4785800271_ab95e58da9_z.jpg

4785802777_49c8577f9f_z.jpg

(Click images for large versions. VERY large versions.)

Real steel AUG A2 9mm for comparison:

4785866507_8828b18874_z.jpg

Currently featuring a 40-round modified 9mm AEG magazine - however I hope to obtain larger capacity ones in the future to make it actually skirmishable; 9mm magwell adaptor custom built around an AUG magazine from the ground up; custom built working silencer with foam inserts; custom built barrel and modified foregrip block with gasplug removed (the 9mm AUG uses a blowback action similar to a pistol) and tighbore barrel. Feeds perfectly and is completely unique.

All credit for most of the work must go to Doc, who has put incredible efforts into making this project work. The finished product he has produced is better than anything I could have come close to by myself, even if I had the tools that he's got. He told me to make sure to say that it's a one-off, so don't go pestering him to build you one, he's a busy man.

Now, to plan a proper A2 receiver.... :unsure:

...All credit for most of the work must go to Doc, who has put incredible efforts into making this project work. The finished product he has produced is better than anything I could have come close to by myself, even if I had the tools that he's got. He told me to make sure to say that it's a one-off, so don't go pestering him to build you one, he's a busy man.

Now, to plan a proper A2 receiver.... :unsure:

Aw shucks, thanks Hed' :blush:

Everyone else, take note of the bit in bold ;)

As I explained to Hedganian, I really enjoyed doing the adaptor, but it took way too many hours to be able to put a reasonable price on.

It really needs CAD/CNC to make it an economically viable job.

So (for now) Hedganian, you have (probably) the only 'full' 9mm AUG Airsoft replica in existence B)

I do love having unique things. :)

Thanks again for all your efforts, mate. One day we'll have to find ourselves at a skirmish site together, so I can give you a case of beer or something. (Let me know your brand) :D

That's awesome. Attention to detail is everything in that (ignoring the ejection port, and the charging handle). I love it. Good work Hedg, and good work Doc!

The real steel image from the Stey website is the A2 version of the AUG SMG, there are going to be some differences. I believe that the lack of the left hand ejection port cover is due to the 9mm bolts not being reversible, and stocks sold specifically for the 9mm version therefore don't need the second ejection port. My version legitimately retains the left hand port cover as it replicates a 9mm kit fitted to a 5.56mm rifle to adapt it to an SMG.

During the research for the project, I have seen various different versions of the 9mm AUG. Early versions had some kind of compensator slots in the barrel, but these apparently didn't lend themselves well to the use of silencers. I've seen images of them with different types of magazines, subtly different magwell adaptors, slightly different receivers, all manner of changes. Made it very interesting during the design phases and led to many lengthy discussions with Doc via email and PMs...

The closest I can come to describing the finished product to a real steel AUG would be to say it's got a 5th generation 9mm barrel and magwell adaptor fitted to an A1 5.56mm receiver and stock.

Edited by Hedganian

So (for now) Hedganian, you have (probably) the only 'full' 9mm AUG Airsoft replica in existence B)

Till I get off my *albartroth* and finish one at any rate!! ;)

Fantastic work Doc, that looks the mutts nutts! What are the arrangements for the mag catch for the 9mm mag? Can we get some details pics of the adapter itself?

Am rather jealous Hedge!

No, it's mine, dammit, you can't have one... It's mine, my own, my preciousssssss....

*Ahem*

Excuse me... :unsure:

Actually, been having a slight issue with the silencer - seems that BBs are catching the inside somehow and it's significantly affecting the FPS. <_<

Grrrr... Nothing's ever easy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You'd be better off asking in the Custom Parts thread. Although I donn't think anyone will have the time or resources to make such a part. A couple of people have spoken on the idea of creating a proper A2-style receiver, but it's such a huge modification from the existing airsoft designs as to be very costly and difficult to produce.

Where did you get the diagram? Can you get similar diagrams for other AUG variants, preferably with measurements? That would definitely be a resource AUG aficionadoes would love to see. If you can, please post links in the AUG FAQ/Helpdesk thread. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...